Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

What oil are you guys running in your turbo cars??

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2015, 10:59 AM
Banned

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by oscs
You would be surprised just how minuet the difference between 15w30 and 15w50 is. Once these oils reach operating temperatures the viscosity differences aren't even close to what your describing. As said earlier everyone had a prefrence.. IMO The only people who should be picking apart oil selection are the guys who live up north and drive their cars in sub 30* weather.
My example was theoretical, mystical (made up) and not intended to be a real-world example. I do not have engine oil pressure flow charts handy, nor would I know where to find such things. Perhaps I should start looking for them. And fwiw the numbers on the bottles do mean something, that is, a 30 on the end means that the engine oil will be no thinner than a 30 at a specific temperature, and so forth, meaning that although our eyes and brains may not be able to tell the "minuet difference" you describe, I assure you our engines can tell.

There is some evidence that here in Florida at least, people running a thick 20W-50 in their .0012" clearance 122 cubic inch engines seem to spin rod bearings more often, and have more oil pump failures, and whether the pump failures are due to the bearing trash, or the other way around, I can not say for sure. My aim was only to provide possible situations in which you might want a different oil i.e. if you car will be race tracked all day in 90*F Weather, you probably will not want a 10W-30 oil regardless of how tight the engine is.
Old 10-16-2015, 11:42 AM
8 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by kingtal0n
My example was theoretical, mystical (made up) and not intended to be a real-world example. I do not have engine oil pressure flow charts handy, nor would I know where to find such things. Perhaps I should start looking for them. And fwiw the numbers on the bottles do mean something, that is, a 30 on the end means that the engine oil will be no thinner than a 30 at a specific temperature, and so forth, meaning that although our eyes and brains may not be able to tell the "minuet difference" you describe, I assure you our engines can tell.

There is some evidence that here in Florida at least, people running a thick 20W-50 in their .0012" clearance 122 cubic inch engines seem to spin rod bearings more often, and have more oil pump failures, and whether the pump failures are due to the bearing trash, or the other way around, I can not say for sure. My aim was only to provide possible situations in which you might want a different oil i.e. if you car will be race tracked all day in 90*F Weather, you probably will not want a 10W-30 oil regardless of how tight the engine is.
Well you just have all the answers don't you.. and yes i am obviously aware what the numbers mean. I have seen flow charts at different temperatures and use to work with lubrication engineers with citco, mobile etc. when specing out oils for our machines, so no i didn't just pull that out of my *** or let my "eyes and ears" do the suggesting. What im trying to say is your "made up" assumption of how different oils behave is far from the truth. If it was meant to be hypothetical and have zero real world relevance than what was the point? Pick a decent oil based on your geographical location in the country (weather) and change it regularly.. Problem solved.

Last edited by oscs; 10-16-2015 at 01:20 PM.
Old 10-16-2015, 02:59 PM
Banned

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by oscs
Pick a decent oil based on your geographical location in the country (weather) and change it regularly.. Problem solved.
This is all that need be said for a daily driver. There are many oil type threads in existance for this exact reason: people sometimes have difficulty knowing when they are venturing outside the realm of OEM performance standard minimums, or any other fancy term for "we need a new plan".

I agree on the one condition that the vehicle be a daily driver. You must realize that high performance engines with larger tolerances use a thicker oil, and therefore, the statement above is useless in those instances. That is what I was getting at with those examples.

Quick Reply: What oil are you guys running in your turbo cars??