Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

'84 Cutlass JY5.3, Custom Tick Cam, S400SX4-75, 4L80e, 3.73s, 27 inch MT's

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2014, 04:09 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Jimbo1367
Is the John Deere fluid a old school trick? Never heard of it before. If you mentioned it before, my bad.
A buddy of mine that has a 1400 hp dragster runs it in his glide. It is better at handling the heat over conventional fluids but if you do start to burn it a bit it smells horrible...haha.

If it holds up to a 1400 hp turbo dragster it will work for me!!
Old 03-08-2014, 06:55 PM
TECH Resident

Here's my latest acquisition...'70 C10 long bed that I got from a friend of mine. It was his first car. Formerly a 3 on the tree truck, he converted it to a th350 transmission and dropped a warmed up 350 in. Been sitting now for 5 plus years so he have it to me since they are heavily into NHRA comp racing and has zero time for it. Once I get the cutlass running and work out the kinks in my Dads '68 GTO then I'll get down to business on the c10.

Short list:

454 LSX paddled shifted 4l80e
Upgraded suspension and brakes
Rushforth Rated X in 20s and 22s
As much meat as I can stuff under her
Two tone brazen orange metallic/ Toyota super white paint

Old 03-09-2014, 07:40 PM
TECH Resident

Got more done on the Turbo set-up today. Worked the crossover and welded in the tubing to the T6 flange (looks like **** right now because I haven't ground internally yet). Got the flex tubing installed and a vband flange. Should have the crossover finished tomorrow.

That's all for tonight...more to come tomorrow!!!
Old 03-10-2014, 10:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Great build bro. The more G-bodies the better.
Old 03-11-2014, 03:21 AM
TECH Resident

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Monte4ever
Great build bro. The more G-bodies the better.
Thanks bud...it's moving slow but hell...it's moving and that's all I care about! If it takes me a few years to complete that's ok because I finally learned my lesson from building cars on credit! You get them done faster for sure but then when you have a five figure bill looming over your head you can't enjoy the toys and I always ended up selling my project to square up...stupid. This time around I'm doing it more intelligently. Plus most of my time and money is devoted to my family so when I hit the garage there is always a specific task to complete in the two or three hours I have in there so I always try to maximize my efficiency.

Take care and more to come this evening I hope.
Dave
Old 03-12-2014, 10:23 PM
TECH Resident

Here's where I landed for this evening...decent progress for 45 minutes of work (my little boy is sick so it is taking up more time than usual to keep him smiling). Going to need to get more gas and wire this weekend. Might have crossover done by the weekend!

Will update more in a few days!!!
Dave
Old 03-12-2014, 10:32 PM
8 Second Club

Received 700 Likes on 441 Posts

I like it!
Ron
Old 03-13-2014, 11:00 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by RonSSNova
I like it!
Ron
Thanks a lot, Ron! I need to head over to your thread and see how you are making out with your build. I haven't lurked in a while and yours was one that frequented.
Old 03-14-2014, 05:05 PM
TECH Resident

Quick update, finished the drivers side to turbo crossover and will work the passenger side tomorrow.

More pics tomorrow!

And for the hell of it...my dinner from last night...friggin delicious!!! Lol

Old 03-19-2014, 12:35 AM
TECH Apprentice

That looks identical to my 85 regal. I'm running the same intake/elbow set up. What throttle cable and bracket are you running? I'm looking at the lokar but wasn't sure if the 36" would be long enough.
Old 03-19-2014, 05:33 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by chub406
That looks identical to my 85 regal. I'm running the same intake/elbow set up. What throttle cable and bracket are you running? I'm looking at the lokar but wasn't sure if the 36" would be long enough.
I plan to run the Lokar cable... There is a simple bracket included with the elbow that allows attachment to the throttle body. I'm using a 90mm truck DBC throttle body. Need to clean it tho... It's a dirty sob
Old 03-19-2014, 09:01 PM
TECH Apprentice

I have the motor and tranny in the car. Been a year actually. lol Just starting to work on it again. Nice to see another gbody.The elbow was on the motor when I got it but not the throttle bracket. Do you remember the part number on the elbow? I will have to buy one. Have you tried the throttle cable yet? I want to make sure the 36' is the correct one before pulling the trigger. My hot side came with my motor but now im really considering the s480 as well. Mine is for a t4 housing and no bigger than like a t7875 for size or might hit the tensioner. You are going to run the stock computer and hp tuners, aren't you?
Old 03-20-2014, 05:48 AM
TECH Resident

I have the motor and tranny in the car. Been a year actually. lol Just starting to work on it again. Nice to see another gbody.The elbow was on the motor when I got it but not the throttle bracket. Do you remember the part number on the elbow? I will have to buy one. Have you tried the throttle cable yet? I want to make sure the 36' is the correct one before pulling the trigger. My hot side came with my motor but now im really considering the s480 as well. Mine is for a t4 housing and no bigger than like a t7875 for size or might hit the tensioner. You are going to run the stock computer and hp tuners, aren't you?
Using the stock PCM and HP! Before you go changing your hot side there are plenty of BW turbos as well with T4 flanges that can support well over 1000 horse. May want to look into that as well since you already have it set up so you don't have to backtrack and throw away money.

Also, before you go get that part let me run out to the garage tonight and look at it again. I am pretty sure now that I thought about it that it is nothing special and you could possibly get away with something cheaper. I think I might even have another fbody throttle cable bracket that could possibly work. If I can find it I'll throw it in the mail for ya!

Still plugging away....

Should be able to start with waste gate placement and such (running two for the divided housing) this weekend!

Dave
Old 03-20-2014, 03:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

nice work !
Old 03-20-2014, 09:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

subscribed

i plan on doing a JY LS g-body cutlass build myself as soon as i have the funds for it
Old 03-20-2014, 09:45 PM
TECH Resident

Looks good!

How are you guys fitting the stock tb's to the elbows?
Old 03-21-2014, 01:58 AM
TECH Apprentice

Its the size of the s480 that would get me. It a monster compared to a tc or a t7875. lol wouldn't fit under the hood and hit my tensioner. Ive got about 1000 in my hotside so really not wanting to cut it up but also don't want to upgrade turbos in the future. Here's how its set up.

That would be awsome dave! Just like everyone else. Ive already spent waaaay more than I figured. Im 10,000 in with everything including the car and still have the computer, turbo, sensors, and the list goes on. lol Crazy seeing these guy build them for half that. Where are you mounting your fpr? Im thinking the holley unit. Have you used HP Tuners before? Im nervous of the learning curve and blowing up my motor.
Did you have trouble with mounting the TB to the elbow? Mine started stripping out so I put longer bolts and lock nuts on the backside. Hoping i don't have to end up replacing it.
You going to run a catch can?
Sorry for all the questions. Mine has been sitting with the motor and tranny in for a year and I walked away from it for a bit. Yours has got me excited to start on it again. lol
Old 03-29-2014, 10:20 PM
TECH Resident

Its the size of the s480 that would get me. It a monster compared to a tc or a t7875. lol wouldn't fit under the hood and hit my tensioner. Ive got about 1000 in my hotside so really not wanting to cut it up but also don't want to upgrade turbos in the future. Here's how its set up.

That would be awsome dave! Just like everyone else. Ive already spent waaaay more than I figured. Im 10,000 in with everything including the car and still have the computer, turbo, sensors, and the list goes on. lol Crazy seeing these guy build them for half that. Where are you mounting your fpr? Im thinking the holley unit. Have you used HP Tuners before? Im nervous of the learning curve and blowing up my motor.
Did you have trouble with mounting the TB to the elbow? Mine started stripping out so I put longer bolts and lock nuts on the backside. Hoping i don't have to end up replacing it.
You going to run a catch can?
Sorry for all the questions. Mine has been sitting with the motor and tranny in for a year and I walked away from it for a bit. Yours has got me excited to start on it again. lol
Sorry, missed this somehow! I've used HPTuners before. There is a great book out that helps with learning the software. You can also get the Greg Banish "Calibrated Success" DVDs...super helpful. I only have the TB loosely attached but it hasn't been an issue because I am using the studs from the intake I stole the TB from. I'm planning on running a Mighty Mouse catch can. As for the money aspect, you spend what you feel comfortable spending to accomplish your goals. I always spend way more than these guys with JY builds because I want things a certain way. I went with a JY 5.3 this go around because I never built a turbo car do if I laugh a rod out the dude of the block it's only $500 plus any collateral damage (maybe the turbo too). I also build my junk to be driven a lot, but am trying to be smart about parts. This time I am fabbing up a lot of parts myself and NOT using the credit card no matter what. For me, a large balance on that is a project killer.

Oma different note, getting more parts in...need to do a little tweaking but 24" rad and 16" fan will work nicely. Planning up pink up a tread stone intercooler soon. I will hopefully get a little time tomorrow to work wastegate placements.

Need to do some slight tweaking of the core support but no big deal! More to come tomorrow...going to look into hood fit and what needs to happen if it doesn't lol
Old 11-20-2014, 11:25 PM
Staging Lane

Any updates?
Old 11-21-2014, 08:30 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BanditDave
And for the hell of it...my dinner from last night...friggin delicious!!! Lol

In for updates.

What part of NJ are you from? I work in South Philly, and I am headed to Tony Luke's for lunch today! Haha.

Quick Reply: '84 Cutlass JY5.3, Custom Tick Cam, S400SX4-75, 4L80e, 3.73s, 27 inch MT's