Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2013, 02:04 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hmmm this has got me thinking about running A2W intercooler
Old 07-09-2013, 03:48 AM
TECH Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I went a2w for the sleeper effect mostly. in my truck, a big air to air would be plainly visible. also the A2w offers more mounting flexibility since it doesn't have to even be exposed to airflow. mine is mounted through the firewall where the heater core used to be. and after talking to some of the local x275 turbo guys who run them, it sounded like the way to go. I couldn't believe how cheap they were. I know they are ebay, get what you pay for, whatever. with one of these there can only be 2 possible problems:
it leaks, or it is inefficient.
so far neither seems to be an issue. but again, we haven't really pushed it yet. I am anxious to see what it will do myself. I am very happy with it so far
Old 07-09-2013, 06:23 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have used the frozen boost stuff with good success. That intercooler looks identical to the frozen boost one I have (and paid much more for) and the quality seems good on mine. On a smaller unit on a 4 banger we were seeing a 15 degree lower temp over a air to air unit that was on the car previously with much lessheat soak.
Old 07-09-2013, 08:16 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I always wondered why you never used an intercooler to begin with. The A/W coolers are good and work great at the track but I know that 20 years ago my friend and I put a A/W on his turbo Buick and it was great at the track with ice in it but it sucked compared to the A/A that was on the car on the street.
I would just put an A/A on it and be done with it.
Old 07-09-2013, 11:51 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by jleews6
I always wondered why you never used an intercooler to begin with. The A/W coolers are good and work great at the track but I know that 20 years ago my friend and I put a A/W on his turbo Buick and it was great at the track with ice in it but it sucked compared to the A/A that was on the car on the street.
I would just put an A/A on it and be done with it.
But in 20 years the RD and technology has changed . I know a few street cars with A/W intercooler cruising with no problems in hot summer days. With a big water tank you should see a difference from A/W over A/A because water dissipate heat better than air.
Old 07-09-2013, 02:28 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Agreed, and you also have the added benefit of water circulating even while at a stop, keeping things cool and not heat soaking.
Old 07-10-2013, 08:06 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by fastsspr
But in 20 years the RD and technology has changed . I know a few street cars with A/W intercooler cruising with no problems in hot summer days. With a big water tank you should see a difference from A/W over A/A because water dissipate heat better than air.
I agree that just about everything has improved in 20 years but we found that once the water was up to temp it didnt work as good as the A/A. I cant remember IAT but it was a big difference.
I will say though,Years ago a friend had an A/W on his Mustang and his IAT would be lower at the end of a run and this was a low 7 second Mustang. Needless to say that we were all amazed at the time.

Im sure that now with bigger reservoirs they are much better.

Quick Reply: Ebay A2W