Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

h/c advanced induction twin turbo setup ls1

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2013, 10:39 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default h/c advanced induction twin turbo setup ls1

2002 trans am ws6. Monster stage 2 clutch, pst steel driveshaft, and long tube headers as of now. So here's the plan. I'm sending my 243 heads to advanced induction to be ported, polished, and matched with a cam. I also intend to port my ls6 intake manifold. I'm going to run twin turbos. I've done quite a bit of homework on this and am set on it.

My questions are: what turbos should I go with? As in turbonetics or Garrett. I know I plan on running t3/t4s with a ceramic ball bearing and oil or water cooled but there are so many models. Can someone at least give me an idea or list of t3/t4 models that are reliable and are quick spooling? My goal is around 450-500 hp running a low boost high reliable setup with a stock bottom end. I'm also hoping to achieve around 34-35mpg on the highway with tuning and controlled boost with free power. Any help would be much appreciated

Also, is it better to run a low rpm Turbo on one side and a high rpm on the other? Or should I stick with two low to mid range turbos for the fuel economy. It's going to be a DD. Not a drag car. Some track time tho of course.
Old 07-07-2013, 12:08 PM
Launching!

Bump for help
Old 07-07-2013, 06:59 PM
Launching!

Bumppp
Old 07-07-2013, 08:45 PM
Launching!

Bumpp
Old 07-07-2013, 09:43 PM
TECH Resident

You will be at 450-500 with that H/C setup. I would do a rearend before even thinking about F.I. What is your fuel system? I would look at some PT5858s if you are dead seat on twins.
Old 07-07-2013, 11:47 PM
Launching!

Yeah. I'd be running the stock fuel system with quite a bit of tuning. The stock system is pretty good and can handle quite a bit. Again, I Am dead set on twins and only want them as free extra power without sacrificing my bottom end's life. Lol. Thanks for the suggestion. I'll look into them
Old 07-07-2013, 11:49 PM
Launching!

Yeah. The PT5858s are a Lil too expensive for what I'll be doing
Old 07-08-2013, 12:31 AM
TECH Resident

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

A couple suggestions for you....

You'll want to upgrade your fuel injectors at a minimum on the fuel system. I would even suggest upgrading your fuel pump to a Walbro 400. Without this, you will pushing the edge of your fuel setup and could possibly go lean.

Second, save your money on the ported LS6 intake. Just turn up the boost 1 psi for free and you'll see the same result.

Third, for turbos, check out Wicked69's setup. He's running On3 Performance Twin 70mm turbos. He's had real good luck with them, and they are very affordable. Put the extra money towards your fuel system. Here's his thread: https://ls1tech.com/forums/forced-in...on3-70mms.html

Lastly, as stated, with a proper heads/cam setup, you'll be approaching 430 rwhp in N/A. Not sure you'll need the twin turbos. If you do go with twins, you can push up towards 600 rwhp safely on stock bottom end, as long as you don't go to aggressive with the timing. Be prepared for that because BOOST IS ADDICTIVE. Also, go up a little in your injectors to account for that because before you know it, you'll be upping the boost. Sucks to have to buy injectors twice. I'm just sayin.

Good luck!!!
Old 07-08-2013, 01:44 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Camaroz18
Yeah. I'd be running the stock fuel system with quite a bit of tuning. The stock system is pretty good and can handle quite a bit. Again, I Am dead set on twins and only want them as free extra power without sacrificing my bottom end's life. Lol. Thanks for the suggestion. I'll look into them
Not trying to be rude, but what is "free extra power"? For your goals, buy a cheap single kit, and skip the heads/intake porting. The factory fuel system actually isn't that great. But it does work and can support around 600 hp with an upgraded pump(s) along with bigger injectors. I really don't see the setup getting 35mpg's though. With the cruise on in my car at around 75 mph even the slightiest hill results in some spoolage and the vacuum hits around -10 to -5, but thats just the nature of the car.
Old 07-08-2013, 07:49 AM
TECH Addict

35mpg is out the window. the stock fuel system sucks as far as pump and injectors. twins arent needed for a 450hp goal. twins are a lot of work for even 600hp imo....ask me how i know. for that hp goal, your better off going with a single like stated before. like stated before, skip the porting, get a decent cam, fuel pump, injectors, ~60#er's and a single 76mm turbo and youll be set. Ur 10 bolt is going to go boom.
Old 07-08-2013, 10:21 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by HRHohio
A couple suggestions for you....

You'll want to upgrade your fuel injectors at a minimum on the fuel system. I would even suggest upgrading your fuel pump to a Walbro 400. Without this, you will pushing the edge of your fuel setup and could possibly go lean.

Second, save your money on the ported LS6 intake. Just turn up the boost 1 psi for free and you'll see the same result.

Third, for turbos, check out Wicked69's setup. He's running On3 Performance Twin 70mm turbos. He's had real good luck with them, and they are very affordable. Put the extra money towards your fuel system. Here's his thread: https://ls1tech.com/forums/forced-in...on3-70mms.html

Lastly, as stated, with a proper heads/cam setup, you'll be approaching 430 rwhp in N/A. Not sure you'll need the twin turbos. If you do go with twins, you can push up towards 600 rwhp safely on stock bottom end, as long as you don't go to aggressive with the timing. Be prepared for that because BOOST IS ADDICTIVE. Also, go up a little in your injectors to account for that because before you know it, you'll be upping the boost. Sucks to have to buy injectors twice. I'm just sayin.

Good luck!!!
Thank you so much. That actually helps a lot. The thing is, I just want to be completely efficient and not lose power. I'm meticulous when it comes to setups. And it's funny,every other thread tells me something different about On3s. "Stay away from them!" "They're great and affordable"
But really, I'll check his thread out. I was kinda planning on buying a used set and just upgrading the internals of the Turbos. I heard it was cheaper that way. I'm a smart guy. I'm not trying to go the cheapest route. I know trying to go too cheap will end up biting you in the ***
Old 07-08-2013, 10:29 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by allout06
35mpg is out the window. the stock fuel system sucks as far as pump and injectors. twins arent needed for a 450hp goal. twins are a lot of work for even 600hp imo....ask me how i know. for that hp goal, your better off going with a single like stated before. like stated before, skip the porting, get a decent cam, fuel pump, injectors, ~60#er's and a single 76mm turbo and youll be set. Ur 10 bolt is going to go boom.
Says the guy building a twin Turbo setup...

But honestly, I know I'll upgrade the rear. I just don't know what gears I'll end up putting in it. Again, my goal is around 450-500hp (or a bit more) at 35 MPG. Now I'll hit that goal somehow..I'd just like you guys to give me the best info on how with what I'm setting up. Should I get two higher rpm Turbos or a lower and I higher? Im just not sure there.
Old 07-08-2013, 11:00 AM
TECH Resident

I don't see how your going to get 35MPG.. your increasing your fuel usage.
Old 07-08-2013, 11:15 AM
TECH Resident

Not sure if serious... Been on here for 5 years, but has learned nothing.

Most people here that are giving you advice have good experience and know what they're talking about. O suggest you listen.

35MPG isn't going to happen. You'll be using more fuel to compensate for more air.
Old 07-08-2013, 11:48 AM
TECH Resident

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thank you so much. That actually helps a lot. The thing is, I just want to be completely efficient and not lose power. I'm meticulous when it comes to setups. And it's funny,every other thread tells me something different about On3s. "Stay away from them!" "They're great and affordable"
But really, I'll check his thread out. I was kinda planning on buying a used set and just upgrading the internals of the Turbos. I heard it was cheaper that way. I'm a smart guy. I'm not trying to go the cheapest route. I know trying to go too cheap will end up biting you in the ***
No problem. Glad it was helpful.

On the On3 turbos. People knock them because they're cheap, but usually it's the people who haven't run them who knock them. Like any brand turbo, there's a percentage that will fail. Keep in mind that these are cheap turbos, BUT they do work. I've had my 76mm rear mount in place for over a year without any issues. The price to replace the whole turbo is what makes it appealing. If I had a $1600 turbo that went bad, after warranty, I'd feel worse than replacing a $500 unit. That's just me... I look at them as "disposable" turbos. The world is becoming this way... lol.

As far as getting 35mpg, I don't see that happening. Here's why... if you want to get good gas mileage, you'll need to go with a crappy cam. If you want to have good HP power curve, you'll need to go with a 224 cam (or bigger) with like 114LSA so there's no valve overlap. That will hinder spool up...you may hit 450rwhp, but your curve will look like a ski slope and your power won't come on until 4500 rpm (when your turbos start to really get spooling).

The only way you MAY be able to claim 35mpg is to stick with the stock cam and heads, run it super lean at part throttle tuned for a highway cruiser. But, that will make it a little difficult to ever get close to 500 rwhp goal safely. Also, you'll need to drop about 800lbs from your car, i.e. gut it. Just my thoughts.... But I would love to be proven wrong.

Also, about buying a used set and upgrading the internals, that wouldn't really be necessary until you're looking at 750+ RWHP.... As they come, you should be able to get close to that if running twins.

Suggested supporting mods instead of spending the money on Heads/Cam: Methanol injection and Intercooler....

Keep us posted.

Also, where are you getting your 35mpg inspiration from? Would love to read about it too. (Post a link)... Thnx!

Last edited by HRHohio; 07-08-2013 at 12:00 PM.
Old 07-08-2013, 03:40 PM
TECH Addict

Says the guy building a twin Turbo setup...

But honestly, I know I'll upgrade the rear. I just don't know what gears I'll end up putting in it. Again, my goal is around 450-500hp (or a bit more) at 35 MPG. Now I'll hit that goal somehow..I'd just like you guys to give me the best info on how with what I'm setting up. Should I get two higher rpm Turbos or a lower and I higher? Im just not sure there.

Im running twins because im shooting for 1000+rwhp. If i only wanted 500 hp, id stick to a single for the sake of simplicity. My car has a built a rear and full suspension.

and you will not hit 35mpg. its not gonna happen, unless u throw some stupid gear in it. <2:73 and ur a 6-speed, Then ur car is going to be a major turd. Even with that, i still highly doubt youll hit 35mpg. My car, bone stock, i got 27mpg on the interstate. With a blower/cam/bolt ons 3.90 gear @ 571rwhp i maintained about 23mpg..ish... and it was a 6-speed.

ur going to "accidently" go over your hp goal with a turbo. 500hp is nothing to hit. and 450 with a turbo is ridiculous. save the money and just stay N/A if thats all you want.

As far as your ?'s go. Just pick 2, identical turbos and run em.. twin 62's would be way more than enough.
Old 07-08-2013, 04:11 PM
Launching!

[QURHohio;17530345]No problem. Glad it was helpful.

On the On3 turbos. People knock them because they're cheap, but usually it's the people who haven't run them who knock them. Like any brand turbo, there's a percentage that will fail. Keep in mind that these are cheap turbos, BUT they do work. I've had my 76mm rear mount in place for over a year without any issues. The price to replace the whole turbo is what makes it appealing. If I had a $1600 turbo that went bad, after warranty, I'd feel worse than replacing a $500 unit. That's just me... I look at them as "disposable" turbos. The world is becoming this way... lol.

As far as getting 35mpg, I don't see that happening. Here's why... if you want to get good gas mileage, you'll need to go with a crappy cam. If you want to have good HP power curve, you'll need to go with a 224 cam (or bigger) with like 114LSA so there's no valve overlap. That will hinder spool up...you may hit 450rwhp, but your curve will look like a ski slope and your power won't come on until 4500 rpm (when your turbos start to really get spooling).

The only way you MAY be able to claim 35mpg is to stick with the stock cam and heads, run it super lean at part throttle tuned for a highway cruiser. But, that will make it a little difficult to ever get close to 500 rwhp goal safely. Also, you'll need to drop about 800lbs from your car, i.e. gut it. Just my thoughts.... But I would love to be proven wrong.

Also, about buying a used set and upgrading the internals, that wouldn't really be necessary until you're looking at 750+ RWHP.... As they come, you should be able to get close to that if running twins.

Suggested supporting mods instead of spending the money on Heads/Cam: Methanol injection and Intercooler....

Keep us posted.

Also, where are you getting your 35mpg inspiration from? Would love to read about it too. (Post a link)... Thnx![/QUOTE]

So whats my best options for running my setup close to my mark. There has to be a way to reach it. Lighter pulleys, electric water pump, gearing, tuning...? And I saw a guy pull 37 MPG highway with the same setup, although he had carbon fiber rims, driveshaft, pulleys, and quite a bit of fuel management. So I figured I could hit 35. No one seems to want to answer my question about the unsequential turbos lol
Old 07-08-2013, 04:20 PM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Get some Garrett Gt35r's with the Tial v-band housings.. instant spool and well over 1k hp possible.
Old 07-08-2013, 04:26 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by djfury05
Get some Garrett Gt35r's with the Tial v-band housings.. instant spool and well over 1k hp possible.
I did find a Godspeed gsp 3076 vband for pretty cheap. How are those? And what exactly does it mean if they have a v band?
Old 07-08-2013, 04:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by TheLS1Lover
Not sure if serious... Been on here for 5 years, but has learned nothing.

Most people here that are giving you advice have good experience and know what they're talking about. O suggest you listen.

35MPG isn't going to happen. You'll be using more fuel to compensate for more air.
Was thinking the same thing..

35MPG twin turbo setup?!? LOL

Get a huron speed truck manifold turbo kit, upgrade your fuel system, and you'll easily see 500 rwhp on a stock top end. You'll also want to look into upgrading the Stage 2 Monster as it's rated to only 550rwhp and you'll easily pass that figure with twins, or even a single.

Quick Reply: h/c advanced induction twin turbo setup ls1