Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Best Air to Oil Separator Catch Can?

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2013, 11:08 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Best Air to Oil Separator Catch Can?

A very respected turbo tuner told me he picks up 20-25hp from a turbo motor by ditching customers catch cans for a proper PVC air to oil separator plumbed back into the intake. This is because they pull good vacuum under throttle.

Does anyone make a decent system proven to pull good vacuum but not let oil get back in?

I found this but not sure if they're good enough for a boosted LS motor

http://www.licmotorsports.com/produc...ch-can_00b-010

Thanks if anyone has good info
Old 07-22-2013, 02:34 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Im sure mightymouse will chime in soon. He makes a great catch can. I bought one for my new engine.
Old 07-22-2013, 11:37 AM
TECH Regular

Y the valve covers together and put a 45* on the downpipe and use that as a vacuum. That's what I'm about to do. I wouldn't dream of putting it into the intake. The last thing I want is to lower my octane by sucking oil into the combustion chamber.
Old 07-22-2013, 11:40 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mightymouse makes what you are looking for.
Old 07-22-2013, 03:47 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by CameronVic
Y the valve covers together and put a 45* on the downpipe and use that as a vacuum. That's what I'm about to do. I wouldn't dream of putting it into the intake. The last thing I want is to lower my octane by sucking oil into the combustion chamber.
That is why I need an air to oil separator, so there is no oil in the intake

re mightymouse - thanks, I'll look him up
Old 07-22-2013, 04:35 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Bazman
That is why I need an air to oil separator, so there is no oil in the intake

re mightymouse - thanks, I'll look him up
Shoot it out the exhaust then! Like this!

http://www.carcraft.com/techarticles...uum_pump_test/
Old 07-22-2013, 04:50 PM
Launching!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Ive did this before and found out that if you have Back-pressure in the exhaust your motor will leak badly everywhere from the exhaust pressurizing the motor backwards and blowing out the seals. they use that system in open header cars.
Old 07-22-2013, 04:54 PM
TECH Senior Member

The intake won't pull vacuum in boost, you will need a separate vacuum pump to do that. The turbo inlet will pull some vacuum I suspect, less so if the piping and filter are free-flowing.
Old 07-22-2013, 07:17 PM
TECH Apprentice

I've contacted Mightymouse, his solution looks really well made so he'll set me up, thanks guys.

As my turbo is out back I'll have to plumb all the way back there and make it a bit bigger to assist flow that distance, otherwise it'd be like pushing through a straw.

Check out this brilliant diagram from Mightymouse

http://mightym0use.wix.com/mm-soluti.../ca5m/imageduh

Old 07-23-2013, 09:36 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

thanks for the props guys, pretty backed up on cans at the moment sorry, been working on an all new design that will be a pretty big deal hang in there.

not going to be able to develop significant crank vacuum in boost without a pump.

during normal driving tho there is a great pump on board!
Old 07-23-2013, 10:04 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by stacy moore
Ive did this before and found out that if you have Back-pressure in the exhaust your motor will leak badly everywhere from the exhaust pressurizing the motor backwards and blowing out the seals. they use that system in open header cars.
Well I have an open downpipe that's only 2-3 feet long and there's no muffler on it. So it would work for me, and probably not for the OP. I see your point!
Old 07-23-2013, 01:38 PM
8 Second Club

Received 676 Likes on 499 Posts

Well I have an open downpipe that's only 2-3 feet long and there's no muffler on it. So it would work for me, and probably not for the OP. I see your point!
I think stacey is only half right.

The exhaust evac kit has a check valve in it preventing exh. pressure from entering you're crank case. I just installed one on my setup. Worked great at cruise and idle. I'm running a pretty restrictive muffler though so while in boost it isn't doing it's job. Its not pushing gas into the crank case, but it isn't evacuating it either. On an open dump car it should work great in boost as well.

Old 07-23-2013, 02:21 PM
Launching!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

[QUOTE=Forcefed86;17565776]I think stacey is only half right.

The exhaust evac kit has a check valve in it preventing exh. pressure from entering you're crank case. I just installed one on my setup. Worked great at cruise and idle. I'm running a pretty restrictive muffler though so while in boost it isn't doing it's job. Its not pushing gas into the crank case, but it isn't evacuating it either. On an open dump car it should work great in boost as well.

The Motor i tried it on was a 671 blower big block chevy with 10# boost & 3" full flowmaster 40s exhaust never had to change the oil as it did it on its own for the week i had it that way. hahaha.but what the hell go ahead and try it a let us know how it works.
Old 07-23-2013, 03:10 PM
TECH Regular

Lmfao, changed its own oil! Hahahha
Old 07-23-2013, 03:23 PM
8 Second Club

[QUOTE=stacy moore;17565866]
Originally Posted by Forcefed86

The Motor i tried it on was a 671 blower big block chevy with 10# boost & 3" full flowmaster 40s exhaust never had to change the oil as it did it on its own for the week i had it that way. hahaha.but what the hell go ahead and try it a let us know how it works.
Your check valve had to be faulty or not there at all? Or perhaps boost was leaking in your crank case from somewhere else? I have tried the setup already. Ran 20lbs with it last weekend to get the time in my sig. below....
Old 07-28-2013, 12:36 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

One of the first Modifications done to any Grand national from the 80's is to remove the tube that is on the inlet of the turbo that sucks oil from the VC..............dont try and go back in time please and gum up the intake and turbo and intercooler,,oil coated intercoolers dont do their job of cooling the charge air

Also i am not an expert but i like MM catch can since the 2 ports are low on the can,but would it help to mount the can just higher then the VC so oil will drain back

Last edited by tta656; 07-28-2013 at 11:01 AM.
Old 07-29-2013, 08:48 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

i would rather keep the caught oil in the can personally, as its pretty scummy looking sometimes. some cars would be difficult to find a place where the lowest part of the can is higher than the valvecovers, but if you had a way into the oil pan that would be doable.
Old 07-30-2013, 02:35 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Forcefed86

Is that piece on your DP a modulator from a TH400? I have the means to do this, that's just the only piece for which I don't know exactly what to use. Thanks
Old 07-30-2013, 03:00 PM
8 Second Club

Is that piece on your DP a modulator from a TH400? I have the means to do this, that's just the only piece for which I don't know exactly what to use. Thanks
No, thats the check valve that comes with the exahsut evac kit to stop boost/oil from entering the exhaust.

Old 07-30-2013, 04:32 PM
TECH Regular

I guess my next question is where did you get that?

Quick Reply: Best Air to Oil Separator Catch Can?