Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Let's talk exhaust and Prochargers.

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2013, 10:08 PM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by speedfreak2685
FWIW I see 180 kpa with a 4.25 blower pulley at 6500 rpm. stock motor/heads with a cam. 1 7/8" TSP longtubes and TSP true duals. Car made 638/538 on a dynojet and traps 102-103 in the 1/8th
Impressive. If I had to guess, I'd say I'm around 675-700rwhp and 575-590rwtq. My heads are pretty decent, far better than factory heads, but how much better, who knows.
Here's a blast I did last weekend doing some tuning. As you can see, I'm still a little rich, so that is getting addressed a little each time I tune. I don't really want to overshoot it too much. I've noticed that the wideband and fuel pressure jump around a little bit, but I've heard that's normal and to take the average as opposed to a single value.

Here's what my run looked like in Hptuners:

You can see where my traction control actually kicked in at the top of 3rd, that's why everything dips for a second. It's not belt slip, it's tire slip.
Attached Thumbnails Let's talk exhaust and Prochargers.-max-boost.jpg  
Old 07-11-2013, 11:24 PM
10 Second Club

Received 72 Likes on 37 Posts

It should make a difference. Probably won't see many gains up top but the mid range will be a lot better. Should drop boost a little so that's a good thing because you'll drop boost, gain power, and have less heat.
Old 07-12-2013, 11:35 AM
TECH Regular

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts

Brien my exhaust actually steps from 3" down to 2.5 after the "heat zone" Off the headers it is ovaled 3" pipe and through my x-pipe it is 3" but after the x I stepped down to 2.5". It made over 600rwhp and 560ft.lbs at 10psi with 1-3/4" pacesetter Lt's. I have been gathering parts to build my own kooks type exhaust and go all 3" over the axle as apposed to under the axle that I have now, I think you will notice a gain by going 1-7/8" and a larger exhaust but I'm not sure it will be worth the money to pick up 30-40 more hp
Old 07-12-2013, 06:51 PM
Teching In

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by The Alchemist
Impressive. If I had to guess, I'd say I'm around 675-700rwhp and 575-590rwtq. My heads are pretty decent, far better than factory heads, but how much better, who knows.
Here's a blast I did last weekend doing some tuning. As you can see, I'm still a little rich, so that is getting addressed a little each time I tune. I don't really want to overshoot it too much. I've noticed that the wideband and fuel pressure jump around a little bit, but I've heard that's normal and to take the average as opposed to a single value.

Here's what my run looked like in Hptuners:

You can see where my traction control actually kicked in at the top of 3rd, that's why everything dips for a second. It's not belt slip, it's tire slip.

Might be a stupid question but how are you monitoring fuel pressure?

And what logic are you using to gauge horsepower off the data logs?
Old 07-12-2013, 08:12 PM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Originally Posted by Staleyp
Might be a stupid question but how are you monitoring fuel pressure?

And what logic are you using to gauge horsepower off the data logs?
Fuel pressure is being monitored through an autometer sensor at the back of my passenger rail, which is at the end of my fuel run, which I think is one of the reasons it bounces. 1, because the regulator is still in the tank, so it's controlling the pressure from as far from the injectors as possible, which isn't ideal. 2, I think the autometer gauge reads quickly and sees the pulses in the #8, and maybe #6 injectors. I've read where other people see similar issues.

I'm not basing hp on logs per say. My car made 455rwhp before h/c, and now with 15psi of boost, it's safe to say I'm north of 600rwhp. How much north I don't know. I've seen other guys post their dyno numbers with less boost and made 650rwhp, so who knows.

Honestly, I love driving my car. Puting it on the dyno would be simply to ensure the afr is correct for me. If it puts down 600rwhp, it's still just as much fun to drive. If it puts down 700rwhp, everyone will scream bullshit and prove it at the track, which doesn't interest me either. So what's the point? Who's to say I haven't dyno'd it and don't want to post numbers...

I will say this, that third gear blast was from 42mph to 104mph in just over 5 seconds, 5.13 seconds to be exact. That's from 2760 rpm to 6735 rpm in third. That's pretty quick in my book, but I bet the 3.40" pulley would be a little quicker

Last edited by The Alchemist; 07-12-2013 at 08:19 PM.
Old 07-12-2013, 08:47 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I read it doesnt interest you but wouldnt you be interested to know what she can do at the strip?

Kind of a no sense question
Old 07-12-2013, 09:25 PM
Teching In

Nice

I have pretty much the same setup as you and now have at I around 15psi. I have yet to dyno as I am finishing up the tune but would love to see the dyno number once. I Mainly just love working on and driving the car.

I will have to look at my next log and check my 3rd gear pull and see how quick it is. I know it's rediculas.

I have a autometer fuel gauge with a sensor hooked up just like yours but wasn't sure if that style sensor could be hooked into the data logger or not. I guess I will have to research that.
Old 07-13-2013, 06:11 AM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Originally Posted by Blackpanther99
I read it doesnt interest you but wouldnt you be interested to know what she can do at the strip?

Kind of a no sense question
Curious, sure. But here in lies the problem. I don't have a trailor, so I'd have to drive it to and from the track, and honestly, I really don't want to break the car. So if I baby it out of the hole, and don't shift it like I hate the car, then I'll never get a true number out of it. So then it becomes a slippery slope. Say first time out, I baby it, get a 2.0 60', short shift the car, granny shift, and run a 11.0 @ 130mph, so the next run I push it a little and get a 1.8 60', shift it higher, and a little faster, and get a 10.5 @ 133, great. But there's still more in it, so instead of launching at 2000rpm, I go up to 2500rpm, and instead of shifting at 6500, I go up to 7000 and this time I pop the rear or damage something else, and now I gotta get a tow home.

I've done the drag racing thing in the past for the first 2-3 years of owning the car. I broke differentials, clutches, caused damages inside the transmission, all trying to get a 11 second slip na. I did get my 11.78 @ 119mph, but I broke too much crap along the way, so the pleasure was quickly diminished.

Just like StaleyP said, I just love driving and working on my car, having plenty of power just adds to the enjoyment.

Honestly, I have had some desire to run it at the strip, but honestly, first 10-second pass and I'd pack up and be happy. I don't have a cage, so unless it was a rental, I doubt they'd let me back on anyways.
Old 07-13-2013, 10:18 AM
TECH Addict

you baby her too much alchemist. drive it to the strip. make a couple hits and drive it home. that should be a goal. id get tired of blowing the tires off all the time. id wanna feel a fulll pass. you dont even have to run the 1/4 you can run an 1/8 run and shut her down and weigh it and find out where you are at and get a better idea of what your capable of. knowledge is power.
Old 07-13-2013, 10:30 AM
10 Second Club

I'm with you on not into the drag strip stuff all the time but I had to know how it ran. I did break it the first time out but luckily it was only a axle. Fixed it and waited for some nice weather then brought it back. I was apprehensive but after a few test passes I gave I hell and it ran a lot better than I expected with a bum clutch.

I plan on taking it back in the fall/winter with a new clutch and see if it will get 9's since its so close. After that's done i'll go back to crushing the streets and taking turns cause that's what I enjoy more.
Old 07-13-2013, 11:00 AM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Originally Posted by I8UR4RD
you baby her too much alchemist. drive it to the strip. make a couple hits and drive it home. that should be a goal. id get tired of blowing the tires off all the time. id wanna feel a fulll pass. you dont even have to run the 1/4 you can run an 1/8 run and shut her down and weigh it and find out where you are at and get a better idea of what your capable of. knowledge is power.
Originally Posted by Detoxx03
I'm with you on not into the drag strip stuff all the time but I had to know how it ran. I did break it the first time out but luckily it was only a axle. Fixed it and waited for some nice weather then brought it back. I was apprehensive but after a few test passes I gave I hell and it ran a lot better than I expected with a bum clutch.

I plan on taking it back in the fall/winter with a new clutch and see if it will get 9's since its so close. After that's done i'll go back to crushing the streets and taking turns cause that's what I enjoy more.
I hear you both, and one day will run it I'm sure, maybe after I finish the fueling and put on the 3.4" pulley.

Part of the issue is just the lack of time. My wife has a crazy busy work schedule, we have 2 kids, 5 and 6 years old, so finding a day to run to the track is tough. I have just as much fun rowing through 2,3 and 4 gear on back roads.
Old 07-13-2013, 11:07 AM
10 Second Club

That's very understandable. I would also have to know (if I were you) what it puts down but if you've done that already that's great. Going to a 3.4 from a 4.0 will net some nice gains. I want to go down a size or two but a 4.0 would be pushing it for me.
Old 07-13-2013, 12:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

3.4" might introduce too much belt slip, 3.55" might be more ideal as a step up.
Old 07-13-2013, 07:37 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by The Alchemist
Curious, sure. But here in lies the problem. I don't have a trailor, so I'd have to drive it to and from the track, and honestly, I really don't want to break the car. So if I baby it out of the hole, and don't shift it like I hate the car, then I'll never get a true number out of it. So then it becomes a slippery slope. Say first time out, I baby it, get a 2.0 60', short shift the car, granny shift, and run a 11.0 @ 130mph, so the next run I push it a little and get a 1.8 60', shift it higher, and a little faster, and get a 10.5 @ 133, great. But there's still more in it, so instead of launching at 2000rpm, I go up to 2500rpm, and instead of shifting at 6500, I go up to 7000 and this time I pop the rear or damage something else, and now I gotta get a tow home.

I've done the drag racing thing in the past for the first 2-3 years of owning the car. I broke differentials, clutches, caused damages inside the transmission, all trying to get a 11 second slip na. I did get my 11.78 @ 119mph, but I broke too much crap along the way, so the pleasure was quickly diminished.

Just like StaleyP said, I just love driving and working on my car, having plenty of power just adds to the enjoyment.

Honestly, I have had some desire to run it at the strip, but honestly, first 10-second pass and I'd pack up and be happy. I don't have a cage, so unless it was a rental, I doubt they'd let me back on anyways.
I undertand what you mean. Makes sense. You should just go out there and do a few passes without abusing the bird too much. How far is the strip from you?

What are your next plans with the bird?

Quick Reply: Let's talk exhaust and Prochargers.