Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

RG-45 Wastegate Boost Creep

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2013, 12:04 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RG-45 Wastegate Boost Creep

I have a Turbonetics wastegate on my setup with the 5 pound spring installed. The boost never seems to level off and continues to climb (158kpa in this log). Boost is referenced from the compressor cover and ran to the bottom port on the gate per the instructions. The other port on the bottom is plugged and only one port on the top is plugged. The forth port on the top is left vented to the atmosphere.

Exhaust is an open down pipe that is dumped by the bellhousing. Could exhaust backpressure (not enough?) be causing the issue?

Old 07-01-2013, 08:57 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If everything is plumbed correctly and its creeping up on boost 2 things could be causing it.

1. Gate location is not good enough, causing it to not bleed off enough exhaust thus it keep building boost up

2. Gate is not large enough to dump the exhaust it needs to in order to keep the boost down.

Is this someone turbo kit you're using, or was it built by you/custom?
Old 07-01-2013, 11:57 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by TooLateVTEC
If everything is plumbed correctly and its creeping up on boost 2 things could be causing it.

1. Gate location is not good enough, causing it to not bleed off enough exhaust thus it keep building boost up

2. Gate is not large enough to dump the exhaust it needs to in order to keep the boost down.

Is this someone turbo kit you're using, or was it built by you/custom?
I'm running a Huron Speed truck manifold kit and the wastegate is 45mm.
Old 07-01-2013, 12:15 PM
9 Second Club

Received 179 Likes on 154 Posts

You need more flow out the wastegate as mentioned above.

I notice there is what looks like some sort of adjustment on the top of the w/g. Is this restricting the valve opening ?
Old 07-01-2013, 12:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by LT1RAY
I'm running a Huron Speed truck manifold kit and the wastegate is 45mm.
Since its their kit, I would be calling them to talk to them about the problem and see what they say. You might end up having to put a bigger gate on to bleed some more exhaust out to stop from it creeping up on the boost.
Old 07-01-2013, 12:32 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by stevieturbo
You need more flow out the wastegate as mentioned above.

I notice there is what looks like some sort of adjustment on the top of the w/g. Is this restricting the valve opening ?

The gate has an adjustable preload to the top of the spring. 2-3 full rotations equals about 1 psi increase. Right now it's backed off completely.

Would a 60mm gate be enough?
Old 07-01-2013, 12:36 PM
9 Second Club

Whilst it may pre-load the spring more, they usually also restrict the opening of the valve.

A 60mm gate would offer a huge improvement in flow. Although that will of course depend whether the gate is the restriction or the pipework design leading to the gate.
Old 07-01-2013, 12:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Whilst it may pre-load the spring more, they usually also restrict the opening of the valve.

A 60mm gate would offer a huge improvement in flow. Although that will of course depend whether the gate is the restriction or the pipework design leading to the gate.

This is the only picture I could find of the merge/wastegate routing.

Old 07-01-2013, 01:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

That is a crappy location, IMO. Its very similar to the location where ours used to be before we moved it and went to duals...ours was in the same spot, but didnt have the pipe between the gate and the merge like that.

Our car did the same thing like yours is doing, and it also makes it take longer to spool up.

I know fitment is tight in there so im sure theres no much more they couldve done to get the turbo to mount in that area and still have room for the hot and cold side piping, plus down pipe.

I would willing to say a 60mm gate would most likely fix the boost creep, but its hard to really say. I would hate to spend the money for the kit, then buy a bigger gate and it doesnt solve the issue.

How much boost are you trying to run (or not run, lol) ?
Old 07-01-2013, 11:58 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I would like to run 10-11ish without creep. Would dual 38's be better? Not really sure if they would fit in there though lol. I could also install a larger wastegate pipe (2.5") into the merge and do a 60mm in the same location.
Old 07-02-2013, 10:29 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by LT1RAY
I would like to run 10-11ish without creep. Would dual 38's be better? Not really sure if they would fit in there though lol. I could also install a larger wastegate pipe (2.5") into the merge and do a 60mm in the same location.
Duals would be IDEAL, after we swapped from the one 60mm where yours is now, to dual 60's boost control does whatever we want it to.

If you can do it and still have ground clearance, the ideal spot is right where the pipes start to bend up towards to turbo merge on each side..thats where ours is on the 91. I can get you a pic if you want, we're using truck manifolds as well, but no v-bands.

You would need to get some tubing to mount the gate flange to, hold that up there on the hot side pipes, mark it, use a plasma cutter (would be ideal) to cut the holes, weld up the tubing/gate flange. Then you would need to redo your vacuum line setup, but that would be WAY worth it for the control you would have.

I wont mess your thread up, but heres a link to the picture of where our used to be and how it did not work.
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d1...1Camaro004.jpg
Old 07-02-2013, 03:52 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 59 Likes on 44 Posts

We haven't had any issues with creep from customers. This location is right in line of exhaust flow from both banks. I ran a 38mm gate in this location on my personal car last year with an 8psi spring and the car never saw above 8psi, controlled it fine! We will see about getting you into a different gate to try Ray!

Jon

Featuring 6 different turbo kits for your F-body!
Check us out on Facebook at: www.facebook.com/HuronSpeed
Old 07-02-2013, 06:45 PM
9 Second Club

I guess then next question is what turbo and turbine housing ?
Old 07-02-2013, 07:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I guess then next question is what turbo and turbine housing ?
It's a Turbonetics 7875 with a .96 a/r.
Old 07-02-2013, 08:14 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Superman09
We haven't had any issues with creep from customers. This location is right in line of exhaust flow from both banks. I ran a 38mm gate in this location on my personal car last year with an 8psi spring and the car never saw above 8psi, controlled it fine! We will see about getting you into a different gate to try Ray!

Jon
And thanks Jon!

Quick Reply: RG-45 Wastegate Boost Creep