Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

How to hook a High HP Drag Radial Car?

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2013, 04:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DHR Darren
Any updates on the chevelle...????
Yes. I posted the results in my other thread. I drove it the 3 hrs there, sat in line for 2 hrs, checked into tech, did the 30 mile cruise. I expected to make one pass and be kicked off the track. Like a dumb *** I zero'd out all the safety parameters that pull timing when IAT's get up there or coolant temp. Car has been tuned in cool weather and it was a little warm.

Anyways, I sat on the transbrake way too long waiting on the Nova to build boost and probably got everything a little hot. To make a long story short the car made two hot lap passes both easily in the 9's but it blew up on the second pass. Had to trailer it home. All the mistakes are my own because I got greedy. I added a degree of timing to full boost and added 2 more lbs of boost. Car ran like **** but still managed to mid 9 passes.

I now have a L33 sitting in the garage ready to put in. If the 6.0 block isn't ruined I will forge it down the line. I also have Martin doing a custom cam for this one and he is going to go through my tune and see where all I screwed up.

I still appreciate all the help. At LS Fest I plan to be the grand champion. I plan to road course it, drag race it, and dyno challenge, plus cruise. I am also adding my air to air IC and if the temps are still not where we want them I will ad my meth injection on top of that. I hope to have the car running in the next 2 weeks. I will continue to update this thread as well.

I greatly appreciate all the help you guys did.

In this link you can see a picture of my car just before the cruise after a 3 hour drive and a couple hours sitting to get in the gates. FWIW I averaged 20.2 mpg with everything to include the passes.

The first two shots are of my car that someone else took and posted on another website. http://www.chevelles.com/forums/showthread.php?t=437889
Old 04-25-2013, 05:04 PM
FormerVendor

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

20mpg with a glide.....that's impossible!!!!!!

Delbert I got your cam finished! Just sent the specs to ya!
Old 04-25-2013, 08:28 PM
Launching!

Dam 20mpg. That thing is a friggn Prius lol. I always liked your car . It's sick looking.
Old 04-25-2013, 09:09 PM
6 Second Club Moderator

Originally Posted by Martin@Tick
Andy, do you mind sharing your rear extension settings and compression settings when you went your fastest on radials? I know a lot of testing and trial and error goes into chassis tuning these radial cars, but any bit of information helps many people!

Yep yep!

Wicked, if you need my cell phone number to get a hold of me while you're at the race I can PM it to you. I know sometimes how things get frustrating while you're at the track and no way to really contact anyone that may be able to help.
I didn't change the suspension as much as I upped the power level. My shocks are revalved so the settings differ. I run mine 4 from full soft on compresson which is pretty stiff on my car. Extension is at 18. Fronts have 0 travel so I've never touched the settings.
Old 04-25-2013, 09:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Martin@Tick
20mpg with a glide.....that's impossible!!!!!!

Delbert I got your cam finished! Just sent the specs to ya!
Sweet. I'll start swapping engines on monday. Should have the cam just in time.
Old 04-25-2013, 09:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by red 95 t/a
Dam 20mpg. That thing is a friggn Prius lol. I always liked your car . It's sick looking.
Thanks.
Old 04-26-2013, 04:29 PM
FormerVendor

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by LASTLS1
I didn't change the suspension as much as I upped the power level. My shocks are revalved so the settings differ. I run mine 4 from full soft on compresson which is pretty stiff on my car. Extension is at 18. Fronts have 0 travel so I've never touched the settings.
Afco's in the front and rear? Who valved your shocks? I got mine done by Mark Menscer.
Old 04-26-2013, 04:49 PM
6 Second Club Moderator

[QUOTE=Martin@Tick;17351193]Afco's in the front and rear? Who valved your shocks? I got mine done by Mark Menscer.[/QUO

Yes afco's. They are valved too tight. I got the rears from Madman. Fronts from Midwest Chassis. Like I said the fronts do NOTHING!
Old 04-26-2013, 05:01 PM
9 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

20 mpg with e85? Honestly that doesn't seem right at all.
Old 04-26-2013, 05:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Nitroused383
20 mpg with e85? Honestly that doesn't seem right at all.
Sure it does. How much fuel is really needed at part throttle driving? These engines get 17-19 in big *** heavy suburbans that weight a 1,000lbs more. I run the car very, very lean at part throttle operation. Just to the point of getting lean surges and then ad just a touch of fuel. Drives better than a suburban doing local driving and highway.
Old 03-20-2023, 04:19 PM

Originally Posted by 9sectruck
I personally have not had mine to the track yet but a guy here local, was playing with a 295 radial and was killing them off the line, a slick same set up would dead hook, he played with suspension with very lil change, he kept backing the power down off the line with no luck.

On the last attempt he upped the initial hit (nos) dont know how much but the car hooked, he shock the hell out of the tires when he let go of the brake.

Dont know if this will work for you but he told me once i get my car to the track throw sum ridicules hp to them right at the hit
(His car goes 9.7 motor and so far has went 8.80 on spray)
I’m trying to find the way to make my car hook up

Last edited by tmack; 03-20-2023 at 04:20 PM. Reason: Hookin up on radials

Quick Reply: How to hook a High HP Drag Radial Car?