Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

IAC not closing idling @ 2500 rpms

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2013, 02:40 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Only adjust IAC steps... you can do this with the key on and the car not running. You can even take the IAC out of the throttle body. If you do remove it though, do it slowly. Then just keep the wiring plugged into the IAC and use HP Tuners to command desired IAC steps. This way you can actually watch the IAC and see if it really is working or not.

310, like The Alchemist stated, sounds correct for Key-On. If it slowly goes to zero, you likely, as he also mentioned, have a vacuum leak somewhere.

Disconnect the throttle cable and make sure the throttle stop is correctly positioned, confirming that the blade is closed completely as well.

Last edited by edwardzracing; 09-26-2013 at 03:16 PM.
Old 09-26-2013, 06:26 PM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

FYI, I had a BlueMaxx throttle body that was fine when I was NA, but when I went to FI, it would stick after going into boost, it wouldn't go back to 0% throttle, it would hang at 2-4% for some reason. I got tired of fighting it, and ending up buying a new throttle body.
Old 09-26-2013, 07:44 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Can anyone tell me why both of my IAC sensors I have activate (I can feel the motor turn and moving) but the plunger will not move? Are they just noth working or is it my computer not working? I mean it seems as if my computer is activating the sensor but the plunger will move in or out.
Old 09-26-2013, 08:11 PM
Launching!

I know your trying to trouble shoot the IAC now, but did this work fine before the tuner started on it. Just trying to help you narrow this down. If so, do you know if he tried the tune that was in it when you brought it to him to see if he accidentially did something? Was anything else touched?
Old 09-26-2013, 08:51 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by KY Nova
I know your trying to trouble shoot the IAC now, but did this work fine before the tuner started on it. Just trying to help you narrow this down. If so, do you know if he tried the tune that was in it when you brought it to him to see if he accidentially did something? Was anything else touched?
Yeah, in was fine I broke in the motor (700 miles) with a base tune I bought from a vender here and it never had a hanging idle. My tuner told me that the hanging idle happened to him on one occasion when he was tuning at WOT. That's when we bought a new IAC and he said it corrected the problem then. I've just been having a hell of a time fixing it this time.
Old 09-26-2013, 08:55 PM
Launching!

Ok, had you made any WOT pulls before you took it? I personally would load that base tune and see if it is ok, if it was originally. You've tried 2 IAC's. It would be quick and easy to do that test.
Old 09-26-2013, 10:09 PM
TECH Resident

It would be but I don't have that original tune. Unless I can get a hold of frost and ask him for it or my tuner has the original.
Old 09-27-2013, 07:54 AM
TECH Resident

Would a vacuum leak make my rpms shoot up as soon as I turn the car on or would it be more like my rpm issue, at start up idle is at 1100 rpm then as it gets into temperature it jumps to 2500 rpms? Any help appreciated
Old 09-27-2013, 08:49 AM
9 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It very well could be a vacuum leak. My tuner struggled getting my car to idle and had to do a few things he probably shouldn't have. I have looked for vacuum leaks and can't find anything. We got it to idle pretty well right now though, but still could use some tweaking. It used to idle high on a cold start until I blipped the throttle and it would come down. After a hard run the idle would shoot up when I put it in park. It still does it every now and then but doesn't idle as high as it used.

FWIW, I can't change my idle at all via the commands in HPTuners either. My IAC shows 187 after the car has warmed. When I turn on the IAC Step function it kills the motor as it isn't getting enough air. I have messed with trying to reset the IAC, TPS, and have done the procedure that denmah posted to no avail.

I know this doesn't help you at all, but sounds like we have similar issues.
Old 09-27-2013, 09:00 AM
TECH Resident

Thanks Redrocket at least I know Im not alone. Frustrating though...
Old 09-28-2013, 12:29 AM
TECH Resident

PROBLEM SOLVED!!! I took the computer off cleaned all the pins in the harness and when I was going to hook it back onto the cpu I noticed the rubber grommet inside the harness was pinched. Which was causing the harness from seating correctly on the cpu. The funny thing is that I had already taken the harness off and checked the wires and installed it back on. So im sure that pinch was the cause of the IAC not working. When I looked where the grommet was pinched, I noticed that it was pinched right where one of the IAC pins went into the cpu ports. I'm so happy I got that out of the way. I almost drove this bitch off the cliff. Lol. I figured I would come back and finish this thread because a lot of the times people find out the problem and never update the thread. Thanks to everyone for helping me try to trouble shoot this issue. Lets go race!!!!

Last edited by Tirefire; 09-28-2013 at 12:36 AM.
Old 09-28-2013, 07:21 AM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Good deal. Let er rip.

Quick Reply: IAC not closing idling @ 2500 rpms