Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Fuel system help..

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2013, 09:35 AM
single digit dreamer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by allout06
Hmmmm l. Maybrle im making it out to be more of a pain than it really is. I was kind of worried of the consistency of e85 around here too. I think ill buy a tester this week and see what I come up with. What kinda fuel mileage could I expect? 3.55 gears, th400, 3600 stall, 390ci, twin turbo, 1000rwhp lol
You tune in the summer and just let it go a little rich in the winter. I have not seen the a/f move enough to worry about the exact mix. You might get 15mpg on the highway if you keep your speed down. It won't be good but your overall cost per mile will not go up compared to 93.
Old 08-20-2013, 10:19 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by parish8
You tune in the summer and just let it go a little rich in the winter. I have not seen the a/f move enough to worry about the exact mix. You might get 15mpg on the highway if you keep your speed down. It won't be good but your overall cost per mile will not go up compared to 93.
Im starting to reconsider e85 lol. Can you run normal stainless braided rubber hose?
Old 08-20-2013, 10:30 AM
single digit dreamer

We do not do anything special. I use the black push lock stuff but have used braided in the past.
Old 08-20-2013, 11:16 AM
TECH Addict

This is the FPR I was going to buy. Thoughts?

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/mrf-mp9925-b
Old 08-20-2013, 02:48 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have sumped fabbed tank, -12 to the filter, -10 to the pump, Y -8 to the rails, -8 return, with a aeromotive 13110 regulator and FIC 2000 injectors
Old 08-20-2013, 10:21 PM
TECH Addict

there are a few ways to combat the e85 availability situation.

frost sales a dual pcm. have 2 tunes and easily switch between them.

of course you could have the seperate tunes stored in your laptop and just flash the single pcm.

in my case I drive by the station that has the fuel almost every day. id have roughly 15 gallons in my tank and 15-30 gallons sitting at home at all times.

Jaz makes the big jug. you could carry 4 small ones too
Old 08-20-2013, 10:33 PM
single digit dreamer

you guys with the multiple tunes or pcm's. have you ever tried just dumping in pump gas and making your way home? i have on 3 different set ups and the trims were able to quickly adjust for the fuel. if your on the road and have 1/4 tank of e85 and then get some pump gas(e10) you wont even know what your new mix is.

so, you plan ahead and know where the e85 stations are when hitting the road. if your like me you only leave your area 1-2 times a year so it isn't really a big deal. then worse case you get low on fuel and your e85 stations turn out to not really be there or it is just some co-op with odd hours so you just dump some pump gas in there.

your car adjusts the idle mixture before you are out of the gas station lot and adjusts for cruise by the time you get up to speed. sure there is some transitional trims that will take a little driving before they get sorted out but who cares, it will be on the rich side. yes your trims will be -20 or even worse but you will see 14.7/1 a/f and be able to drive as far as you like.

get home and flush out that fuel(pump it into your wifes car is what i do) and fill it with some e85 and your all ready to race again.
Old 08-20-2013, 10:35 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What about one of those factory flex fuel sensors in a return line? They'll restrict a feed too much, but it wouldn't be an issue if you run it in a return after the reg. Even Y the return to two of the size needed, run the sensor and then Y back to your -8 or -10 return to tank.
Old 08-21-2013, 06:36 AM
10 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You could always run dual fuel, this is what we do on maxxmitchell's car and works great. Since you haven't started a fuel system yet, the cost to switch it it isn't that much more in the long run and then gives you the ability to cruise on 87 pump gas.

We are now doing this setup with a holley dominator efi setup.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/forced-in...tock-pcms.html
Old 08-21-2013, 07:27 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I believe guys run E85 on the rubber/braide hose, but you will get fuel vapor and E85 does not smell very good. You will definitely want to go with a teflon E85 rated hose. I was also planning on running the 127# injectors from FIC and FIC told me thev'ye run them in boosted E85 applications up 1100rwhp, so i think you should go for E85. I haven't seen anyone here yet push the 127 lbers that far yet, since it look slike most guys running big power go with a 160# or 2000cc injector

Last edited by Jefro6996; 08-21-2013 at 07:30 AM. Reason: typo
Old 08-21-2013, 07:42 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by I8UR4RD
there are a few ways to combat the e85 availability situation.

frost sales a dual pcm. have 2 tunes and easily switch between them.

of course you could have the seperate tunes stored in your laptop and just flash the single pcm.

in my case I drive by the station that has the fuel almost every day. id have roughly 15 gallons in my tank and 15-30 gallons sitting at home at all times.

Jaz makes the big jug. you could carry 4 small ones too
I only really drive the car on weekends. So i don't really need to keep fuel in the garage. Around town driving would be ok. I was mainly worried about Highway driving. But since you can just fill up on 93 and keeping going with an e85 tune and be fine (without thrashing on the car). It kind of lays my worries to rest.

Originally Posted by skinnies
You could always run dual fuel, this is what we do on maxxmitchell's car and works great. Since you haven't started a fuel system yet, the cost to switch it it isn't that much more in the long run and then gives you the ability to cruise on 87 pump gas.

We are now doing this setup with a holley dominator efi setup.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/forced-in...tock-pcms.html
that's a very cool setup, but a little more work and tuning that I want to deal with.

Originally Posted by parish8
you guys with the multiple tunes or pcm's. have you ever tried just dumping in pump gas and making your way home? i have on 3 different set ups and the trims were able to quickly adjust for the fuel. if your on the road and have 1/4 tank of e85 and then get some pump gas(e10) you wont even know what your new mix is.

so, you plan ahead and know where the e85 stations are when hitting the road. if your like me you only leave your area 1-2 times a year so it isn't really a big deal. then worse case you get low on fuel and your e85 stations turn out to not really be there or it is just some co-op with odd hours so you just dump some pump gas in there.

your car adjusts the idle mixture before you are out of the gas station lot and adjusts for cruise by the time you get up to speed. sure there is some transitional trims that will take a little driving before they get sorted out but who cares, it will be on the rich side. yes your trims will be -20 or even worse but you will see 14.7/1 a/f and be able to drive as far as you like.

get home and flush out that fuel(pump it into your wifes car is what i do) and fill it with some e85 and your all ready to race again.
This makes me feel a lot better about e85. I didn't know you could run 93 and be ok for just cruising. And my "trips" are usually just a 3.5 hr drive to Chicago or an hour drive to Indianapolis.

Originally Posted by Jefro6996
I believe guys run E85 on the rubber/braide hose, but you will get fuel vapor and E85 does not smell very good. You will definitely want to go with a teflon E85 rated hose. I was also planning on running the 127# injectors from FIC and FIC told me thev'ye run them in boosted E85 applications up 1100rwhp, so i think you should go for E85. I haven't seen anyone here yet push the 127 lbers that far yet, since it look slike most guys running big power go with a 160# or 2000cc injector
Ive found the "teflon" hose for$4/foot at siliconeintakes.com. I just don't like the compression AN fittings you have to use. Ill do a little more research on the smell issue. I think ill run these injectors and see how they do. If they aren't enough, I'll sell them. I got a hell of a deal on them new and I could make money on them selling them used.
Old 08-21-2013, 10:13 AM
TECH Enthusiast

It's hard to believe that the PTFE line at silicone intakes is only $4/foot. Can anyone comment on the quality of their line? Only certain PTFE hoses require the use of the one time use crimp on fittings. There are PTFE hose options that allow you to use a re-usable AN fitting, but they are slightly different than a standard rubber/stainless braided AN hose fitting.

Edit- I found a link comparing the Silicone intakes hose to Earls PTFE hose. Wasnt an article or anything. Just someone who had a few pieces of each hose and ran a few basic comparisons.

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/show....php?t=2236246

Last edited by Jefro6996; 08-21-2013 at 11:08 AM.
Old 08-21-2013, 03:58 PM
TECH Addict

Pretty good comparison^

As it stands, my setup will be the Squash Performance Dual 450LPH Pumps w/ -8 supply and a -6 quick connect return. My only issue with the setup is i have to splice in the relay kits and hobbs switch. and i have no idea where to splice or how to do it. the lonnies kit is about the same price as the squash, but he uses twin 340's instead of 450's and i dont think that will be enough for E85 and 1000rwhp. But i do like the fact that lonnies is all plug and play.. Have any diagrams of how to wire these pumps?
Old 08-21-2013, 04:06 PM
11 Second Club

IIRC, you just need the trigger wire whatever it is for your year for your stock fuel pump going to the relay, ground, and power for the primary pump, then the wire to the pump. For the second pump, use the hobbs switch as the trigger, ground, and power, then the wire to the pump. I may have a diagram on my home computer that I can post tomorrow when I get home.
Old 08-21-2013, 06:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

You might not even need to spend that much. When I talked to Andy at Squash, he assured me that the -8 PTFE feed line ran to a Y with two -6 lines ran to each rail and back to the regulator will flow more than the dual fat bottom walbros can flow ~1300-1400 rwhp E85. This was also with running a -6 to a quick dis connect to the stock feed line, which will be used as the return line. if you are going with the Squash in tank setup you might want to give him a call and let him know what your goals are and he can point you in the right direction. This might save you the extra $$ on the return hose. Let me know what you end up doing, since I'll be ordering my fuel system in the next month.
Old 08-22-2013, 12:08 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 98Camarod
IIRC, you just need the trigger wire whatever it is for your year for your stock fuel pump going to the relay, ground, and power for the primary pump, then the wire to the pump. For the second pump, use the hobbs switch as the trigger, ground, and power, then the wire to the pump. I may have a diagram on my home computer that I can post tomorrow when I get home.
A diagram would be awesome.

Originally Posted by Jefro6996
You might not even need to spend that much. When I talked to Andy at Squash, he assured me that the -8 PTFE feed line ran to a Y with two -6 lines ran to each rail and back to the regulator will flow more than the dual fat bottom walbros can flow ~1300-1400 rwhp E85. This was also with running a -6 to a quick dis connect to the stock feed line, which will be used as the return line. if you are going with the Squash in tank setup you might want to give him a call and let him know what your goals are and he can point you in the right direction. This might save you the extra $$ on the return hose. Let me know what you end up doing, since I'll be ordering my fuel system in the next month.
I do want room to grow and id rather swap in a new pump rather than make a whole new feed/return lines. Stangkilr on here has the same setupnin his 5th gen and he said he was out of pump at 23psi on E85, around 1150rwhp. Also, ive already torn out my stock fuel lines and trashed them lol.
Old 08-22-2013, 12:29 PM
11 Second Club

I can't find a diagram on my computer, but this should help

30 amp 4 pin relay:
87: Fused 12v source
85: ground
30: signal to the fuel pump
86: trigger wire, either the hobbs switch or stock wiring for the fuel pump
Old 08-22-2013, 01:56 PM
8 Second Club

Received 730 Likes on 535 Posts

Not sure whats with all the fuel system over engineering. With enough base pressure, guys making well over 850whp on 80lb injectors on E85. Some with OEM fuel lines.

IMO 120lb injectors and 1 straight 1/2" line is MORE than enough for your goals. You can buy 2 450 walbros for around 325 shipped. I used thin wall 1/2" SS hardlines from a brewing company flared them and used AN fittings. A little over 700whp my 120s are around 50% duty cycle on e85 and I'm only running 45psi base pressure! Also running OEM LS1 fuel rail. Also I've run standard pushlock hose on several diffferent cars for years and I've never had ethanol smells or seepage? Teflon isn't necessary IMO.

You said you don't drive the car much? Why not just run both pumps all the time?

Or google DUAL FUEL PUMP WIRING and you'll get a million hits. Or even search on this site...

https://ls1tech.com/forums/fueling-i...g-install.html

Last edited by Forcefed86; 08-22-2013 at 02:06 PM.
Old 08-22-2013, 04:23 PM
TECH Addict

I do like the idea of running them both all the time. Less wiring and saves me $60 so i dont have to buy their hobbs switch kit. Where are you finding those pumps for $325? i cant find em under $180/piece. Imma go ahead and do SS lines, They look a lot better and will match my theme under the hood.
Old 08-23-2013, 04:00 PM
TECH Addict

Bump!

Quick Reply: Fuel system help..