Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Ebay A2W

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2013, 12:18 PM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Ebay A2W

So I'm thinking about putting an A2W together. I know lots of people on here love the ebay A2A, and have great results. Has anyone tried one of these $75-$85 A2W?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/FULL-ALUMINUM-16-5x13X4-5-BAR-PLATE-FRONT-MOUNT-WATER-TO-AIR-TURBO-INTERCOOLER-/190856173519?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item2c6fea17cf&vxp=mtr
I'm currently non intercooled, spraying a ton of meth and barely keeping the IATs below 200*. It's on E85 and I had good results with a 50/50 mix. But I'm gonna put it on straight meth next.

I'm just thinking about putting an A2W on it and lowering the IATs A TON because I think for the price and the results I could get, it would be worth it. I have a ton of room, and a buddy that can fab aluminum stuff in his sleep.

Just wondering if anyone here has used one of these with decent results.
Old 06-15-2013, 05:15 PM
rwb
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You are still going to need a water pump, water tank and hoses for it. The little cost of these might raise the price up considerably, or not.
Old 06-15-2013, 05:45 PM
8 Second Club

Received 22 Likes on 12 Posts

http://www.frozenboost.com/product_i...7ae6f77bd8c7a2
Old 06-15-2013, 06:32 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by rwb
You are still going to need a water pump, water tank and hoses for it. The little cost of these might raise the price up considerably, or not.
Well I knew that. I have a local hardware store that is extremely reasonable, and I've been accused of being a "sloppy mechanic", so being resourceful and savvy when it comes to putting a car together is definitely one of my traits.

My question was if anyone had any good results with them.
Old 06-15-2013, 06:48 PM
rwb
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I honestly don't think anybody has used this on this web site.
Old 06-15-2013, 07:40 PM
TECH Regular

Interesting. Well I will gladly take the plunge and let y'all know how well it works out!
Old 06-16-2013, 02:06 AM
TECH Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have one. actually was quite impressed with the look and feel for the price. Mine is the large size with 2 outlets on the same side. was $120 shipped. ended up being larger than expected actually. I spent maybe another $50 on a pump, hose and fittings for it. I have a large reservoir with a submersible pump inside that I have on a switch. So for normal street driving I can leave the pump off. But if I am going to be making pulls, I can turn on the pump. And for getting serious I can just fill it with ice to really bring the IAT's down. Waiting on my tuner now so I can get results and see how my IAT's look with it. I'll let you know how it works!

this is the one I bought:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/180843067761...84.m1439.l2649

out of the box

mounted and plumbed

Don't be afraid to try new stuff. Everyone on here seems to be scared to step out of their "comfort zone" and try new combos. If a2w's didn't work then the professional teams wouldn't use them
Old 06-16-2013, 08:54 AM
8 Second Club

Received 120 Likes on 89 Posts

You would benefit from more line capacity and pump I will tell you that
Old 06-16-2013, 01:48 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by badhombre
I have one. actually was quite impressed with the look and feel for the price. Mine is the large size with 2 outlets on the same side. was $120 shipped. ended up being larger than expected actually. I spent maybe another $50 on a pump, hose and fittings for it. I have a large reservoir with a submersible pump inside that I have on a switch. So for normal street driving I can leave the pump off. But if I am going to be making pulls, I can turn on the pump. And for getting serious I can just fill it with ice to really bring the IAT's down. Waiting on my tuner now so I can get results and see how my IAT's look with it. I'll let you know how it works!
My only worry is that it's going to "sweat" a lot. Does yours have a lot of condensation on it?
Originally Posted by rotary1307cc
You would benefit from more line capacity and pump I will tell you that
Think just some regular 1" will be enough? I doubt there's much pressure in the lines.
Old 06-16-2013, 05:43 PM
9 Second Club

Received 178 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by badhombre
If a2w's didn't work then the professional teams wouldn't use them
That may be true. But professional teams also do not use $100 ebay units.

That is the real question. It isnt does A2W work, it's do these cheap chinese ebay A2W setups work ?

Although I'm sure there is little doubt they will be better than no cooler at all.
Old 06-16-2013, 06:51 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm always reading up on this and even made a thread asking about the cooling temp vs time of m/eth. My holding back thought is that the IAT sensor is reading a certain temp, but what is actually entering (remember the E85 is pulling heat out as well once injected) temperature wise into the combustion chamber.

Are you like burning **** up or what?

I spend a lot more time on the bullet now since those guys are always pushing the limits and thinking beyond the normal. Check them out if your not.
Old 06-16-2013, 07:51 PM
11 Second Club

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

Well I hope they work out good! I am using two of them in my build.

Here is the link : https://ls1tech.com/forums/forced-in...whp-build.html
Old 06-16-2013, 09:08 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Reject
I'm always reading up on this and even made a thread asking about the cooling temp vs time of m/eth. My holding back thought is that the IAT sensor is reading a certain temp, but what is actually entering (remember the E85 is pulling heat out as well once injected) temperature wise into the combustion chamber.

Are you like burning **** up or what?

I spend a lot more time on the bullet now since those guys are always pushing the limits and thinking beyond the normal. Check them out if your not.
Yea I know the IAT sensor in the intake pipe is not the precise IAT. The actual IAT would be at the top of the intake valve. I just cant see E85 cooling THAT much when it just has like 4-6" of time to cool.

I did burn a piston really bad, and the motor is apart. I'm sure it was probably the 23psi that probably did it, but I just wanna find out if a lower IAT will help me enough for it to be worth it.

And yea, I spend way more time on the bullet too, but I know there's more traffic here sometimes. Just tough to sort through the ls1tech mentality sometimes. LOL. like 1 good post for every 4 posts full of hear-say non-experience.
Old 06-16-2013, 09:10 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by transam69230
Well I hope they work out good! I am using two of them in my build.

Here is the link : https://ls1tech.com/forums/forced-in...whp-build.html
Looks like a pretty sincere build you got going together. I'll just be doing one if anything. I would do one, and still spray straight meth. Something about sub ambient IATs that fascinate me.
Old 06-16-2013, 09:22 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have used a kit from FrozenBoost on a old 89 Cabrio that we did an engine swap on. The part was very high quality and did a good job of bringing the IAT's down. As for the Ebay unit, I remember alot of people on theturboforums running them with good results. Maybe check there?
Old 06-17-2013, 01:58 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by CameronVic
My only worry is that it's going to "sweat" a lot. Does yours have a lot of condensation on it?Think just some regular 1" will be enough? I doubt there's much pressure in the lines.
I haven't run any ice through it yet to test the "sweating". I'm not worried about it in my applications, since I don't have carpet and it will see little street duty. but I will try it and report back to you. I am running 5/8" I.d. lines with a 1000gph pump and it flows pretty strong. no real pressure as you said, but good strong flow even with the water level in the reservoir is above where the return line is plumbed in
Old 07-05-2013, 02:24 AM
TECH Regular

just wanted to give a little feedback from my testing so far on the dyno yesterday. Did some driveability testing and heatcycles with it. using ambient temperature water (no ice) IAT's never saw over 120* and that was after idling for awhile. cruising rpm it stayed between 100-107*and in boost it went below 90. Engine was at full temperature, and during some of the heavy boost pulls we saw exhaust manifold temps in the 950* range. Again, no ice, straight water. plumbed with 5/8" I.d. hose, and about 4 gallons of water in the system. I have a LARGE reservoir, so I will try again more water and ice to it and see how it responds. So far seems to be working very well.

BTW ambient temperature outside was about 80* and VERY humid, no signs of sweat from the I/C either

Last edited by badhombre; 07-05-2013 at 02:31 AM.
Old 07-05-2013, 05:02 AM
9 Second Club

Received 178 Likes on 154 Posts

What turbo, what boost, what were temps like before the cooler ?
Old 07-06-2013, 08:26 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Worth watching. Good info guys. Like to see a lot of results In here though...
Old 07-06-2013, 02:49 PM
TECH Regular

turbo is a gt45. we only had it to 3 psi. This is an all new setup so this was setting a base tune and mostly getting driveability stuff. still spent about 4 hours on the rollers. the boost pulls were quick roll-ins from a steady held cruise speed. I'll post up more when we get it back up for some actual high boost pulls. from what we saw so far the IAT's dropped as boost climbed though

Quick Reply: Ebay A2W