Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

'84 Cutlass JY5.3, Custom Tick Cam, S400SX4-75, 4L80e, 3.73s, 27 inch MT's

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2013, 06:03 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Martin@Tick
Looks great Dave!!!!
Thanks man....wish my garage wasn't such a mess, but once I get everything done that I plan today, then I can actually get rid of a on of boxes. Just looks like crap in there now...haha

Oh well, I will have more updates today fosho! Maybe it will be sitting between the frame rails....a novel concept! lol
Old 06-09-2013, 05:43 PM
FormerVendor

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Well?!?!?!
Old 06-09-2013, 06:25 PM
10 Second Club

Nice build! Makes me wish I still had my 84 Monte Carlo SS to do a LS swap and turbo build.
Old 06-09-2013, 07:02 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Martin@Tick
Well?!?!?!
No updates just yet...getting the old trans out took a bit more effort than expected. I had to drive an hour away to deliver it then swung by Atco Raceway's speed shop to grab the engine mounts. Well wouldn't ya know it, they were running their pro, super pro and street eliminator series. I had to watch right??? Finally got home and had to cut the lawn...now I am at my parents house eating a free dinner...lol

I might make it into the garage in a little bit...

Originally Posted by navyblueSS
Nice build! Makes me wish I still had my 84 Monte Carlo SS to do a LS swap and turbo build.
Thanks dude!
Old 06-10-2013, 10:05 PM
TECH Resident

Ok sorry about the delay...work has been a bear lately. I am honestly glad about that. I would rather have too much and not enough.

Only had a couple hours to work tonight so this update will be brief.

Finished assembling what I could on the engine. That includes installing the pushrods, rockers, valley cover and intake. I then followed that up with soaking my nasty azz valve covers in three scoops of Tide with hot water...after pre-soaking them with Simple Green (I love that shyt). This was a little trick from my modeling days that I still use when I need to take paint off of plastic model train bodies. Strong enough for toys, but pH balanced for valve covers...lol

Anyhow, on to the pics!

After a little scrubbin' and tough lovin'...I let it soak then used a white wall brush (worked GREAT!!!)

Drying from a nice coat of Wrinkle Black...

Hopefully tomorrow the trans will be hanging from the back and this pig will be in the engine bay. Here's to hoping!!
Old 06-10-2013, 10:06 PM
TECH Resident

Btw, these are all being taken with my Galaxy S3 so I apologize for the excessive shittiness...its easier than chasing down my good camera.
Old 06-17-2013, 09:53 PM
TECH Resident

Small update...making progress slowly but surely.

Finished up the valve covers with wrinkle paint and am not thrilled how they turned out but it was user error, not the paint. I will probably slap another coat on them for uniformity purposes.

Got the glide thrown together for mockup and dropped in the car. Putting the mounts on the engine tomorrow and hooking it to the tranny to get the frame pads properly located.

Also for ***** and giggles I picked up the tires this weekend. I was doing a quick once over of the old cage when I was pulling the trans and it is not up to my current standards and abilities so I will be cutting it out this weekend and a 7.50s legal cage (or at least the foundation for such a set-up) will take its place. I figure I will at least get the 10 point cage in place so I am good to 8.50s. I am narrowing the rear frame rails and adding some tubing for a 25.3 chassis in the future. Something like this:

Anyway, here's the meats...

More to come tomorrow folks...trying to convince my wife I need a Holley HP EFI...lol
Old 06-18-2013, 09:09 PM
TECH Resident

Well, she's in the engine bay, but for some reason it's sitting crooked in there and for the exact reasons I do not gamble, I picked the wrong height mounts...too short. Not the end of the world...also a few interferences here and there. Just the standard annoying crap...

On a side note, I did make two big purchases today...should see them both some time next week - Fuel Injector Clinic injectors and a BW S400SX4-75mm turbo...she's slowly coming together!!!

More to come!

Dave
Old 06-20-2013, 02:15 AM
On The Tree

Looking good
Old 06-20-2013, 07:32 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 360demonRT
Looking good
Thanks a lot! Looks like my injectors and Turbo will be here a lot sooner than I thought!

Pretty stoked, but pretty broke...for now.
Old 06-20-2013, 10:56 PM
8 Second Club

Received 698 Likes on 439 Posts

Originally Posted by BanditDave
Well, she's in the engine bay, but for some reason it's sitting crooked in there and for the exact reasons I do not gamble, I picked the wrong height mounts...too short. Not the end of the world...also a few interferences here and there. Just the standard annoying crap...

On a side note, I did make two big purchases today...should see them both some time next week - Fuel Injector Clinic injectors and a BW S400SX4-75mm turbo...she's slowly coming together!!!

More to come!

Dave
is this the LS4 front exh manifold?
Old 06-20-2013, 11:06 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by RonSSNova
is this the LS4 front exh manifold?
Yuuuup! I believe I found it on a random forum, obviously some sort of FWD LS forum. It fits, but it might need some trimming.

Got the right mounts install but now I think the crookedness of the engine has something to do with the cross member being slightly offset. Going to attack in after work tomorrow....again.

Stay tuned!
Old 06-22-2013, 07:02 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by incharge
nice buid i am getting ready to do a 1987 buick t -type as well
Cool man, make sure you start a build thread! Love me some Granny Nats!
Old 06-22-2013, 01:38 PM
TECH Resident

Injectors showed up yesterday! Thanks Fuel Injector Clinic!!!

Old 06-26-2013, 06:33 PM
TECH Resident

Oh.....boy....

Fixed the twisting issue for the engine....trans doesn't line up with mount hole but my guess is because the BOP tranny was offset from the start. More measurements to come there.

Vette manifolds fit very well...thinking about how I will make them work. Might use a truck on the drivers side but that will make plug wires odd unless I firewall them all...lots to chew on. Taking my time...

Old 07-05-2013, 09:21 PM
TECH Resident

Here's a little update today...

First off I will start my post with a little rant. When I ship stuff I make sure that it is packed properly, meaning if it has a bunch of openings like the water pump I received today...then I either tape off all the holes or bag the damn thing before I pour 5 gallons of packing peanuts in the box with it. Makes it really easy to get them all out of the pump when you cna hear them crunching away as you spin it. Also, I like to clean off the old gaskets before sending something...feel like that is a common courtesy. That being said, here's he water pump I received today. For what I paid for it, I should have just gotten a new one...stupid me.

Now that that's out of my system I can continue on with the update...

I got a nice set of adapters from Dirty Dingo that allows the Fbody water pump with the truck accessory drive. It incorporates a vent tap in it for the steam vent.

Cleaned up balancer:

Here's a little project I wanted to do. Since I am not using power steering on my car (primarily a drag car with skinnies) I wanted to modify the truck PS bracket to give me maximum crossover pipe clearance. Here's the standard truck alt/PS bracket:

Initial trimming:

Ground and cleaned up to make it look a bit more purpose built:

Primed:

Aluminum painted with clear:

Mounted:

Just for ***** and giggles I slapped on the elbow and put on the tensioner. Balancer also installed:

Accessory drive will be something like this (pic courtesy of BMF_Racing):

Last edited by BanditDave; 07-05-2013 at 10:00 PM. Reason: Added pic.
Old 07-05-2013, 09:30 PM
TECH Resident

Also started eyeballing where the crossover piping will go. I have to figure out a good way to mount the turbo...the S400SX4-75 is one heavy SOB!!!

As far as the driver's side crossover...pretty straightforward. Comes off the manifold, down under the Alt bracket in front of the balancer:

Passenger side is a little more elaborate. Comes off the manifold makes a U-turn down and s-turns back up to join with the driver's crossover. Will be ordering up tubing tomorrow.

That's it for now...jacked up my back a little today so I am hitting the sack early. More to come tomorrow!
Old 07-07-2013, 04:51 PM
FormerVendor

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Get er' done Dave!
Old 08-18-2013, 09:36 PM
TECH Resident

Finally have an update after quite a while.

Build has taken a slightly different direction. For whatever reason I got tired of the big hood on the car and want to make this car as "sleeper" as possible with the turbo engine. Along that lines I picked up my wheels which will be painted body-color like the 14 inch originals. These are from late 70's Olds. They're 15x7 super stock III wheels.

They are in really good shape and perfect for the 255/60-15 MT drag radials I picked up a few weeks back. I just didn't want to deal with frame chopping and cutting the tires on the wheel well trim. More to come on their restoration.

The big news is that I FINALLY have the turbo mounted and can work on finishing the crossover piping. I tried several different turbo orientations and just could come up with something that let me keep the inner wheel wells. I was just going to abandon them but I wanted to drive this car a lot and didn't feel like hosing the engine down with road debris every trip.

I stepped away from it for a while and got to thinking about trying a different approach - shrink the radiator and go with a double pass. That will let me shove the turbo up farther and make room to get the downpipe up and over the wheel well and down under the car...yes, this car is getting a FULL 4" exhaust.

I am going to go with a 22"x19" double pass radiator from Jegs which will put the rad inlet and outlet right in front of the engine inlet and outlet. We will see how it handles cooling duties. I trimmed the upper radiator mounting bracket and will end up reconfiguring the passenger side top mount once I purchase the radiator. Should be some simple welding.

I made a really simple bracket to mount the turbo as well. Allows me to remove the crossover piping if I ever need to. Enjoy the pics...should be doing more work over the next week or so. Stay tuned.

Turbo Bracket

T6 Flange

Turbo Mounted

Old 08-19-2013, 04:24 AM
SSZ
TECH Fanatic

Looks good. You going to use a flex piece in there?

Quick Reply: '84 Cutlass JY5.3, Custom Tick Cam, S400SX4-75, 4L80e, 3.73s, 27 inch MT's