Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Random smoke out exhaust on turbo Camaro

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2013, 10:31 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Random smoke out exhaust on turbo Camaro

I've put about 500 miles on my 2002 LS1 Camaro with a turbo since it was finished. I'm running E85 and a Turbonetics T78 turbo. -4 AN oil feed and -10 AN drain. There doesn't appear to be any "valleys" or flat spots in my oil drain.

I've had a few instances lately where my car will let out a puff of smoke, and most times it smells like burnt oil. I got on in the throttle less than 50% today, barely into the boost, let off about 50 MPH and noticed a moderate amount of smoke behind me and it smelled of burnt oil. I dropped my wife off at home and went out for a couple more pulls, and there was no smoke or burnt oil smell that I could detect under partial or full throttle. It seems to be fairly sporadic. I looked for oil leaking onto the downpipe or exhaust plumbing and didn't really see anything...havent found any on the garage floor either.

A few other times it's let out some smoke or vapor at start...it didn't always smell like oil, or at least I didn't smell it, but wasn't sure if it's just something with a turbo car or E85. After the car has sat for awhile...maybe a day or two, it'll take a couple turns of the ignition for it to start. Usually doesn't smoke though...just every once in awhile.

I always try to make sure it idles 60-90 seconds before I turn the car off and never run it hard within 10 or so minutes before I turn it off. The car never burned oil before the turbo build.

Thoughts?
Old 06-03-2013, 11:39 PM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ive had this, my drain setup isnt ideal and is sensitive to thinning oil. What oil are you using? Where does it drain to?
Old 06-04-2013, 05:57 AM
TECH Resident

Rotella T Triple 15w40 (non synthetic)

It drains to the top of the oil pan on the passenger side, about 1/3 the way back from the front.
Old 06-04-2013, 06:49 AM
10 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Are you running any type of catch can setup ? or poss it could be a blowby problem now with the extra power your making
Old 06-04-2013, 07:29 AM
TECH Resident

Yes I am running a catch can. When I have emptied it, it has been mainly water...not seeing much if any oil.

As far as blow by....it really hasn't smoked on WOT that I can think of. Mostly has been on startup or part throttle acceleration. That's not to say it hasn't and I just didn't notice it.
Old 06-04-2013, 07:35 AM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Post a picture of your oil drain line. What size line? Size fitting in pan? Is it 100% downhill?
Old 06-04-2013, 08:56 PM
TECH Resident

I will have to get it up on ramps or a lift to take a pic, you can't really see the angle of it well unless you're underneath.

You thinking oil might be pooling in the line when I let off the gas or something due to inertia? The weird thing is that it doesn't seem to do it at WOT and sometimes it'll smoke on startup after it had idled before shutting down.

-10 AN fittings, line, and bung on oil pan.
Old 06-04-2013, 10:33 PM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Mine did that, drain was at like a 30 degree angle down and flattened out for a bit, maybe just a slight up before it went back down. Rerouted it and its been fine ever since. Keep in mind if there is any crank case pressure there it will make a drain line that isnt 100% a little less. So ya, if there is a flat spot, that plus a little crank case pressure could be??

Quick Reply: Random smoke out exhaust on turbo Camaro