Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Voltage Problems hopefully going away

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2013, 05:42 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Voltage Problems hopefully going away

Thinking of pulling the trigger on a new alternator that puts out 170 amps. Currently my setup (front mount f1a) tends to dip in voltage in hot weather or while driving and or throwing on the lights or radio. The factory alternator is rated at 140 amps but its been my experience that it's either not enough or not putting out this amperage when hot. With my new setup which includes alky. I cant afford voltage to dip so hopefully this alternator will solve all my problems. Ive been reading about these alternators on another forum and thought I would spread the word. I know theres alot of folks here that have the same issues I do regarding this. Im not a vendor so I dont want to post any info and get in trouble. PM me if you guys want the link to this.

Last edited by Tirefire; 09-07-2013 at 05:53 PM.
Old 09-08-2013, 08:17 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If its from Eagle Auto Electric ... AVOID IT LIKE THE PLAGUE!
Old 09-08-2013, 09:34 AM
8 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Alex in Houston
If its from Eagle Auto Electric ... AVOID IT LIKE THE PLAGUE!
Lol that's what I just got.
Old 09-08-2013, 09:48 AM
TECH Resident

Let me check not sure..
Old 09-08-2013, 10:13 AM
TECH Resident

I dont think they are. I looked at their product and it looks solid!! It even has a remote voltage control which is pretty badass!!! If your like me alternators come and go regularly I have even asked queations about the truck alternator. So im willing to give this alternator a shot. Let me know guys, PM if you want more info. If not you can check it out yourselves. First word to the forum starts with "C" forum. LOL
Old 09-09-2013, 08:15 AM
Staging Lane

Unhappy

Originally Posted by Camaro9969
Lol that's what I just got.
Sorry to hear that.
Old 09-09-2013, 09:34 AM
8 Second Club

Sorry to hear that.
works awesome so far. what issues did you have?
Old 09-09-2013, 10:31 AM
Staging Lane

Default Long Story ...

works awesome so far. what issues did you have?
Where do i start ...
I figured I'd try one out since my factory unit had gotten damaged by way of a faulty Power Steering pump seal (leaked into alternator).
I made a few mistakes in dealing with that despicable waste of flesh
  1. Giving seller benefit of doubt
  2. NOT installing alternator soon as I received it

I didn't have time/energy to install the alternator for about 3 weeks after I received it. Anyhow, once installed it never charged the battery correctly (would get random alternator malfunction on my DIC .. 06 GTO) . I double checked all connections (not like it's much to installing an alternator).
I "tried" to contact Eagle via Eghey and his account was not taking messages and since it was past 30 days, Eghey was of no help. I located his store's phone number (which no one ever answered) and left message. Sent E-Mails to what was listed for the store, no response. About 2 months into this ordeal, I randomly call and someone actually picks up the phone. I explain the situation, give him details of transaction and he states to simply return it and he'll replace it and hastily hangs up the phone.
I ship it back in the exact same box and packaging inside of a larger well packed box via USPS.
1 week goes by, no message and no replacement (also no answer when I call and leave message) ... Wash, rinse and repeat for 3 more weeks ... Finally get the same guy on the phone again. He says he has no idea of what alternator I'm speaking of and that he hasn't received anything. I tell him my name and ordering info was on EVERY single pane on the box. Also the tracking number shows when it was delivered and who signed for it.
He says send him the info via E-mail ... less than 5 minutes later I receive:

Eaglekh@aol.com
Apr 12
to me
HI Alexander,

Thank you for the information
we did find the package.
This package was damaged when it came to us
and didn't know who it was shipped.

please call UPS or the carrier that you shipped and have them pickup the
item and you can claim it
since this will void the warranty
we didn't ship damaged part to you

Thank you,
Forked me out of $245 and there is not much of anything I could/can do about it.
My first time in over 15 years of web purchases to get screwed. I guess it was only a matter of time before I lost some money via the web and the fact that I KNEW better than to buy anything other than a factory alternator.
I hope your luck is better than mine was but just know if it doesn't work (the alternator) you're SOL. I'll NEVER buy anything other than a factory replacement alternator.
Old 09-12-2013, 07:38 AM
8 Second Club

Where do i start ...
I figured I'd try one out since my factory unit had gotten damaged by way of a faulty Power Steering pump seal (leaked into alternator).
I made a few mistakes in dealing with that despicable waste of flesh
  1. Giving seller benefit of doubt
  2. NOT installing alternator soon as I received it

I didn't have time/energy to install the alternator for about 3 weeks after I received it. Anyhow, once installed it never charged the battery correctly (would get random alternator malfunction on my DIC .. 06 GTO) . I double checked all connections (not like it's much to installing an alternator).
I "tried" to contact Eagle via Eghey and his account was not taking messages and since it was past 30 days, Eghey was of no help. I located his store's phone number (which no one ever answered) and left message. Sent E-Mails to what was listed for the store, no response. About 2 months into this ordeal, I randomly call and someone actually picks up the phone. I explain the situation, give him details of transaction and he states to simply return it and he'll replace it and hastily hangs up the phone.
I ship it back in the exact same box and packaging inside of a larger well packed box via USPS.
1 week goes by, no message and no replacement (also no answer when I call and leave message) ... Wash, rinse and repeat for 3 more weeks ... Finally get the same guy on the phone again. He says he has no idea of what alternator I'm speaking of and that he hasn't received anything. I tell him my name and ordering info was on EVERY single pane on the box. Also the tracking number shows when it was delivered and who signed for it.
He says send him the info via E-mail ... less than 5 minutes later I receive:

Forked me out of $245 and there is not much of anything I could/can do about it.
My first time in over 15 years of web purchases to get screwed. I guess it was only a matter of time before I lost some money via the web and the fact that I KNEW better than to buy anything other than a factory alternator.
I hope your luck is better than mine was but just know if it doesn't work (the alternator) you're SOL. I'll NEVER buy anything other than a factory replacement alternator.
Wow thats awful sorry to hear that. He was great with me so far........But thats because i havent had any issues. But one thing i can say is that i bought a 160amp and it does not charge any better than my stock one.
People like that really are the worst and it makes me not want to buy anything off ebay. Ive gotten screwed a couple times the last was off here for a dash i paid over 300 after shipping and the thing was cracked so bad you could tell from him pulling it out of the car but of course blamed it on shipping.
Anyways hope you have better luck in the future man!
Old 09-12-2013, 09:37 AM
TECH Enthusiast

From electronics design standpoint having higher output alternator will usually lower the output at idle. Its not a problem in highway speeds but if you idle a lot it will wear down your battery faster than the factory alternator.

If the person who designed the modified alternator has a real strong electronics background, it may be a good mod. most of the time though, you get hack with doubled up diodes and a lot more windings which makes a great on-board welder at 3000 rpms but really sucks at idle. lol

Of course, YMMV applies here...
Old 09-16-2013, 07:48 PM
TECH Resident

Well let me know guys if we get 11 or more buyers we can get a discount from a guy in corvette forum. The alternators sound legit and if you have had any type of voltage problems you should take a look at this (http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-f...ht=alternators).
Old 09-16-2013, 08:12 PM
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by Tirefire
Well let me know guys if we get 11 or more buyers we can get a discount from a guy in corvette forum. The alternators sound legit and if you have had any type of voltage problems you should take a look at this (http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-f...ht=alternators).
That looks like a quality unit i would be interested in one after the bad stories i just heard about these eagle ones.
Old 09-17-2013, 04:50 AM
TECH Resident

That looks like a quality unit i would be interested in one after the bad stories i just heard about these eagle ones.
Lets do this then I'll be number #1 and you can be number #2. We need 9 more, anyone?

Quick Reply: Voltage Problems hopefully going away