Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

critique my setup please!

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2013, 10:40 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default critique my setup please!

2000 Camaro SS, LS1 w/ .030 Diamond Racing forged turbo pistons (9:1), Eagle forged rods, Stock crank, Z06 cam/springs, ported heads, 42.5 lb Lucas injectors, Walbro 255lph fuel pump, Racetronix hit wire kit, CX Racing turbo kit, garret T-67, Greddy BOV, Tial Waste gate, 2 bar Cobalt SS MAP sensor, TCI SSF 3500 stall, B&M cooler, Built 4L60E A4 with Every Damn Good Thing I Could Stuff in It, Very Worried stock 10-bolt Rear End.

The cold side is all aluminiumized steel that will be welded together so i'm not using so many silicone couplers, through a big FMIC. I do not plan on running a MAF, and just using the IAT sensor. Along with the intake i have what is left over of a STS methanol injection kit. (Long story short, this car started off at a STS rear mount but has went front mount) I want to use the meth injection kit. I have the pump, lines, nozzle and water/meth tank, but have gotten rid of most of the STS wiring harness mess.

As for the exhaust, I am planning on only running the front O2 sensors on each bank, as the back two are already deleted due to the last tune, so i might as well keep it that way. Right after the turbo, i have an AEM wide band O2 sensor for tuning purposes. The down pipe is 3in and has one 90 degree bend and is only about 18in long.

I'm also running a vented catch can set up that vents into the atmosphere, and no fumes sucked back into the intake. I have also deleted the EVAP purge valve and solenoid.

My big concern is with how much boost i should run? past set up was around 5psi, low boost and 10psi plus meth at high boost (Previous setup had a dual boost controller.) Also i don't really want to run a dual boost controller, I would much rather just run it straight up, but i would like to use the meth injection. So is there any place that sells just the control boxes for a meth injection kit or would i be better off building my own since i have a majority of the components?

I am also a little curious about not running a MAF as opposed to keeping the MAF and the IAT sensor both. The guy the will be doing my tuning had suggested i remove the MAF.

This is just a street car, with maybe some track time, maybe two or three test and tunes a year. I would really like to be in the mid to upper 600's in HP, but i think i'm pretty limited due to my current fuel system setup and the smaller turbo. I was just hoping i could get some feedback about what i could do differently to make the achieve my goals right now.

Thanks guys i appreciate it
Old 09-19-2013, 04:37 PM
On The Tree

Anyone?
Old 09-19-2013, 07:24 PM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

One thing i will say is get better valve springs. You are boosted you can't be running stock ones.
Old 09-20-2013, 10:58 AM
On The Tree

I was kind of thinking that. Maybe a dual spring set up, but If I'm going to go that far I might as well go through the heads and upgrade the top end of the motor as well but I have no idea what kind of cam head valve train set up would be beneficial.
Old 09-20-2013, 11:55 AM
TECH Resident

Why waste money forging a motor to run a 67mm turbo and 42lb injector. Seems like a waste.
Old 09-20-2013, 12:41 PM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ya you need a way bigger turbo, 80lbs injectors, prc eht valve springs. Please don't take this the wrong way. I think you need to do a lot more reading on this site to get a better overall understanding of what's going on. or pick out a good sponsOr and ask them what cam, turbo, fuel, for you're goals.
Old 09-20-2013, 02:52 PM
On The Tree

I didn't built this car. I bought the car with everything built. The only thing I've done is move to a t-67 turbo front mount inter cooler and the cx racing hot side
Old 09-20-2013, 03:02 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by SPRAYED 01
Ya you need a way bigger turbo, 80lbs injectors, prc eht valve springs. Please don't take this the wrong way. I think you need to do a lot more reading on this site to get a better overall understanding of what's going on. or pick out a good sponsOr and ask them what cam, turbo, fuel, for you're goals.
.....this
Old 09-20-2013, 04:35 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Like stated before that little 67mm turbo's exhaust side is going to choke the motor up top. I did basically the same thing you are planning only I had a garret 76mm on my STS and I moved it up front 4 months later it was gone and replaced with a S480 my car would fall on its face past 5200 rpm with the GT76mm. Sell the 42s then grab some 80s that will cost about 100 extra dollars out of pocket once the 42's sell. If you are on a tight budget sell the 67 mm turbo and pick up one of the ebay GT45's make sure you get the right one, find Denmahs signature and click on the link to his commonly bought turbo items thread. Their dirt cheap and you should break about even, The exhaust size on that GT45 is much more friendly to the LS motor and will get you close to the 700 rwhp figure with twin 255's in the tank, its also proven its longevity on several different cars of different makes it will also spool fast on your combo which will make it fun on the street and the car should pull to 6K. Run a minimum of comp 918 springs.
Old 09-20-2013, 04:52 PM
TECH Resident

The CX Racing GT45 is the "good" one. 77mm exhaust wheel and is available with either a 76 or 80mm compressor wheel.
Old 09-21-2013, 11:40 AM
On The Tree

So i am being way to conservative with this build is what you all are saying? ditch the smaller turbo, and get a bigger one 76mm or above and get some 80# injectors and do a dual intank fuel pump set up?

Quick Reply: critique my setup please!