Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Procharger surge valve/low boost?

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2013, 11:39 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Procharger surge valve/low boost?

I am noticing that this valve never closes unless you are really under full load, so I ordered the 9 psi pulley lol. Has anyone ever limited the amount that this valve will open or created a restiction? I would like to see some boost at part throttle so its a little more usable. And please no comments on how I need a bigger S/C, I want to keep it under 10 psi, thanks.
Old 05-31-2013, 02:01 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Do you have the smaller pro flow or the big red bypass ?
Old 05-31-2013, 02:07 PM
Launching!

The smaller one that came with the, black.
Old 05-31-2013, 02:08 PM
Launching!

The smaller one that came with the kit, black.
Old 05-31-2013, 02:14 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Is there a adjustment screw on that one ? I have the big red bypass so I'm not sure on the smaller black unit.

If there is a adjustment screw, you want to start the car and pull the vac line off the bypass. It should close all the way with the vac disconnected. If its not adjust the screw untill there is no more air comming out and reconnect the vac line.
Old 05-31-2013, 07:10 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by conan
Is there a adjustment screw on that one ? I have the big red bypass so I'm not sure on the smaller black unit.

If there is a adjustment screw, you want to start the car and pull the vac line off the bypass. It should close all the way with the vac disconnected. If its not adjust the screw untill there is no more air comming out and reconnect the vac line.
Don't think so but I will have it up to check tomorrow. I am more concerned with part throttle boost, don't want to raise the IAT but seems like a lot is being lost!
Old 06-01-2013, 06:16 AM
9 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What size pulley are you running? I'm currently running a 3.85 pulley and I'm battling the same issue you are..I'm only seeing 5psi at full throttle and my part throttle response is subpar(a lot of that could be attributed to my 3600 stall)...Just feels like a turd until I,m in the 4k rpm range..I'm about to order order 3.70 to see if a bit more boost will improve throttle response.
Old 06-01-2013, 08:36 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 95-1LE-Z28
What size pulley are you running? I'm currently running a 3.85 pulley and I'm battling the same issue you are..I'm only seeing 5psi at full throttle and my part throttle response is subpar(a lot of that could be attributed to my 3600 stall)...Just feels like a turd until I,m in the 4k rpm range..I'm about to order order 3.70 to see if a bit more boost will improve throttle response.
Really, at least I'm not alone with this, I was wondering if there was something wrong? Bob from Brute Speed say's it should be pulling from 2,800, he had an f-body in 02 with 4:10 gears, was sideways in 3rd? But, that was the older style impeller and I don't know what he was using for a surge valve? And 4:10 gears would help with that too! My kit came with a 3.4 pulley, I am installing a 3.2 this weekend, PC told me these are the only 2 options for the P1SC-1. I also have the 4.5in ICs, their inlet/outlet are 3.5 rather than 2.5in so there may be some combined losses there? PC told me with the P1SC-1 compressor map, I won't see much below 5,000? I think that this is high even for a centrifugal? I am going to "pin" my surge valve to limit its opening position, allowing some relief but more boost. At 4,000 with moderate acceleration, I'm still at 85kpa? Would like to know what others have done?
Old 06-02-2013, 05:56 PM
Launching!

Ok, so I did a quick mod to the valve that is simple, non intrusive and can easily be undone. I don't have a comparison because I also installed the 3.2 pulley, but I will get back if anyone is interested, just waiting on a tune.
Old 06-03-2013, 08:28 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by 95-1LE-Z28
There is a huge difference in when the power comes in between your 5 psi and 7 to 8 psi. 5 psi would hardly make it worthwhile for the cost of a blower. Combined with your 3600 stall I'll bet it does feel like you can't feel it until 4k. Bob

PM's disabled, please e-mail me
E-mail: brutespeed@gmail.comob@brutespeed.com

https://brutespeed.com/ Link to website

Old 06-03-2013, 08:31 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Question

Originally Posted by 2002 T/A
I am noticing that this valve never closes unless you are really under full load, so I ordered the 9 psi pulley lol. Has anyone ever limited the amount that this valve will open or created a restiction? I would like to see some boost at part throttle so its a little more usable. And please no comments on how I need a bigger S/C, I want to keep it under 10 psi, thanks.
Les, do you have your car tuned now and you're going wide open throttle? Bob

Old 06-03-2013, 09:05 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

5psi is pretty much nothing for a blower car, very lazy in the low rpm area's.

Going by the pulley sizes I'm guessing this is a 6 rib setup with the small crank pulley.

Any p1 kit we do gets 10-12psi. You just detune timing a bit in the high rpm area. This way you get plenty of midrange power.

Never had an issue with the bypass valves. Is it hooked up to the correct vacuum source?
Old 06-03-2013, 10:42 AM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Ok, so I did a quick mod to the valve that is simple, non intrusive and can easily be undone. I don't have a comparison because I also installed the 3.2 pulley, but I will get back if anyone is interested, just waiting on a tune.
So what did you do?
Old 06-03-2013, 01:34 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Bob@BruteSpeed
Les, do you have your car tuned now and you're going wide open throttle? Bob
No Bob, still waiting, have not heard back from PC either?
Old 06-03-2013, 01:39 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Slowhawk
5psi is pretty much nothing for a blower car, very lazy in the low rpm area's.

Going by the pulley sizes I'm guessing this is a 6 rib setup with the small crank pulley.

Any p1 kit we do gets 10-12psi. You just detune timing a bit in the high rpm area. This way you get plenty of midrange power.

Never had an issue with the bypass valves. Is it hooked up to the correct vacuum source?
Yes, it does work, just waiting for a tune so can't put my foot down!
Old 06-03-2013, 01:44 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by The Alchemist
So what did you do?
I didn't want to do anything intrusive or permanent, so I used a couple of tie wraps aroung the diphram shaft below the linkage. The valve will still work but is now limited to 50% travel. Once I get my tune I can play around now that the 3.2 pulley if on. If I get ant surging or high IATs I can just cut them off!
Old 06-03-2013, 03:29 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

I am confused as to why you started this thread when your car isn't tuned yet and you haven't been going wide open throttle. You're not going to know when the boost comes in until that time. Bob

Old 06-04-2013, 06:41 AM
10 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Yes, it does work, just waiting for a tune so can't put my foot down!
Why would you want any boost if you have no tune for it yet thats asking for trouble.
Old 06-04-2013, 09:54 AM
Launching!

I am confused as to why you started this thread when your car isn't tuned yet and you haven't been going wide open throttle. You're not going to know when the boost comes in until that time. Bob
I guess Bob as you know, even with the tune I was working with there was not much boost below 4000, which is where most of the driving is and where I'm logging fuel trims. So I wanted to know from others what their systems ran like so I would know what to expect, and gives me something to do as I have been kept in a holding pattern for the last 3 weeks! So, I have made some changes on my own and when I get this thing tuned I hopfully will be in a good place mechanicaly as well. So, I went for a little drive with the changes made, and feel a difference. LTFT still short of course, no detonation and hopefully a little closer to my goal! Thanks for your help with the other matter, I will let you know how it ends up, Les.
Old 06-09-2013, 10:18 PM
9 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There is a huge difference in when the power comes in between your 5 psi and 7 to 8 psi. 5 psi would hardly make it worthwhile for the cost of a blower. Combined with your 3600 stall I'll bet it does feel like you can't feel it until 4k. Bob
I got into an accident in the rain last week and the insurance company decided to total my car. As such, I ended up pulling the trigger on a new roller with the intention of swapping my entire setup. As part of the swap, I've decided to switch from the twin intercoolers to a front mount and also step down to a 3.70 pulley....I just ordered an open race valve from your site...Hopefully the intercooler change and the smaller pulley will yield 3 or 4 additional psi of boost..I'm also going to send my 3600 stall back to RPM and have them re-stall it to 3000.....I'm excited to see how the car responds to the minor changes......

Quick Reply: Procharger surge valve/low boost?