Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

WS6 Rear Mounted Radiator (UPDATE!!! COMPLETE AND TESTING) MANY PICS INSIDE!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2013, 01:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by smokeshow
Very interested to see how it works out...will be doing the same on my car. You can use a venturi vacuum coolant filler so that you won't have any air in the system. Also make note of how much coolant it takes to fill the system...I'm curious.
Don't worry. I document everything in my threads.
Old 09-12-2013, 04:09 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice work man, you look comfortable with a tig machine.
Old 09-12-2013, 04:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Been tigging since 4 months ago lol. Pretty comfortable now but no expert. Always learning. I enjoy it.
Old 09-13-2013, 07:55 AM
TECH Fanatic

Almost done. This is the sheet metal piece that gonna be bent today for fit over the top.

Showing the bottom holders which have padding in them

Trimming the fan shroud a bit

Radiator overflow secured to the ledge

Carpet back in. Much cleaner look now.

Doing my math the coolant lines alone should hold around 2.25 gallons. Plus the radiator and engine capacity.

Last edited by mrstepheneades; 09-13-2013 at 09:55 AM.
Old 09-13-2013, 02:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think between the added coolant capacity you'll have no problem keeping temps on the cooler side. Great job man. Let us know how effective it is.
Old 09-13-2013, 03:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Danny
I think between the added coolant capacity you'll have no problem keeping temps on the cooler side. Great job man. Let us know how effective it is.
Thanks. I plan on putting the coolant in and firing it up tonight.
Old 09-13-2013, 03:25 PM
Destroyer of Exotics

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good work! I'd love to do the same on mine!
Old 09-13-2013, 04:11 PM
TECH Addict

I like it. Just gotta find another routing for the pipes since I have exhaust under the car.
Old 09-13-2013, 04:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

How much weight do you think it added to the car 30-40lbs?
Old 09-14-2013, 05:51 AM
TECH Fanatic

Well it is finished finally. And the struggle begins on getting the air out of the system. Last night I put little over 4 gallons of coolant in it and took top water pump hose off and backfilled to engine(with a separate hose I had laying around) and backfilled to hoses going under car as well as filling from the rear. Then I took a vacuum bleeder(pump type) after hooking all lines back up and hooked it to the steam port and started pumping while holding my finger over the part going back into the coolant line if you can picture all of that. Got most of the air out that way but still had a air pocket in it. So I let it cool back down overnight and when I checked it this morning it took another 1/2 gallon in the radiator so maybe we are getting close lol. If it still acts like it has air in it today Im going to borrow a snapon coolant bleeder from my cousin and that should do it.

So all total its at around 4.5/4.8 gallons in the system now.

The fans!! Oh boy! They worked fine for the first few times and now it pops the 40amp fan fuse when they try to fire up. Not sure if relays are fried or what. I know they draw a lot more on startup but figured I would have issues running them that far away. I currently have the two fan wires tied together in the front and running only a power and ground wire to the rear(heavier gage) and dividing it again in the rear to plug to the separate fans. Frustrated last night I just wired them to a two way switch in the interior so I can drive the car and ill get that situation resolve later.

Few bugs but im getting there.

Here are some pics of yesterday and the finished look.

Tabs welded on for the shroud

Shroud painted

COMPLETE!!!!!!!!!!

And the fans are not that noisy inside the car. Because I have bumper exit dp you cant really hear much lol. I need to insulate a few things because I did few to heat radiating from rear while I was driving lol.
Old 09-14-2013, 05:52 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 1sickz28
Good work! I'd love to do the same on mine!
Thanks man. Yeah it really opens up the front lol.
Old 09-14-2013, 05:52 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 9sectruck
How much weight do you think it added to the car 30-40lbs?
Probably close lol. Stainless tubing and radiator hoses and bigger radiator probably added 20 extra then the 3 extra gallons nearly that system holds now with bigger radiator @ 8lb a gallon if you figured that it would be 24 more pound of coolant. So id say between 40 and 50 extra. Not that big of a deal for a street car that only weighed 3400 with all the original setup and a half tank and gas and three gallons of methanol onboard.

Last edited by mrstepheneades; 09-14-2013 at 07:10 AM.
Old 09-14-2013, 07:59 AM
11 Second Club

i drilled a 1/16 inch hole in my thermostat to prevent air pockets and help with filling the system back up,You wont even notice any difference in the time it takes to warm up.
Old 09-14-2013, 09:33 AM
TECH Addict

Are you still planning on doing something to close the radiator off from the interior? I would not want the fan noise inside the car. I like the work and in for results.
Old 09-14-2013, 09:40 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by KRAZY K 2000 TA
i drilled a 1/16 inch hole in my thermostat to prevent air pockets and help with filling the system back up,You wont even notice any difference in the time it takes to warm up.
My thermostat is out lol. Still gonna get air pockets with high and low spots in the tubing. Cant get around that.
Old 09-14-2013, 09:41 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Cam72aro
Are you still planning on doing something to close the radiator off from the interior? I would not want the fan noise inside the car. I like the work and in for results.
When I shut my hatch it does close it off but just need to insulate more. Fans are not really that noticeable.
Old 09-14-2013, 09:43 AM
TECH Enthusiast

So the radiator is inside the car only relying on being cooled from the fans?
Old 09-14-2013, 10:04 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Busa_rob
So the radiator is inside the car only relying on being cooled from the fans?
I have a place cut out in the bottom of the radiator area to draw air in, and the rear is cut out for the fan air to exit. When you put your hand in front of radiator even when its warm it is drawing a ton of cool air through.

If radiator is in regular place on a car and your sitting still in traffic and fans are on. Your only relying on the fans then are you not? If its an efficient system should it not keep it cool sitting in traffic still and whatever temperature outside for however long?

That's my logic lol.

May not be worth a crap lol lol.
Old 09-14-2013, 10:16 AM
Staging Lane

I love the idea of what u have done. I don't think w the extra added fluid, and additional tubing you wont have any problems with cooling. I think you have in the plans of making both a complete shroud for the radiator (to completely cover it and direct the air through it and not around) and also protect the passenger compartment. I would also open up the intake air window (under the car) and make a shroud to direct the air into the radiator and not around. Like you said originally, I have a picture in my head, but find it hard to explain. LOL Regardless, super nice work and awesome job on those welds!!
Old 09-14-2013, 10:40 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by RONSBLACK1998TA
I love the idea of what u have done. I don't think w the extra added fluid, and additional tubing you wont have any problems with cooling. I think you have in the plans of making both a complete shroud for the radiator (to completely cover it and direct the air through it and not around) and also protect the passenger compartment. I would also open up the intake air window (under the car) and make a shroud to direct the air into the radiator and not around. Like you said originally, I have a picture in my head, but find it hard to explain. LOL Regardless, super nice work and awesome job on those welds!!
Thanks man. Yes I plan to shroud a little better down the sides I just wanted to get it together to do a little testing without first. Projects are never done we all know this lol.

Quick Reply: WS6 Rear Mounted Radiator (UPDATE!!! COMPLETE AND TESTING) MANY PICS INSIDE!!!