Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

WS6 Rear Mounted Radiator (UPDATE!!! COMPLETE AND TESTING) MANY PICS INSIDE!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2013, 09:09 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by texas94z
I think the length of the feed and return lines will cause a significant load on the water pump and the serpentine system. A remote electric water pump would be a great investment for your design.
I agree but we will see what unfolds.

I know there is a fine line but the slower the water moves to a certain point will allow it to cool better through the radiator. Im not the brightest on that by no means but that's my thinking.

Last edited by mrstepheneades; 09-09-2013 at 09:28 AM.
Old 09-09-2013, 09:59 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Slowhawk
I like the thought process.

I would of just pushed the intercooler forward more, put in a 2 core radiator with an aftermarket puller fan and 1 pusher. We do this a lot and never have overheating issue's, even on 100 degree days they run 195 and under.
What radiator part# and any pics? Might be what I do next. You can pm or post here which ever.
Old 09-09-2013, 10:03 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Amazing how so many people are know it alls about something that isn't done much, or at all. The guys doing it on a budget, so he's gonna figure out what the minimum it's gonna take to get the job done.

If it needs an electric pump, I'm sure hell get it. If it needs bigger a fans, I'm sure he will upgrade. But until its tested, and it shows the need, shut up.

Just sayin.

Good job man.
Old 09-09-2013, 10:23 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Busa_rob
Amazing how so many people are know it alls about something that isn't done much, or at all. The guys doing it on a budget, so he's gonna figure out what the minimum it's gonna take to get the job done.

If it needs an electric pump, I'm sure hell get it. If it needs bigger a fans, I'm sure he will upgrade. But until its tested, and it shows the need, shut up.

Just sayin.

Good job man.
Thanks for the support. I welcome any opinions because this is a learning experience for me and anybody else that wants to follow in my tracks. Just trying to do something different.
Old 09-09-2013, 11:58 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 01Z28Camaro
There is a local guy that has done this on his turbo Camaro.
He have good results?
Old 09-09-2013, 10:02 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Busa_rob

Just sayin.

Good job man.
I agree with you. Nobody else has the nuts to try it except the op, but everybody is a naysayer. I hope it works, I hope he has good results. I hope he proves the negative nancys wrong. I think it would be a great fix to a car that runs warm.

I am ready to see some mounting pics of the radiator.
Old 09-09-2013, 10:16 PM
10 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

People act like this is some sort of new concept... its been done in Offroading and many other motorsports in the past. Just not as common in a 4th gen fbody. Its been done to this car

Old 09-09-2013, 10:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

thinking about doing this to my s10 if this works for you. i cant stand the rad up front. i have no frontal room and no intercooler room. i could just put it in the bed. wouldnt be hard
Old 09-10-2013, 04:19 AM
TECH Fanatic

The car video posted above has no real pics of the setup. I have posted on the thread for that car and can't get any real info on it. I know its common in the 4x4 world. But show me a thread on here that gives details and results and pics of install.. I haven't found it if its on here lol. Just trying to share my experience with all.
Old 09-10-2013, 08:35 AM
TECH Fanatic

Progress from yesterday and this morning...

Air duct from the front side

Air exit for the fans

Got the supports in on the bottom. Its just sitting there in these pics but its at the correct angle that it will be mounted permanently at with fans attached to the back.

Old 09-10-2013, 10:10 AM
TECH Addict

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

I admire your courage to do something different. Like you, I've seen this in off road but never in a street or street / strip vehicle.
Cool stuff.
Old 09-10-2013, 10:11 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by gofastwclass
I admire your courage to do something different. Like you, I've seen this in off road but never in a street or street / strip vehicle.
Cool stuff.
Thanks man!!
Old 09-10-2013, 10:38 AM
TECH Addict

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

Another thing to think about in terms of cooling besides the added capacity is the added surface area. You now have a lot of metal filled with coolant runnning under there with no exhaust to heat it up, thats got to do something for you. Please finish it today.
Old 09-10-2013, 10:46 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by AnotherWs6
Another thing to think about in terms of cooling besides the added capacity is the added surface area. You now have a lot of metal filled with coolant runnning under there with no exhaust to heat it up, thats got to do something for you. Please finish it today.
I would have to pull a long evening to get it finished up today lol. I plan to have fans in and wired, sheet metal top support and interior cover made, and lines finished up welding and pressure tested and hooked up today. (Not hooked on ends to radiator but back to the radiator)... I gotta then find some hoses that have the correct bends in them to connect to radiator.
Old 09-10-2013, 11:00 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Only thing I can add is you are going to need a way to bleed it from the front as well then use an airlift to bleed it from the radiator. I think that will be the hardest part getting the air out of the system but once you do it should work just fine.
Old 09-10-2013, 11:25 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 68 SS
Only thing I can add is you are going to need a way to bleed it from the front as well then use an airlift to bleed it from the radiator. I think that will be the hardest part getting the air out of the system but once you do it should work just fine.
I was just thinking the samw thing, but this is a cool project I like it
Old 09-10-2013, 12:05 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Have you considered or are you going to make a "scoop" for the rear air inlet underneath the car?

In for results and more pictures.
Old 09-10-2013, 12:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by MasterTomos
Have you considered or are you going to make a "scoop" for the rear air inlet underneath the car?

In for results and more pictures.
Yes I will do one if needed. I'm gonna test without it and see before I do that though.
Old 09-10-2013, 03:42 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Thought you were tipping the rad forward? Is there no room?
Old 09-10-2013, 03:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by chuntington101
Thought you were tipping the rad forward? Is there no room?
My mind changed when I put it in there lol. Didn't have to cut out nearly as much as I thought to be a cleaner look. An the fan heat can escape into the bumper area now. (with a little more trimming).

Quick Reply: WS6 Rear Mounted Radiator (UPDATE!!! COMPLETE AND TESTING) MANY PICS INSIDE!!!