Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

5.3 turbo help

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2013, 05:19 PM
FormerVendor

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Forcefed86
Just pointing out that for the OP’s power goals, a custom cam is a semi expensive option (considering the cost of JY 5.3) that isn’t necessary for his power goal if he is on a budget

I’m not trying to defend this cam or claiming it’s “great” for my setup or anyone else’s. Something custom ground for your specific setup will always be better if you can afford it.

This was a mock-up motor I threw it together dirt cheap. I still think the ZR1 will perform better than the OEM 5.3 cam which was my other choice when I built the engine. Looking at the dyno tests carcraft did on a “stock” 5.3, the ZR1 is comparable to an L33, LS6, or LS1 cam in NA power output. It is what it is for a cheap cam. http://www.carcraft.com/techarticles...mparisons.html

Going by race weight and trap speed I’m over 800whp through an auto and 9” rear. I’m not complaining to loudly as this is still a bone stock $220 short block running 8.6:1 compression. If guys are pushing 26+lbs in 10:1 LS 5.3's with similar turbos, technically This setup should still have some steam left in it. I didn't want to walk home so i've been taking baby steps.
I think the stock 5.3 cam is miles better than the ZR1 cam.

I understand what you were saying, just pointing out to anyone reading not to think that they could take a ZR1 cam and chunk it in their 3800lb. f-body and run as fast as you have.
Old 10-22-2013, 06:13 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, im going to use the 243 heads, i searched and read about the compression ratio on 317's, also i find a very good deal in a edelbrock pro-flo xt intake, any one already try that?
Old 10-22-2013, 06:37 PM
8 Second Club

Received 731 Likes on 536 Posts

Originally Posted by Martin@Tick
I think the stock 5.3 cam is miles better than the ZR1 cam.

I understand what you were saying, just pointing out to anyone reading not to think that they could take a ZR1 cam and chunk it in their 3800lb. f-body and run as fast as you have.
I was only making power claims as that was what the op was asking about. Someone could surely make the same power I am with the exact same combo regardless of weight. Its cheaper to make power with boost than it is with compression,rpm, cam, heads, etc...
Old 10-22-2013, 07:15 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by chevy69
Well, im going to use the 243 heads, i searched and read about the compression ratio on 317's, also i find a very good deal in a edelbrock pro-flo xt intake, any one already try that?
I was running the 317 on my 5.3. I had a stock 5.3 with with a pt74. You will find that you weak point is with the rods. I have done a few of these motors for BMF and myself. The only thing I can tell you is we pushed a 4,200lb t type with a STOCK 6.0 too 10.20s @ 135. We finally hurt the motor on the launch, car spun bad and then hooked up. Take baby steps!!!!!!! I would rather be further away from detonation with a stock motor than closer too it. Things can go bad in a hurry
Old 10-22-2013, 09:17 PM
FormerVendor

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Forcefed86
I was only making power claims as that was what the op was asking about. Someone could surely make the same power I am with the exact same combo regardless of weight. Its cheaper to make power with boost than it is with compression,rpm, cam, heads, etc...
Is that why you chose the cam, because of it's price?

Just asking to be sure.

I don't think you realize how much torque you're leaving on the table that's all. The late closing event probably helps your car in retrospect thinking about it. I still wouldn't want it that late though.

You've done well with it. Other's have not from my research and customers who've switched from one.
Old 10-22-2013, 09:34 PM
Teching In

Use a stock ecu and tune it on efi live or hptuner. Either get a mls gasket for a 5.3 that matches the bore and run less boost or run ls9 gaskets and run more. I agree get a bw s475. Im running that turbo with comp turbo cam and proflow intake on a stock 5.3 it makes 633whp at 13lbs thru a th400. It made 587whp at 13 with a z06 cam and truck intake.
Old 10-22-2013, 09:55 PM
8 Second Club

Received 731 Likes on 536 Posts

Originally Posted by Martin@Tick
Is that why you chose the cam, because of it's price?

Just asking to be sure.

I don't think you realize how much torque you're leaving on the table that's all. The late closing event probably helps your car in retrospect thinking about it. I still wouldn't want it that late though.

You've done well with it. Other's have not from my research and customers who've switched from one.
Availability and price yes. I couldn't find a used ls1/ls6/l33 cam for a decent price. And I thought the zr1 cam would out perform the LM7 cam on my setup.

Quick Reply: 5.3 turbo help