Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Quench on turbo engines

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2013, 12:43 AM
TECH Addict

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Bump for more opinions, switch to .060 cometics? Spray lotsa meth early on? can E85 fix tight quench?

I'm waiting to hear back from some tuners I emailed, but I want to take it all In before I change something..
Old 10-14-2013, 08:28 AM
8 Second Club

Received 121 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by HexenLord
Quench becomes more important when the engine is used on the street and spends lots of time out of boost. If you're going for peak power and reliability in boost, keep the piston in the hole. Most drag cars that push the limits of power per displacement (like the old 1200+ HP 4 cylinder hot rod cars) keep the pistons in the hole because quench creates hot spots, which can be really bad at high boost when the dynamic compression is already through the roof even with low static.

Basically it comes down to intended purpose.
Yup

I run .040 quench on my flap tops with e50 and 10:1 static
Old 10-14-2013, 06:55 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by rotary1307cc
Yup

I run .040 quench on my flap tops with e50 and 10:1 static
yes im probably going to pick up some .060 cometics which will give me .040 quench and ill be at 9.58:1 static

how good are .060 thick head gaskets on moderate/high boost, I wanted to try and push 17-18 psi
Old 10-15-2013, 11:43 AM
FormerVendor

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

My motor has .046" quench.

It's all about static and dynamic compression as well as the tune-up.

Not just the quench number.
Old 10-15-2013, 01:27 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Martin@Tick

Exactly, I'm trying to tie them all together but idea of tight quench of .031 is throwing me off, I don't want a tuning nightmare..

I'm still trying to find out my dynamic CR with my Tu1 cam 225/225 .581/.581 113
Old 10-15-2013, 01:35 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Martin@Tick

Not to hijack the OP's thread, but could you elaborate. I am with the user in that my quench is at .038 static compression is 9.4:1 and dynamic is at 7.96:1. Based on the info gathered so far, it looks like good numbers, but this was mostly acquired from N/A precedents. Why wouldn't they apply to a boosted engine also. Assuming the compressor is in it's efficient operating range, and you're not running extreme IAT's what is to be considered.
Old 10-15-2013, 02:36 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

tight quench on an na angine will reduce the large tuning window but the normal thickness of pistons and such means even when "hot" it does not break as much stuff as a high HP NA or Nitrous motor will. The minimal gains say from .035 to .050 in hp advantage are not worth the smaller tunning window in most cases. Tight quench should be saved for limited power adder class racing IMHO. You just don't need to speed up the flame travel on PA cars. you normally are trying to slow it dwon with colder fuel.
Old 10-15-2013, 09:59 PM
FormerVendor

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Burken01
Exactly, I'm trying to tie them all together but idea of tight quench of .031 is throwing me off, I don't want a tuning nightmare..

I'm still trying to find out my dynamic CR with my Tu1 cam 225/225 .581/.581 113
Calculate the valve events using the advertised duration on the cam card and the ICL it says the events are degreed to on the card.
Originally Posted by cmac06
Not to hijack the OP's thread, but could you elaborate. I am with the user in that my quench is at .038 static compression is 9.4:1 and dynamic is at 7.96:1. Based on the info gathered so far, it looks like good numbers, but this was mostly acquired from N/A precedents. Why wouldn't they apply to a boosted engine also. Assuming the compressor is in it's efficient operating range, and you're not running extreme IAT's what is to be considered.
I would run a step colder heat range plug than what you think you should, and keep timing 2-3 degrees lower than you think you should. Watch how the engine performs. Take baby steps with tuning changes.

I can't stress enough how important this is, but you have to read your plugs when they're fresh and brand new, no to very limited idle time and shut it off at the stripe or on a back road somewhere.

Once you do this and learn your car and your tune up you won't have to read plugs that often. It's part of pushing the edge. Still should do it even if you're not "pushing it" though.
Originally Posted by ShiznityZ28
tight quench on an na angine will reduce the large tuning window but the normal thickness of pistons and such means even when "hot" it does not break as much stuff as a high HP NA or Nitrous motor will. The minimal gains say from .035 to .050 in hp advantage are not worth the smaller tunning window in most cases. Tight quench should be saved for limited power adder class racing IMHO. You just don't need to speed up the flame travel on PA cars. you normally are trying to slow it dwon with colder fuel.
Very true. My car runs in a 76mm compressor limited class where we're looking for every ounce of power. On top of that mine is non-intercooled. That said, I've never even turned the motor over yet so I can't tell you how it runs like that.

I'd love to have an A2W, but I don't think it's feasible to get what I want due to cost.

Last edited by Sales@Tick; 10-15-2013 at 11:08 PM.

Quick Reply: Quench on turbo engines