Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

FI LQ4/LQ9 for Dummies.

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2013, 12:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question FI LQ4/LQ9 for Dummies.

So, I've done some research and would like to get some closure on some questions I have.

To begin with I have a 77k mile LS1 I was looking to run a single turbo on. I just saved enough recently for a turbo cam but after thinking it through I am deciding to just sell the LS1 and place a lower mileage LQ4 or maybe LQ9 in its place.

I do know that the LQ4 has lower compression over the LQ9 so running a turbo on it is more ideal. However, as much as I would love to throw on a turbo right after this swap, realistically it will probably be about two years before I do so considering I am also saving for a house.

With that being said, Whichever block I build, I would like to be able to run it N/A for a few years before a turbo, but do not want to be buying parts twice unless I really have to.

So would a LQ9 be out of the picture? Or would a LQ4 still be the way to go since I am going to turbo it?

And what parts can be used N/A and also with a turbo?

I know I will be putting on some L92 heads while its N/A and switching them out for 317 heads when I turbo it.

For the cam choice, Is there such a cam that I can run N/A and make decent power but also throw 10-13psi at wo having problems? GM Hotcam? Something a lil more aggressive? I would like to hit 500whp+ N/A.

Now for the top end, would a LS3 intake suffice? I don’t mind spending a lil extra for something I won’t have to change down the road if there is something else. Same with the tb?

And I know I need to get some gaskets, rods, etc. What else am I forgetting to get this build running and running right N/A and when I turbo it?

Thanks guys, info is greatly appreciated
Old 09-12-2013, 12:52 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

You can build the motor for turbo and run it NA for as long as you have to before you can afford the turbo stuff. You'll want to run a lower compression that what would be desired for a NA car, which will hurt power, but if a turbo build is the ultimate goal, then don't worry about the loss of NA power. When you get your cam, make sure it's turbo friendly. You'll also need to know what size turbo you're going to go with too in order to select the right cam. I'd have Martin at Tick custom grind me a turbo cam based on your build.
Old 09-12-2013, 01:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Rise of the Phoenix
You can build the motor for turbo and run it NA for as long as you have to before you can afford the turbo stuff. You'll want to run a lower compression that what would be desired for a NA car, which will hurt power, but if a turbo build is the ultimate goal, then don't worry about the loss of NA power. When you get your cam, make sure it's turbo friendly. You'll also need to know what size turbo you're going to go with too in order to select the right cam. I'd have Martin at Tick custom grind me a turbo cam based on your build.
Ok so it sounds like I should go with the LQ4.

What other engine components / necessities should I go with, (that are needed) for me to run N/A yet still usable for when I do the turbo? Lay it on me lol

I was referred to Tick by a few others as well, I will be speaking with him when I decide on the turbo size for sure.
Old 09-12-2013, 01:11 PM
TECH Senior Member

Yeah, if you can find a LQ4, that will be the ticket. You shouldn't have any problems finding one for cheap.

Well, you can use the stock heads on the LQ4, which shouldn't be milled any, so that will give you the compression you'll need to be turbo friendly. Obviously, you'll need a new valve spring kit, which you can get from Brian Tooley Racing (he's great to deal with too). Again, you'll want a turbo friendly cam, which you can get from Martin at Tick. Before you do that though, I would decide on what turbo you're going to be going with. I'd do a ton of research on here first to see what other guy's combos have done with a stock LQ4. The S480 turbo is pretty popular and would work great on a LQ4. It's not that expensive either. You could use the stock LQ4 intake if you want to, or you could go with a LS6 intake. If you want to spend some money, you could opt for an aftermarket intake, but that would be up to you and your wallet. I would also put in ARP rod bolts for safety. Depending on how many miles are on the LQ4 you get, you may want to put all new bearings in. For sure check them and replace them if needed. LS9 head gaskets and all the front end gaskets you'll need too. Upgraded head studs would be wise as well.
Old 09-12-2013, 01:20 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Why not build an LQ4 engine on an engine stand, and once you have all the parts and turbo stuff you need *then* do the swap and just leave the LS1 in there for now?
Old 09-12-2013, 01:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Cool

Originally Posted by Raoul-Duke
So, I've done some research and would like to get some closure on some questions I have.

To begin with I have a 77k mile LS1 I was looking to run a single turbo on. I just saved enough recently for a turbo cam but after thinking it through I am deciding to just sell the LS1 and place a lower mileage LQ4 or maybe LQ9 in its place.

I do know that the LQ4 has lower compression over the LQ9 so running a turbo on it is more ideal. However, as much as I would love to throw on a turbo right after this swap, realistically it will probably be about two years before I do so considering I am also saving for a house.

With that being said, Whichever block I build, I would like to be able to run it N/A for a few years before a turbo, but do not want to be buying parts twice unless I really have to.

So would a LQ9 be out of the picture? Or would a LQ4 still be the way to go since I am going to turbo it?

And what parts can be used N/A and also with a turbo?

I know I will be putting on some L92 heads while its N/A and switching them out for 317 heads when I turbo it.

For the cam choice, Is there such a cam that I can run N/A and make decent power but also throw 10-13psi at wo having problems? GM Hotcam? Something a lil more aggressive? I would like to hit 500whp+ N/A.

Now for the top end, would a LS3 intake suffice? I don’t mind spending a lil extra for something I won’t have to change down the road if there is something else. Same with the tb?

And I know I need to get some gaskets, rods, etc. What else am I forgetting to get this build running and running right N/A and when I turbo it?

Thanks guys, info is greatly appreciated
TB & Intake both matter much more to the N/A world than FI. What is you HP goals down the road for the turbo?

If it were me, I'd build the engine for the turbo setup and just "deal" with whatever power it makes N/A for now, otherwise you will be buying things twice. I think you will need CNC'd ls3's or aftermarket heads to get the 500whp not to mention the cam needed for that will not be optimal for the turbo. -- Maybe build it for turbo and just run a 100-150hp shot on it in the time being??? just a thought.

Either way good luck.
Old 09-12-2013, 01:32 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Yeah, if you can find a LQ4, that will be the ticket. You shouldn't have any problems finding one for cheap.

Well, you can use the stock heads on the LQ4, which shouldn't be milled any, so that will give you the compression you'll need to be turbo friendly. Obviously, you'll need a new valve spring kit, which you can get from Brian Tooley Racing (he's great to deal with too). Again, you'll want a turbo friendly cam, which you can get from Martin at Tick. Before you do that though, I would decide on what turbo you're going to be going with. I'd do a ton of research on here first to see what other guy's combos have done with a stock LQ4. The S480 turbo is pretty popular and would work great on a LQ4. It's not that expensive either. You could use the stock LQ4 intake if you want to, or you could go with a LS6 intake. If you want to spend some money, you could opt for an aftermarket intake, but that would be up to you and your wallet. I would also put in ARP rod bolts for safety. Depending on how many miles are on the LQ4 you get, you may want to put all new bearings in. For sure check them and replace them if needed. LS9 head gaskets and all the front end gaskets you'll need too. Upgraded head studs would be wise as well.
From the past research, that is what I found out as well. Its hard to believe this thing is such plug and play, but it is lol So besides a compatible fuel system and injectors is there anything else really?

With the N/A setup I'm planning on doing L92 heads with a LS3 intake, matched with Ticks cam.

Stock LQ4 heads and intake, what type of power would I be around with a good turbo cam?
Old 09-12-2013, 01:36 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

From the past research, that is what I found out as well. Its hard to believe this thing is such plug and play, but it is lol So besides a compatible fuel system and injectors is there anything else really?

With the N/A setup I'm planning on doing L92 heads with a LS3 intake, matched with Ticks cam.

Stock LQ4 heads and intake, what type of power would I be around with a good turbo cam?
With a good turbo cam and good fuel that s480 will put out over 1000whp without too much trouble.
Old 09-12-2013, 01:39 PM
TECH Senior Member

I really don't see any reason to have two different head/intake setups. In my opinion, if turbo is the ultimate goal, then go "all in" with the turbo parts. You can't have the best of both worlds without buying parts for NA and parts for turbo. Just get the LQ4, 317 heads, stock intake/TB and a custom turbo cam. It's still going to perform good NA, but will be optimal for the turbo. How long do you plan on having it NA before you can afford the turbo stuff? Looks like it's time for a credit card with a nice big spending limit on it.
Old 09-12-2013, 01:41 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by smokeshow
With a good turbo cam and good fuel that s480 will put out over 1000whp without too much trouble.
Very true. I think he wants to know how much NA power he'll make though. A LQ4, stock heads, stock intake/TB and a turbo cam, something like 400 rwhp is possible.
Old 09-12-2013, 02:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by MasterTomos
Why not build an LQ4 engine on an engine stand, and once you have all the parts and turbo stuff you need *then* do the swap and just leave the LS1 in there for now?
Originally Posted by BMF_Racing
TB & Intake both matter much more to the N/A world than FI. What is you HP goals down the road for the turbo?

If it were me, I'd build the engine for the turbo setup and just "deal" with whatever power it makes N/A for now, otherwise you will be buying things twice. I think you will need CNC'd ls3's or aftermarket heads to get the 500whp not to mention the cam needed for that will not be optimal for the turbo. -- Maybe build it for turbo and just run a 100-150hp shot on it in the time being??? just a thought.

Either way good luck.
I really don't see any reason to have two different head/intake setups. In my opinion, if turbo is the ultimate goal, then go "all in" with the turbo parts. You can't have the best of both worlds without buying parts for NA and parts for turbo. Just get the LQ4, 317 heads, stock intake/TB and a custom turbo cam. It's still going to perform good NA, but will be optimal for the turbo. How long do you plan on having it NA before you can afford the turbo stuff? Looks like it's time for a credit card with a nice big spending limit on it.
Originally Posted by smokeshow
Very true. I think he wants to know how much NA power he'll make though. A LQ4, stock heads, stock intake/TB and a turbo cam, something like 400 rwhp is possible.
I def hear what ya'll are saying, it does make the most sense doing it that way. And I greatly appreciate the feedback.

The issue is I probably wont be able to drop anymore $ on the car for another 2-3 years, I'm trying to prevent myself from being in a position where I may have to sell it. All I'm really doing besides the turbo cam is throwing some l92 heads on it, other than that it'll be stock, well also with a ls6 or ls3 intake. I have had this car with bolt ons for too long to just be at 400whp lol

One last question, Whats a good fuel setup to go with (Injectors) that I can use N/A and isn't overkill but can use when I turbo it for a while before big boost?
Old 09-12-2013, 02:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

One last question, Whats a good fuel setup to go with (Injectors) that I can use N/A and isn't overkill but can use when I turbo it for a while before big boost?
Bosch 044 ?? Then do dual 044's for boost.
Old 09-12-2013, 02:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Bosch 044 ?? Then do dual 044's for boost.
Nice! Sweet GN man.
Old 09-12-2013, 02:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Nice! Sweet GN man.
thanks man, can't wait to get it dynoed and make some hits.
Old 09-12-2013, 02:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

thanks man, can't wait to get it dynoed and make some hits.
Old 09-15-2013, 03:26 AM
FormerVendor

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

I have a 227/235 113+6 cam that would make for a strong N/A camshaft until you did the turbo kit and work well with a S480 when the time comes.

It will also work very well with square port heads and honestly, I'd just leave the square port heads on it when the time came. I'd also highly recommend the LQ9 for its higher compression, but it won't be the end of the world if you end up with a LQ4.
Old 09-16-2013, 09:18 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Martin@Tick
I have a 227/235 113+6 cam that would make for a strong N/A camshaft until you did the turbo kit and work well with a S480 when the time comes.

It will also work very well with square port heads and honestly, I'd just leave the square port heads on it when the time came. I'd also highly recommend the LQ9 for its higher compression, but it won't be the end of the world if you end up with a LQ4.
Sounds good Martin! Interesting, looking forward to doing business with you!
Old 09-16-2013, 09:40 AM
FormerVendor

Not a problem.
Old 09-16-2013, 10:51 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Sounds good Martin! Interesting, looking forward to doing business with you!
You're in good hands.
Old 09-16-2013, 11:09 PM
FormerVendor

You're in good hands.
Need to let me whip something up for that monster you've got....

Quick Reply: FI LQ4/LQ9 for Dummies.