Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Ebay A2W

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2013, 03:12 PM
9 Second Club

Received 180 Likes on 155 Posts

3psi ? so actual charge temps before the cooler probably rose almost nothing in the first place !
Old 07-06-2013, 10:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I going to use the frozenboost kit to in my build too but I'm about 3 to 4 month away to start put it in the car. It going to be in a 408 motor. I going to subscribe I know it going to help me a lot.
Old 07-07-2013, 01:19 PM
TECH Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by stevieturbo
3psi ? so actual charge temps before the cooler probably rose almost nothing in the first place !
using non-contact thermometer on charge pipes while it was cruising, the charge pipe to the I/C was around 160-170. the one coming out was 100 ish. 70* drop under cruising in a heat soaked engine bay with. I'll take that over an air to air
Old 07-07-2013, 01:26 PM
9 Second Club

Something is badly wrong there. At cruise you should be making little or no boost, so air temps both before and after the cooler should be near ambient.

Or do you mean the tests were carried out with the engine under load and making boost ?

With an A2A you should have no trouble getting charge temps down to ambient with only 3psi. I'm actually shocked you are seeing such high temps before the cooler with such low boost.
Old 07-07-2013, 05:08 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Something is badly wrong there. At cruise you should be making little or no boost, so air temps both before and after the cooler should be near ambient.

Or do you mean the tests were carried out with the engine under load and making boost ?

With an A2A you should have no trouble getting charge temps down to ambient with only 3psi. I'm actually shocked you are seeing such high temps before the cooler with such low boost.
The charge pipe temp BEFORE the intercooler is not going to be ambient. No way is the charge pipe going to be ambient before the cooler even if low load cruising for 5 minutes. Why would it?
Old 07-07-2013, 05:16 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by S10LSa
You are misunderstanding what he is saying. The charge pipe BEFORE the intercooler is not going to be ambient. No way is the charge pipe going to be ambient before the cooler even if low load cruising for 5 minutes.
Care to explain why not ?

It has normal ambient air entering the turbo. It is not getting compressed, so no further heat is being generated.

So there really is little reason it should be much hotter than ambient.
Old 07-07-2013, 05:20 PM
Teching In

Lol. Read his post again.
Old 07-07-2013, 05:22 PM
Teching In

Try it yourself. Do some serious logging in the late spring or summertime and you will see what bad hombre is saying. Lots of heat coming from the engine bay and that turbo even if its under no boost.
Old 07-07-2013, 05:25 PM
Teching In

the cold side of the turbo is probably 200-300f . After driven around a while, with a heat soaked engine bay.
Old 07-07-2013, 05:32 PM
Teching In

I sure dont have normal ambient air entering my turbo. Some might. I dont. My filter is under my hot hood as probaly alot of peoples are.
Old 07-07-2013, 06:40 PM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Care to explain why not ?

It has normal ambient air entering the turbo. It is not getting compressed, so no further heat is being generated.

So there really is little reason it should be much hotter than ambient.
Drive your turbo car for one mile after its warmed up. Touch the turbo, after you get back from the er, lets us know why there is "little reason it should be hotter than ambient"!
Old 07-07-2013, 06:45 PM
9 Second Club

The impeller and compressor cover do not get that hot. Yes there is some heat, but as the air spends such little time in contact with these parts, minimal heat will get passed on to the air.

I did various testing many years ago, and never had any issues that would give rise to concern. The temperatures claimed here are excessive.
Old 07-07-2013, 07:40 PM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sure thing. Whatever you tell yourself.
Old 07-08-2013, 07:30 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The impeller and compressor cover do not get that hot. Yes there is some heat, but as the air spends such little time in contact with these parts, minimal heat will get passed on to the air.

I did various testing many years ago, and never had any issues that would give rise to concern. The temperatures claimed here are excessive.
Sorry...no. Just because they call it "the cold side" doesnt mean its actually cold.
Old 07-08-2013, 08:57 AM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by vwdave
Sorry...no. Just because they call it "the cold side" doesnt mean its actually cold.

Perhaps they should call it "ambient side", as unless it's a horrifically designed sytem, at low loads temps should be close to ambient
Old 07-08-2013, 09:47 AM
TECH Apprentice

I believe that the charge pipes themselves would get that hot under normal cruising conditions as my S480 cold side gets hot enough to blister your hand if you touch it after cruising in the summer, but that doesnt mean that the air inside those pipes pre intercooler is the same temp as the pipe itself. Granted due to the fact that it is in contact with the hot turbo charger and those hot charge pipes it will be slightly higher than ambient for the engine bay when it hits the intercooler but not by much.

What is good is the fact that the air inside the pipe is cool enough to remove the heat from the cold side downstream of the intercooler.

Bad Hombre
Do you have any data on the IAT's post intercooler, also did you do anything on the water side, like ice, fresh cool water ect?
Old 07-08-2013, 10:21 AM
TECH Enthusiast

These china W2A's do work when sized properly. We have seen 40* IAT @ 15 psi on a LQ4 and a pt4788 on a 95 degree day (only a 0.5psi drop also). You will need alot of ice to maintain that all day though. Good luck.
Old 07-08-2013, 12:27 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Preston99WS6
I believe that the charge pipes themselves would get that hot under normal cruising conditions as my S480 cold side gets hot enough to blister your hand if you touch it after cruising in the summer, but that doesnt mean that the air inside those pipes pre intercooler is the same temp as the pipe itself. Granted due to the fact that it is in contact with the hot turbo charger and those hot charge pipes it will be slightly higher than ambient for the engine bay when it hits the intercooler but not by much.

What is good is the fact that the air inside the pipe is cool enough to remove the heat from the cold side downstream of the intercooler.

Bad Hombre
Do you have any data on the IAT's post intercooler, also did you do anything on the water side, like ice, fresh cool water ect?
When I say it was on the rollers for 4 hours, it was running in gear most of that time. 30mph cruise, 40 mph cruise, 50, etc. and slight roll ins from each mph.

My IAT is in the intake itself in the evap location. so temps I posted are actual intake temps that the engine is seeing. As for water, that was just using ambient temp water right out of a hose. no ice used. so ~70* temp drop from lukewarm water isn't bad IMO. going back this week for some actual boost pulls and going to put some ice in the reservoir to see what it pulls the temps down to
Old 07-08-2013, 01:19 PM
TECH Apprentice

Those results are pretty sick man, I have been contemplating doing a A2W for a little while now to pull some weight away from the front of my car and hide the intercooler (for whatever reason it scares the grudge guys away at the local tracks, lots of Nitrous Fox's out here that dont want to mess with a turbo LS since there are a few really fast ones in the area.), think this just about has me convinced. It should also out flow my current A2A.

Thanks for posting results and keep posting.
Old 07-08-2013, 01:38 PM
TECH Addict

If they are that cheap and you have space why not mount two of them in parallel that way even if the cores are crap you have sufficent capacity. Are you planning on running iced water or just straight water? Any reason for not going air to air?

Quick Reply: Ebay A2W