Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

PROJECT RED ROCKET TUNING HAS STARTED! AES390, Twin turbo, 4l80e. PG21, Post 408! :)

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2014, 07:50 AM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

I talked to Josh last night, and he's got an issue with his OS vs. map sensor. He's got a 3-bar, but only had a 2-bar OS, so he couldn't get it to sync properly. Instant answer is just flash in a 3-bar OS, but since he swapped to a 4l80e, he's got a different bin file for that... so things are on hold for the time being till he can get it squared away.

Old 04-05-2014, 08:23 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

GarshDarn it..... Time for a Dominator or something
Old 04-05-2014, 08:30 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by The Alchemist
I talked to Josh last night, and he's got an issue with his OS vs. map sensor. He's got a 3-bar, but only had a 2-bar OS, so he couldn't get it to sync properly. Instant answer is just flash in a 3-bar OS, but since he swapped to a 4l80e, he's got a different bin file for that... so things are on hold for the time being till he can get it squared away.

I don't wanna be that guy, or the I told you so guy, or whatever, I have talked with him in the past and offered some help so we are cool. I just wanna say this is why you don't take a fresh build to the dyno. You street tune it, get some heat cycles and running time driving it around. Make sure trans shifts, tune is close, no leaks, etc. before you put it on the dyno. My car has never been on a dyno and I feel is pretty close on timing and fuel. I would hate to be paying for dyno time or have it on the dyno and have issues.

I hope it gets sorted out Josh, we are are ready to see some numbers. Good luck and hope you get it worked out.
Old 04-05-2014, 08:31 AM
TECH Veteran

I highley doubt hes paying for the dyno time. Afterall, it is his friends dyno, at his own home/shop

However, i do agree on taking a fresh build to the dyno.
Old 04-05-2014, 10:07 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

he did make some great initial numbers on low boost. i will let him tell the tale though. i would consider it a small hurtle.
Old 04-05-2014, 12:19 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by JAX04
I highley doubt hes paying for the dyno time. Afterall, it is his friends dyno, at his own home/shop

I agree then. That's a different story.

Did you sell your car yet? Jk
Old 04-05-2014, 03:07 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by meckster
Hey man, finally wanted to chime in here on your build. I actually read through the whole 20 pages TWICE. I'm very impressed and plan on using your build as a basis for mine when I get started. I actually plan on reading through it one more time to save photos and take notes.

Can't wait to see her on the dyno!!
Thanks man. and thats aweomse i can inspire someone. good luck!

Originally Posted by 1 fast evo 2
Good luck on the dyno. I've been reading this build for what seems like years now. You guys have done some really nice work on this car. I'm putting 1 together rite now as well. I hope mine turns out half as good as yours.
Can't wait to see the numbers.

Mike Reichen
numbers coming soon

Originally Posted by LT1TA
I'm getting impatient lol. I want some good news.
its coming bro! its looking VERY promising

Originally Posted by Cam72aro
I don't wanna be that guy, or the I told you so guy, or whatever, I have talked with him in the past and offered some help so we are cool. I just wanna say this is why you don't take a fresh build to the dyno. You street tune it, get some heat cycles and running time driving it around. Make sure trans shifts, tune is close, no leaks, etc. before you put it on the dyno. My car has never been on a dyno and I feel is pretty close on timing and fuel. I would hate to be paying for dyno time or have it on the dyno and have issues.

I hope it gets sorted out Josh, we are are ready to see some numbers. Good luck and hope you get it worked out.
i agree with you Cam! but, i have good access to a dyno. i pay in labor and sometimes handjobs lololol. but the OS system is a small problem thats fixed easily. so we will be back at it next week

^^^ THIS ^^^

Alright guys, wow this thread kinda blew up. ive been busting *** on this car the last couple weeks getting it ready. Ive only ran into a couple small issues to start off with. considering this car was in pieces a year ago. i had 2 leaky trans fittings, and the problem with my OS and 3bar map. i had a small exhaust leak, but has seem to go away after i snugged a couple bolts, or so it seems. but like Alchemist told me last night when we were talking, considering all the work ive done, im doing pretty good for not having anything major happen

As far as tuning is going. its going really well actually. Trans shifts, engine stays somewhat cool considering we only have 1 fan on it (its all we have). we will get back at it on tuesday/wednesday once we get this OS figured out.

NUMBERS ! lol.. We have yet to make a full low boot pull yet, but...., while he was tuning last night, we were recording power on his loaded dynojet and this is what we got.

540/530 @ 5400rpm, 9-10psi, 12* timing, heres the catch... 60% throttle rolling into it a little bit. lol. i think this car is going to make some serious power

O yea, i drove it down to the station about 5 miles from my buddies house to fill up. car made it just fine, and damn did it get some looks at the gas station... love it!

under the car!

turbo system underneith

im very fortunate to have such awesome friends
Old 04-05-2014, 03:19 PM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Street tuning is fine, but if you have access to a dyno, and aren't paying by the hour per say, then the safest thing is to put it on there and iron out the issues. If you're on the road and something happens, you can't just kill the ignition and sort it out.

Sometimes you won't know something is wrong till it gets stressed, so full boost, high rpm, etc, and optimally, I'd prefer to do that on a dyno than on the road, but not everyone has a friend with a dyno.

I said it to Josh the other night, he basically went down to the frame with everything, electrical, fuel, drivetrain etc, nothing left untouched, and he's only had a couple small items pop up, that speaks volumes to the attention to details that he put in.

Kudos.
Old 04-05-2014, 03:29 PM
TECH Addict

Street tuning is fine, but if you have access to a dyno, and aren't paying by the hour per say, then the safest thing is to put it on there and iron out the issues. If you're on the road and something happens, you can't just kill the ignition and sort it out.

Sometimes you won't know something is wrong till it gets stressed, so full boost, high rpm, etc, and optimally, I'd prefer to do that on a dyno than on the road, but not everyone has a friend with a dyno.

I said it to Josh the other night, he basically went down to the frame with everything, electrical, fuel, drivetrain etc, nothing left untouched, and he's only had a couple small items pop up, that speaks volumes to the attention to details that he put in.

Kudos.
Thanks Brien! I appreciate that a lot man! and i agree with ya on the tuning.
Old 04-05-2014, 03:31 PM
TECH Addict

Here is a little clip of the car. Its nothing spectacular, but at least you can hear the turbos start singing / this was like a 3000rpm to 4500rpm little blip of the throttle. building very little boost. maybe 2-3psi. Cant imagine how loud theyre gonna be at 20psi+ lol

Old 04-05-2014, 07:09 PM
TECH Addict

Kudos.
That's a no brainer then bro if you have access to it for free or almost. I would do the same. I agree high boost and Rpms stress things, but getting it on the highway is the best way to see of the car is going to settle in and be ok. No leaks or hoses coming off. I guess if we all had a dyno we would run the car in on it.
Old 04-05-2014, 08:40 PM
TECH Veteran

car sounds fantastic man! I'll see you on the street
Old 04-06-2014, 01:00 AM
TECH Addict

car sounds fantastic man! I'll see you on the street
Haha for sure bro!
Old 04-06-2014, 07:42 PM
TECH Addict

Anyone wanna make some HP guesses? My tuner and I are thinking close to 1100rwhp.
Old 04-06-2014, 08:33 PM
TECH Addict

What psi are we taking it to? A locked or unlocked converter?
Old 04-06-2014, 09:13 PM
TECH Addict

24psi unlocked
Old 04-06-2014, 09:46 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by allout06
24psi unlocked
1100 ish.
Old 04-06-2014, 10:13 PM
TECH Addict

Thats what were thinking too. Lol
Old 04-06-2014, 10:23 PM
11 Second Club

Kudos.
Exactly right. I'm hoping to only have a couple of small issues after completely tearing my whole car apart and rebuilding the entire car from the ground up. I am expecting to be chasing gremlins for a while though. Lmao!
Old 04-07-2014, 10:42 AM
FormerVendor

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Mooooar booooooost!

:d

Quick Reply: PROJECT RED ROCKET TUNING HAS STARTED! AES390, Twin turbo, 4l80e. PG21, Post 408! :)