Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

SN95 5.3 TH400 3.27 build thread - 10.88/134.86 - NOW LQ9

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2015, 01:23 AM
8 Second Truck Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

If your looking at actual fuel consumption, aka Holley EFI in lbs./hr, then no, maximum fuel consumption is not at peak torque.

If your looking at a VE table and overlay a pull, the biggest number you hit will likely be "around" torque peak. At which point you should NOT be adding a bunch of timing as that is the point where the engine is seeing the most cylinder pressure.
Old 12-30-2015, 01:32 AM
8 Second Club

Received 700 Likes on 441 Posts

Originally Posted by Blown06
If your looking at actual fuel consumption, aka Holley EFI in lbs./hr, then no, maximum fuel consumption is not at peak torque.

If your looking at a VE table and overlay a pull, the biggest number you hit will likely be "around" torque peak. At which point you should NOT be adding a bunch of timing as that is the point where the engine is seeing the most cylinder pressure.
Agree
Old 12-30-2015, 06:44 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Blown06

great tip thanks!
Old 12-31-2015, 01:27 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do you know how much the speed engineering bracket pulled the power steering pump "in"?
Old 12-31-2015, 02:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 66fasty
Do you know how much the speed engineering bracket pulled the power steering pump "in"?
Hard to say, but its likely minimal if any. Looks like the PS pump is lifted a bit. I wouldn't by the bracket if your looking for PS pump clearance that's for sure. For hood/intake clearance it did the trick.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/361297424236?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
Old 01-14-2016, 09:39 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Any chance you damaged the old alternator by spinning it too fast, and that's why it stopped working well even when you kept revs more reasonable? Or it's possible that it was just worn out.
Old 01-14-2016, 01:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Junkie
Any chance you damaged the old alternator by spinning it too fast, and that's why it stopped working well even when you kept revs more reasonable? Or it's possible that it was just worn out.
Who knows. I had (2) 105a alternators that didn't work at high rpms. I would think if they were damaged they wouldn't work right at any rpms.

The 145a unit has been great, 13.8v minimum. Usually around 14v at WOT even with the cooling fan and meth pump going.
Old 02-21-2016, 07:51 AM
TECH Fanatic

Small update....I upgraded the cam to a later-model LS6 cam! WOW, smooth idle, no valvetrain noise....LOVE IT!

The BTR 218/223 112 lsa cam seems to have made the power up top I think, but fuel consumption between the 2 cams is identical. Looks like the LS6 cam lost 1 psi of boost pressure interestingly...not sure if that's good or bad??
Old 03-05-2016, 07:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

The final upgrade....

Finally got the Holley boost control working. Being that this is a HP ecu which only has 4 outputs, I already used up 3 with the elec fan meth system. I was down to 1, so I can only run 1 boost solenoid vs the more desireable 2 solenoids. Using the compressor cover as the pressure source for dome pressure. Boost vs speed is now working nicely which minimal tuning.

Running 7psi springs in the gates, 8psi in the domes yields 14psi. I could alway buy a stand alone controller for the elec fan to free-up another output and then I could go dual solenoid, but lets see how this works out after some more time.

Dam roads still have salt/dust so its real hard to try and get traction around here.

Name:  7A5E3F33-802C-45D4-BE2E-98598E0FC544_zpsp8f16ooe.jpg
Views: 309
Size:  241.6 KB
Old 03-05-2016, 08:50 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm sorry if you've posted it somewhere, but are you still on stock suspension?
Old 03-05-2016, 09:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by NateLS1Mustang
I'm sorry if you've posted it somewhere, but are you still on stock suspension?
Other than adjustable upper and lower rear control arms - yes. I did reinforce the torque boxes.
Old 03-05-2016, 09:16 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 69-chvl
Other than adjustable upper and lower rear control arms - yes. I did reinforce the torque boxes.
That's great to hear. What LCAs & UCAs are you running?
Old 03-06-2016, 07:02 AM
TECH Fanatic

That's great to hear. What LCAs & UCAs are you running?
Upper are UPR double adjustable. Lowers are UMI adjustable, but they have the helm joint on one end that is already worn out after ~2000-3000 miles and pops. This I'm not happy about and from what I'm reading is normal??? Debating on replacing the joints OR replacing the entire LCA with something with regular poly ends on both ends.
Old 03-06-2016, 09:03 PM
TECH Resident

Received 117 Likes on 98 Posts

Upper are UPR double adjustable. Lowers are UMI adjustable, but they have the helm joint on one end that is already worn out after ~2000-3000 miles and pops. This I'm not happy about and from what I'm reading is normal??? Debating on replacing the joints OR replacing the entire LCA with something with regular poly ends on both ends.

Is this from our crappy PA roads/poor quality heim ends or just running solid ends on the street period? Love your build! And X2 on the salt and gravel. I can't wait for this crap to wash away. Come on rain!
Old 03-07-2016, 09:24 AM
Launching!

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I use Maximum Motorsports lower control arms with spherical bearings at both ends, on a purely street-driven car, and haven't had any problems with popping or clunking. I don't know whether UMI uses a lower-quality bearing, or whether your conditions are just harsher than mine (probably!).

One thing you might want to check when you take the control arms off is whether the bolt that goes through the axle end of the control arm is the correct diameter for the bearing. For the '99-04 era cars, Ford switched to a larger (14mm, up from 12mm) diameter bolt for the lower control arms. If you are using the smaller diameter pre-'99 bolt in a control arm intended for a later model year, the bolt is 2mm undersized and may contribute to clunking.
Old 03-07-2016, 12:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Bad Apache
Is this from our crappy PA roads/poor quality heim ends or just running solid ends on the street period? Love your build! And X2 on the salt and gravel. I can't wait for this crap to wash away. Come on rain!
Not sure....the roads are pretty crappy. But, I drive this thing a lot so I would expect some wear. If I spray them down with silicone they quiet down...for like a day.

Originally Posted by lemming104
I use Maximum Motorsports lower control arms with spherical bearings at both ends, on a purely street-driven car, and haven't had any problems with popping or clunking. I don't know whether UMI uses a lower-quality bearing, or whether your conditions are just harsher than mine (probably!).

One thing you might want to check when you take the control arms off is whether the bolt that goes through the axle end of the control arm is the correct diameter for the bearing. For the '99-04 era cars, Ford switched to a larger (14mm, up from 12mm) diameter bolt for the lower control arms. If you are using the smaller diameter pre-'99 bolt in a control arm intended for a later model year, the bolt is 2mm undersized and may contribute to clunking.
Yeah I remember having some issues with the bolt sizing, but I got that straightened out ( installed larger 14mm bolts). I figured UMI was good stuff. I called them and they said the spherical ends are a race part and wear is expected. But even though they have worn some, they only deflect a minute amount compared to say rubber or poly. I can say I have absolutely no wheel hop which is a good thing. I'll probably replace the joints for now, maybe try to find a higher quality piece.
Old 03-07-2016, 01:27 PM
On The Tree

When you built the hot side around the stock k-member, was the routing you took the only way you could make it work? Or was there any other options?

Also, could you not fit regular truck manifolds due to the stock K?
Old 03-07-2016, 04:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

When you built the hot side around the stock k-member, was the routing you took the only way you could make it work? Or was there any other options?

Also, could you not fit regular truck manifolds due to the stock K?
There's lotsa different ways to do things, but I think the way I laid it out made the most sense...no fender exhaust, I can run a decent air filter, heater core hoses still operable, turbo mounted to the engine (no flex issues), didn't have to relocate coils etc etc. One thing I would of done differently is NOT use the UPR 4.6 to LS mounts...they just jack the engine up too high and the 4.6 mounts are a PIA when it comes time to remove the engine b/c the engine has to be lifted up high for the mounts' studs to come out of engine stands. This makes it tough to side the engine back into the trans. I though about slotting the engine stands to the engine will "slid" into place rather than have to be "Dropped" into place if you know what I mean. I also would of liked the wastegates up higher so I can service them easier but that was too hard for me to do and really not THAT bigga deal b/c how much to you really mess with those?

I seem to remember the truck manifolds running into a PS pump or sway bar - cant remember. The LS3 mani's were just made for this car
Old 03-07-2016, 04:24 PM
Launching!

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I seem to remember the truck manifolds running into a PS pump or sway bar - cant remember. The LS3 mani's were just made for this car
Power steering on the driver's side, to be sure. It might also not clear the front sway bar, but I didn't even get far enough to consider that on my own swap. I just gave up and bought the LS3 manifolds.

With the LS3 manifolds and either the UPR adapters or modified Mustang engine mounts, the collectors land very neatly between the front hoop of the K-member and the front sway bar. It really does package very well. There's plenty of room on the passenger's side of the engine if you're using the truck accessory layout, so you don't necessarily HAVE to mount the turbo up high like that, but it's by far the most logical option if you don't want to use a scavenge pump and want to run the exhaust out the back.
Old 03-07-2016, 06:32 PM
On The Tree

Shoot, I was hoping I could use the stock truck manifolds. That's a bummer. Glad yall mentioned that before I welded the v-bands on this week! lol.

Edit: so if you were to do it all over again, would you have used an aftermarket k-member? Or do you see no point in an aftermarket K for this setup in the SN95 platform?

Last edited by NateLS1Mustang; 03-07-2016 at 06:38 PM.

Quick Reply: SN95 5.3 TH400 3.27 build thread - 10.88/134.86 - NOW LQ9