Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Proper cam gains over stock LS1 at 800+ whp?

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2013, 05:55 PM
9 Second Club

Received 181 Likes on 96 Posts

there are a few cams at about the specs you gave him and there are a bunch of them running very good times. a lot of it has to do with intended use as well. with his loose convertor that will be a good cam I want my car to work at a lower rpm to match my smallish tc-78 so im keeping it tight and trying to pull to about 6000 or so so total different uses. thanks.

he still might be a little loose convertor wise.
Old 10-11-2013, 05:56 PM
9 Second Truck Club

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Yea we all have our different ways of doing things. What fun would it be for all of us to have the same **** anyway lol. Good cam or bad cam the boost will usually cover it up unless you are inducer limited
Old 10-11-2013, 06:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by yenkomike
look at it this way a pt-72 is a big turbo for a 231 and I bought right into the big turbo cams make big power on the dyno guys. and gave them a try. but I found out more average power whould outrun big peak power every time.

I also did some searching on this website and .found guys running big mph like 138 mph with ets in the high to mid tens telling me they make big power but cant get the car moving . you guys are the pros im just a customer but I do know if it wont come out of the hole it wont et.

mines not running yet so I guess I have no room to talk.thanks
so smaller turbos with average power outrun bigger turbos with peak power every time on the street or the track? I can see more usable power with a smaller turbo on the street but at the track I think its a different
Old 10-11-2013, 07:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a question I bought an LSA cam off a cts-v and want to install it in my 5.3l what mods will I have to make I know I need a single bolt cover meaning I'm gonna need to change timing gear chain also will a ls3 timing gear fit the same eat as the one from my 5.3
Old 10-11-2013, 08:14 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Vetal
Do you realize that converter stalling 500 rpms lower or higher can make a world of difference? Do you realize stock48 is talking about smaller engine operating in much thinner air, naturally slowing things like spool up quite a lot? I've read a lot of threads and specs Martin gave me were right in the lower range of what most people suggest, which I find quite satisfying for mostly street car
I realize all of these things. Yet everything I said rings true. Jarrett straight up gave you the facts lol.

Originally Posted by stock48
I've tested a bunch of different cams between 212, and 230 @.050 with a 6.0L tc76/68 and the 212/112, and 114 went the quickest and fastest with turbo maxed. Once duration got past 220 truck lost mph and spooled noticably later.
But if you want to sacrifice power, drivability and substantial low end for a cam that satisfies your ears...then that's entirely your decision. However the fantastical claims that are sold to you with cams of that nature are false and patently absurd.

Anyway, as Jarrett mentioned, what fun would it be if we all had the same stuff? Nobody can come in 2nd place if everyone is 1st
Old 10-11-2013, 08:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Cheko09
I have a question I bought an LSA cam off a cts-v and want to install it in my 5.3l what mods will I have to make I know I need a single bolt cover meaning I'm gonna need to change timing gear chain also will a ls3 timing gear fit the same eat as the one from my 5.3
I think Google will have a better answer for you than posting on someone's thread
Old 10-11-2013, 09:05 PM
FormerVendor

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by stock48
Yea we all have our different ways of doing things. What fun would it be for all of us to have the same **** anyway lol. Good cam or bad cam the boost will usually cover it up unless you are inducer limited
I agree for sure man! You'll never get the same recommendation and if you do, you better check to make sure you dialed the right number, lol.

Your 218/218 has a 39 IVC event. It's runs it's tail end off with a 3.622" stroke engine, truck manifold etc.

My 227/235 cam has a 43 IVC event. With a 4" stroke engine and LS6 manifold(both truck and LS1/LS6/LS3/LS2/L76 etc. have runners roughly 10" long as I've measured them) this puts the intake valve closing event pretty much identical@.050" in terms of piston position in the bore.

A longer arm speeds up piston speed. It has the same affect more RPM does on valve timing. More cylinder fill will take place for a given intake stroke and if you want to take advantage of added VE you have to close it later.

I've found through testing that exhaust duration does not "drive" the turbine wheel like I once thought and many have thought for years. Overlap does through thermodynamics in respect to valve events and cam timing. Obviously the VE of the engine and the amount of exhaust volume it outputs will affect this primarily, but cam timing can play a profound event as it will have a large say in VE and how the engine runs.

I can't share a lot of the things I find through testing, but I've found this to be true, and even more so lately as I use it more and more. The cams I've done this way respond with more speed at the track, quicker E.T.'s and faster spool times.
Old 12-07-2013, 07:09 AM
TECH Fanatic

I'm port matching my headers to heads now, so I wonder should I leave a step there to fight reversion, or match the ports? Will there be any overlap / reversion with "turbo" cam?
Old 12-07-2013, 04:21 PM
FormerVendor

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

IIRC your cam has -1 degree of overlap@.050".
Old 12-11-2013, 11:39 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Martin@Tick
IIRC your cam has -1 degree of overlap@.050".
So reversion will be there along with overlap below .050" lift?

Quick Reply: Proper cam gains over stock LS1 at 800+ whp?