Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

1970 c10 lq9 Turbo questions

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2013, 05:44 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1970 c10 lq9 Turbo questions

My dad has a 1970 c10 shortbed and must be going through a midlife crisis since he continually builds motors and drops a new one into the truck. He has exasperated the sbc's that run on pump gas and the different combinations so he told me to do some research and he will build the motor. He has a 6.0 that has been bored and stroked to a 408 with ls3 heads and is running a carb'd setup with a pretty large cam (i can get the actual specs on all of the parts by running out to the garage but I want to get this thread started). My thoughts were to take the 408, run a 4.8L crank to destroke it and throw a new cam, pistons, and possibly switch over to an edelbrock pro flo intake to go fuel injected (just a thought) and throw a turbo at it. The truck is driven on the street instead of at the track, so traction will be an issue which is why i'm thinking destroking the motor and running a slightly bigger turbo so the spool comes in later as speed is increased; 88mm is a possibility

main questions
-would staying carb'd be a better idea than going fuel injected?
-are there any turbo kits for the older trucks that have manifolds for the newer ls motors, if so from where?
-any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated.

he has the motor, heads, intake, carb, connecting rods, etc for the build. the main changes would be cam (and associated valvetrain components), pistons, and possibly some head work to lower the compression and get better flow.

If this project goes underway, I will start a build thread and take pictures as everything goes along.
Old 02-14-2013, 08:29 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I need to see pics of this truck! i was thinking about doing a truck mani setup on my 68 c10 later on down the line.
Old 02-18-2013, 08:07 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I'm having a hard time finding a "kit" for this particular set up. I'll take pictures of the truck tomorrow and post them up here if I remember to. He wants to avoid the cost of having something fabbed up for the turbo, but we will see what happens. He has a 434 small block that he might throw in it for the summer, so only time will tell if we can make the turbo happen for this truck
Old 02-19-2013, 08:20 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I built a "kit" for mine. I started with a log manifold and used the stock minifold on the drivers side. I built it all from there. Mine has AC but am using a smaller turbo so it all fits. I would think fuel injection would be the only way to go.
Good luck.
Old 02-19-2013, 10:01 AM
TECH Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Your not finding a kit because there arent any. A set of truck manifolds and some piping is what you need. A chopsaw and a welder and get busy. Got to learn sometime, might as well do it now and make your dad proud. Read every thread in here, ask questions, and get it done!

Id leave the engine as is as long as the compression isnt over 11 to 1, change the cam if needed, and use a Borg Warner S480 and twin 38mm wastegates. Id convert to EFI just because Im not a fan of carbs. The pro-flo is an awesome intake. Use E85 if possible.

Good luck.

Quick Reply: 1970 c10 lq9 Turbo questions