Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

holley 12-1800 fuel pumps for FI

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2015, 10:08 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For the record, I have 20k miles, countless hours in traffic, probably 150 9 second passes and 6 or so 8 second passes on my Holley 12-1800. Its about 3 years old now, and still totally silent as well as working perfectly. I will be using Holley pumps for every build I have that doesn't need a cable driven setup...
Old 04-18-2015, 11:20 AM
8 Second Club

Received 698 Likes on 439 Posts

Originally Posted by HeavyMetl
When I went to Holley for EFI training class they mentioned the flat mounting. Don't know if they'll change the instructions, but they admitted that was certainly a cause of failures they'd seen.
Then they need to change that don't they?
I'm going to assume that my running both pumps all the time helps with the flow when vertically mounted.
Old 04-18-2015, 03:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts

My 12-1400 after ~2000 miles is starting to get loud, hope its OK.
Old 04-19-2015, 05:59 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 230 Likes on 162 Posts

So far my 1400 is OK, I have the sec. pump set for 5 or 6 lbs boost-I can also turn it on man. if I want, kind of a backup if driving and a pri pump failure
The only thing I remember in the instrus. was to point it front to back, but mine is left to right, with one pump on top of the other-I do have it low enough so it gravity feeds from the sump
I have room to mount it flat and keep the lines the same, maybe one day, lol
I think I will mount a light on the dash from the sec pump wiring to let me know when it has power
Old 12-12-2015, 01:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Quote from the Holley Website on the 12-1800 pumps.

"This pump is compatible with pump gas, but is not recommended for street driven vehicles where the ambient temperature is regularly above 90 degrees"

It's above 90* most of the year in Arizona... Just sayin'.

I've already had once side of my pump die within minutes of run time. It was a secondary pump that only came on under boost at the track... Race gas too, no pump gas ever went through it. I have two of these pumps on different cars and both are coming off... Aeromotive 1000 with replace both... Drag Week tested.
Old 12-12-2015, 05:04 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by LSmonster
Quote from the Holley Website on the 12-1800 pumps.

"This pump is compatible with pump gas, but is not recommended for street driven vehicles where the ambient temperature is regularly above 90 degrees"

It's above 90* most of the year in Arizona... Just sayin'.

I've already had once side of my pump die within minutes of run time. It was a secondary pump that only came on under boost at the track... Race gas too, no pump gas ever went through it. I have two of these pumps on different cars and both are coming off... Aeromotive 1000 with replace both... Drag Week tested.
I have run them in 100 degree heat for extended periods without issues. Made it from Reno to San Francisco in the middle of august with 105 outside temps for most of the drive. No issues at all.

I can't count the number of A1000 failures I've seen personally, the number is way to high. But to each his own. I'm pretty sure all of these pumps have made it through drag week anyways. I really doubt the a1000 is the only one.

You want to make real power and not worry about a pump failure with long driving trips? Go mechanical. For anything over 1k rwhp its probably the best way to go, just expensive initially.
Old 12-18-2015, 09:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 76 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by mistafosta
I have run them in 100 degree heat for extended periods without issues. Made it from Reno to San Francisco in the middle of august with 105 outside temps for most of the drive. No issues at all.

I can't count the number of A1000 failures I've seen personally, the number is way to high. But to each his own. I'm pretty sure all of these pumps have made it through drag week anyways. I really doubt the a1000 is the only one.

You want to make real power and not worry about a pump failure with long driving trips? Go mechanical. For anything over 1k rwhp its probably the best way to go, just expensive initially.
I'm in agreement with this. I've had my 12-1400 for over a year and I only drive in the spring/summer months in NJ and temps are always 90 and above and can't say enough good things about this pump. I only run 1 pump all the time and it's worked flawlessly and it's so quiet I have to look at the pressure gauge to verify its on. I put on a A1000 before it and had it for 2 weeks and returned it. The A1000 was so frigin loud it sounded horrendous and transmitted a lot of vibrations through the cars interior. A1000 is overrated in my book and the one I had, had the wires crossing over the opening of the outlet port which didn't set well with me and how fuel had to push through and around that.

Love my 12-1400 and it supported my 521 BBF on one pump. Hope it will be able to support my centrifugal supercharged 5.3 truck motor without issue as well.
Old 12-18-2015, 09:23 PM
Launching!

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

I can confirm This pump is compatible with pump gas, but is not recommended for street driven vehicles where the ambient temperature is regularly above 90 degrees".

I drove my truck on the Power Tour last year, and on the day-long drive from Birmingham to Ohio it shut down on me while traveling I-75N. I switched the wires, limped to the next exit on the "other" pump in the 12-1800, and let it cool off. On E85 I've yet to have a single issue. Which is fine, as that's pretty much all I run through it anyway. If I were to do it over, I'd just use something like a 255 for normal driving then have the Holley EFI kick on a big 4303 or something under load.
Old 12-19-2015, 06:50 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 230 Likes on 162 Posts

I had to pull my tank so I could replace the trunk pan (rust) so the pump was dry for a while (1400)
When I installed the tank, I couldn't get the pump to turn on-brain fart, I had hit the ign kill switch while installing the roll cage, lol
While looking for the trouble, I man. turned on the sec pump, which brought it up on pressure
Anyway, when I recycled the ign to start, it fired right up, but the pressure started dropping, so I hit the switch to fire the sec pump, which brought it back up to 43 PSI, then shut it off, then the pri pump was fine-maybe sitting dry for a while, the seals dried or something, but seems ok now
I have the sec. pump set to come on in boost, but also have it so I can man. turn it on, and man turn off the pri pump also
Old 03-21-2016, 09:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Any new reviews on the 12-600 or 12-800? I am pretty sure my Bosch 044 is on the way out in my Monza, it's been making more noise lately and intermittently the car falls on its face about 8-10 psi into boost. I am running E85, but was told after the fact that the 044 wasn't E85 compatible. Oh well.

Originally Posted by LSmonster
Beware, Holley now says that the 12-800 pump is a "RACE" pump only! The "new" 12-800-2 is now the new "street" pump... What a bunch of BS!
Afraid not dude, the -2 just means dual inlets.

https://www.holley.com/products/fuel...arts/12-1800-2
Old 03-22-2016, 06:54 AM
9 Second Club

Received 179 Likes on 154 Posts

AEM and Grams make "044" replacements that they claim flow more and are ethanol compatible.

No idea if their claims translate to reality though

Quick Reply: holley 12-1800 fuel pumps for FI