Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Oil Adapter (For cooler/turbo) Is Thermostatic Option Important?

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2013 | 03:58 PM
Teching In

Default Oil Adapter (For cooler/turbo) Is Thermostatic Option Important?

Just wondering if many of you have been running the few limited options for Thermostatic Oil adapters that wouldn't allow oil to your cooler until you reach up to temp. Makes sense to me especially for shorter trips driving in the spring and fall when it is cooler.. I don't want it to take way to long for that oil to heat up. But at the same time. I can buy an adapter with 10an fittings and turbo oil/sensor port. for $80. Once you get the improved racing thermostat version its $199. Anyway.. just curious what other turbo LS's are running for temps or if anyone has a super strong opinion one way or the other.
Old 03-13-2013 | 05:31 PM
TECH Junkie

The type that use a thermostat will help the engine live a long life. Running during normal driving without the thermostatic type I just had a friend run Tennessee to California, the oil temp was 160F on the freeway with the cooler mounted under hood. That is to cold for burning off contaminants in the oil. The engine oil should run around 200-240 in a perfect world.

Kurt
Old 03-14-2013 | 05:31 AM
TECH Addict

Agreed, if you want to burn off condensation and fuel in the oil it has to reach temps of over 200* oil temps. You can find some oil coolers that have built in thermostats or you can buy the thermostat seperate.

Quick Reply: Oil Adapter (For cooler/turbo) Is Thermostatic Option Important?