Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

s400 big hp?

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2013, 11:37 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Any idea on who would be the best for a cam recommendation on a setup like this? Fic says the 80lb Siemens injectors are good to 1200hp on n/a motors any reason they wouldn't work on this setup?
Old 04-12-2013, 04:54 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

frozen boost is a good ebay brand. That is who I go through for the kits I buy and build for folks. Unless they want to spend the cash on a good solid core. But most do not when the ebay ones will work.

Last edited by Sarg; 04-13-2013 at 06:18 AM.
Old 04-13-2013, 06:20 AM
TECH Addict

Bowtie, the 80s may be good for 800-900 on race gas, but if you plan to run E85 they will not go anywhere near 1200. You MIGHT be able to squeak out 800ish if you bump fuel pressure a lot, but then you are killing the flow on your fuel pump most likely.
Old 04-13-2013, 10:41 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Sarg
Bowtie, the 80s may be good for 800-900 on race gas, but if you plan to run E85 they will not go anywhere near 1200. You MIGHT be able to squeak out 800ish if you bump fuel pressure a lot, but then you are killing the flow on your fuel pump most likely.
That was kind of how I felt about them as well, was trying to be optimistic they're cheap. So realisticly probably ought to go with like a 120lb set then have room to grow? Know of anyone that has good prices on injectors? Once I get injectors figured out and a cam recommendation I feel good about I am ready to start putting this thing together. My only other concern is tuning. Is there any chance of me being a newbie with hp tuners being able to tune this thing myself with suggestions from members on here? or who would be a good person to talk to about tuning I would be glad to pay someone to help me with the tuning as long as they are good. Thanks for the help so far sarg
Old 04-13-2013, 11:41 PM
Teching In

any experience with acceleronics injectors? Found a set of 95lbers fairly cheap just haven't been around them much so wasn't sure what kind of quality they were. Or I may just bite the bullet and call up Jon at FIC
Old 04-14-2013, 02:32 AM
FormerVendor

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

This sounds like a really neat set-up. The turbo sounds fine as there will be a ton of load on the truck from the sled being hooked to it. If you get the converter correct you'll have no trouble having this thing light where you need it to and come out of the blocks hard driving the turbine. I would not reduce the downpipe at all and run as much boost as this thing will make. Keep the RPM's around 6500-6700 if possible and it will run for a while that way especially if it's a newer Gen 4 5.3.

As far as the cam goes, it will look nothing like what you would see in a street car, or race car with a turbo on it. It will look almost like a single plane carb application.
Old 04-14-2013, 05:35 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Martin@Tick
This sounds like a really neat set-up. The turbo sounds fine as there will be a ton of load on the truck from the sled being hooked to it. If you get the converter correct you'll have no trouble having this thing light where you need it to and come out of the blocks hard driving the turbine. I would not reduce the downpipe at all and run as much boost as this thing will make. Keep the RPM's around 6500-6700 if possible and it will run for a while that way especially if it's a newer Gen 4 5.3.

As far as the cam goes, it will look nothing like what you would see in a street car, or race car with a turbo on it. It will look almost like a single plane carb application.
Cool thanks for the encouraging words. I know you guys do some dyno tuning but I am half a country away from you. I have access to a dyno that I could rent, but it is at a diesel shop and they won't be able to provide any help. Just don't think I am experienced enough to tune this thing on my own do you do any kind of mail order tunes. Or have any suggestions on how to go about getting this thing tuned? Seen you have spec'd some cams for other builds on here, wanna take a stab at this one?
Old 04-14-2013, 06:53 AM
TECH Addict

The guys at Fuel Injector Connection can probably get you a really good deal. Heck they may even go into a sponsorship since this is going to be a competition vehicle. Worth talking to them. They are a good group of guys.

If you want to tune it yourself, I would start by reading AS MUCH as you can. The hard part is weeding out the good information and the bad information. I have been tuning various platforms since around 1999 and things have changed a ton since then and quite honestly gotten a little easier with some of the software that we have available to us now.

EFI Live and HpTuners are some great choices, but I would also explore Megasquirt 3 and AEM. For your application a stand alone may not be a bad choice unless you already have the HPtuner or EFI live software. Both Hptuner and Efi live also have massive help files which will give you a lot of information about what the various tables do. I also know on Hptuners at least there are some pretty good guides that will walk you through the tuning process.

Lastly taking a class may be a relatively inexpensive way to go about it. When they introduced the AEM v2 I went and took a class just to find out more about the latest features and such through Efi University. It was well taught and while it did not teach me a ton I already did not know, I found I did learn a couple new tricks and tips from some of the other professionals in the class.
Old 04-14-2013, 10:09 AM
Teching In

If you want to tune it yourself, I would start by reading AS MUCH as you can. The hard part is weeding out the good information and the bad information. I have been tuning various platforms since around 1999 and things have changed a ton since then and quite honestly gotten a little easier with some of the software that we have available to us now.

EFI Live and HpTuners are some great choices, but I would also explore Megasquirt 3 and AEM. For your application a stand alone may not be a bad choice unless you already have the HPtuner or EFI live software. Both Hptuner and Efi live also have massive help files which will give you a lot of information about what the various tables do. I also know on Hptuners at least there are some pretty good guides that will walk you through the tuning process.
[/QUOTE]

Yea I have been bug eyed till 1 or 2 in the morning for the last couple weeks reading up and trying to figure all this stuff out. I ordered a book that is supposed to be good help for hp and efi. But as you said standalone may be the way to go. I have heard a lot of good talk on megasquirt and am really going to hit the how to's and info on the megasquirt. I have heard a lot that megasquirt is actually more user friendly and easier to tune with. Any truth to that?
Old 04-14-2013, 10:33 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My Holley HP was pretty easy to use. Set the engine parameters, built a spark table and set target AFR and it was driveable. Drove the car for 15 minutes or so before going to the track. Started out at 120mph ended up at 126. Once I messed with the tune some I got it to run 133mph all on 9psi.
Old 04-14-2013, 05:58 PM
TECH Addict

The thing about stand alones is they do not have to worry about alot of the stuff that OEM manufacturers do like emmissions and such. They are really designed to be tuned and to make power. The OEMs design it to work as it is and with the same tune and not change it all the time. Auto tune and all that are nice, but half the time will get you close but not where it needs to be. Again, if you are starting from scratch, some of the stand alone stuff may seem expensive, but so is HPtuner or Efi live.
Old 04-14-2013, 11:28 PM
Teching In

The thing about stand alones is they do not have to worry about alot of the stuff that OEM manufacturers do like emmissions and such. They are really designed to be tuned and to make power. The OEMs design it to work as it is and with the same tune and not change it all the time. Auto tune and all that are nice, but half the time will get you close but not where it needs to be. Again, if you are starting from scratch, some of the stand alone stuff may seem expensive, but so is HPtuner or Efi live.
I'm thinking a megasquirt looks pretty good right about now, cheap and they seem to be effective
Old 04-15-2013, 07:42 AM
FormerVendor

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by bowtiebandit09
Cool thanks for the encouraging words. I know you guys do some dyno tuning but I am half a country away from you. I have access to a dyno that I could rent, but it is at a diesel shop and they won't be able to provide any help. Just don't think I am experienced enough to tune this thing on my own do you do any kind of mail order tunes. Or have any suggestions on how to go about getting this thing tuned? Seen you have spec'd some cams for other builds on here, wanna take a stab at this one?
I would love to. If you have an email address shoot me a PM and we'll go from there on the camshaft.
The guys at Fuel Injector Connection can probably get you a really good deal. Heck they may even go into a sponsorship since this is going to be a competition vehicle. Worth talking to them. They are a good group of guys.

Lastly taking a class may be a relatively inexpensive way to go about it. When they introduced the AEM v2 I went and took a class just to find out more about the latest features and such through Efi University. It was well taught and while it did not teach me a ton I already did not know, I found I did learn a couple new tricks and tips from some of the other professionals in the class.
Good advice for sure here.
Old 04-23-2013, 12:13 PM
Teching In

I was planning on just changing the ring gap, putting in head studs, and spinning in new bearings. Is there anything else you guys think I should do as far as balancing, different heads or head work, etc...? Was planning on ls7 lifters and hardened pushrods and whatever springs the guy specing my cam recommends. I guess I am looking for the weak points, never pushed one this hard before.
Old 04-24-2013, 08:42 PM
Staging Lane

Keep it cheap man. I toyed with throwing a turbo 4.8 in our pulling truck. But in stock class I don't think I'd be able to do but one pull before they figured it out!
Old 04-24-2013, 09:23 PM
Teching In

That's what I was thinking. It is actually a modified class, most guys are running 496 to 565 ci with dominators and double or triple disc slippers and I kinda talked it over with them and since I'm only going to be a 325 they are ok with it, I think as long as I am not winning all the time I'll be alright...which I don't think is going to happen, I just want to go play with them this summer until my 572 gets built next winter and see what I can do with a little 5.3 before I swap it into my drag truck, who knows maybe I will be able to make it compete half way decent and say screw the big block, this route would only be about $10,000 cheaper

Quick Reply: s400 big hp?