Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Boost Controllers That Aren't For Street Cars

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2013, 06:33 PM
8 Second Club

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

20 oz bottle will last over 50 passes at the track with plenty to spare...
guys are getting a full race season and then some out of 20 oz

a 5lb bottle is 4x as much.....
I think it is fair to say it will last quite a long time

and you can get it refilled at any paintball shop

Last edited by soundengineer; 12-11-2013 at 08:34 PM.
Old 12-11-2013, 09:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by soundengineer
5lb co2 bottle is the same size and weight as a 5lb nitrous bottle, it just as a slightly different valve design
holders for the bottle depend on how you want to mount it...they dont weigh anything worth mentioning usually

the Viair 450c weighs 11lbs....
so again...not very much

they sell a version that comes with a little 2.5lb tank..they market that one to use with Air nailers and Air Riverters for portable construction work.
He said 5 gallon which i thought was odd capacity unit for a tank but some air compressors are rated in gallons

5-10 lb i thought would be nitrous sized
Old 12-11-2013, 09:22 PM
8 Second Club

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Orr89rocz
He said 5 gallon which i thought was odd capacity unit for a tank but some air compressors are rated in gallons

5-10 lb i thought would be nitrous sized
I fixed the post... meant to say 5lb...
was just talking to somebody else at the same time about another topic, and accidentally said gallon..
Old 12-12-2013, 06:57 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Sweet good deal, i like the idea of 2.5-5lb bottles. Should last me the year as little as i drive.
Old 12-12-2013, 07:10 AM
Gingervitis Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

FYI the Boost Leash is very similar to the AMS, just quite a bit cheaper (2 solenoids, only cares about pressure on top of the gate, etc).
Old 12-13-2013, 02:43 PM
Launching!

x100 the boost leash is very easy to hook up and controls boost VERY well even based on manifold pressure. I drive mine on the street plenty and the boost leash is very easy to use and is very accurate.
Old 12-14-2013, 05:15 AM
9 Second Club

Received 179 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by Heavy H.P.
Is there a such thing?

Boost Leash & AMS style Boost Controllers, are these over kill for street cars? Will they work just fine, I know the big boys use them and swear by them but will they work cars that are making 750-1000rwhp?
What exactly do you want from the controller ? What array of options ?

The two you mention are largely aimed at drag use. Not just big power.
Old 12-14-2013, 03:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by stevieturbo
What exactly do you want from the controller ? What array of options ?

The two you mention are largely aimed at drag use. Not just big power.
Well I'm still new to all this. But all I want besides the ability to control boost levels is just the ability to quickly change the boost. If I wanted to slow the car down for a street race then turn around and turn it back up that is what I'm looking for.
Old 12-14-2013, 03:50 PM
9 Second Club

So a simple high and low setting ?

Maybe 2, 3, 4 settings ? ie static boost levels.

Not boost vs speed, boost vs rpm, boost vs gear etc ? These latter options requiring more expensive controllers.

If all you wanted was 2 easy boost levels, then there are plenty of options.

Turbosmarts E-Boost street is a simple one, and circa $300 ( there are of course other sellers and prices, it just appeared on google. Some cheaper than $300 on Amazon )

http://www.boostcontroller.com/index...category%3D264

http://www.turbosmartusa.com/product/e-boost-street

Turbosmarts E-Boost 2 is popular and bloody good. More expensive, but it will allow you 4 different boost settings.

http://www.turbosmartusa.com/product/e-boost-2

Seems to be around $450 on Amazon.
Old 12-18-2013, 05:29 AM
TECH Enthusiast

So a simple high and low setting ?

Maybe 2, 3, 4 settings ? ie static boost levels.

Not boost vs speed, boost vs rpm, boost vs gear etc ? These latter options requiring more expensive controllers.

If all you wanted was 2 easy boost levels, then there are plenty of options.

Turbosmarts E-Boost street is a simple one, and circa $300 ( there are of course other sellers and prices, it just appeared on google. Some cheaper than $300 on Amazon )

http://www.boostcontroller.com/index...category%3D264

http://www.turbosmartusa.com/product/e-boost-street

Turbosmarts E-Boost 2 is popular and bloody good. More expensive, but it will allow you 4 different boost settings.

http://www.turbosmartusa.com/product/e-boost-2

Seems to be around $450 on Amazon.
Thanks
Old 12-18-2013, 07:54 AM
Staging Lane

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

The Boost Leash is not just for racecars. It works very good for streetcars too. Easy to use.
Old 12-18-2013, 08:45 AM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by leashed
The Boost Leash is not just for racecars. It works very good for streetcars too. Easy to use.
Can it do the above things I mentioned though, which are very very useful on a very powerful street car ?

ie true boost vs gear, boost vs speed, boost vs rpm. Or any one or combination of those ?

Simply targeting and holding a single boost pressure per setting is pretty easy for almost any controller to do and there are a myriad of controllers out there that can do that.
Old 01-17-2014, 05:38 PM
NLR
LS1TECH Sponsor

AMS2000

It will do any type of boost control strategy you can think of. Speed, time, time by gear, engine rpm, turboshaft speed, drive shaft speed, tps, gps or a combination of every single one of them.

Offered in a pro platform with full datalogging and gmeter and a base unit which can be updated to a pro at any time.

Lots of street cars are using it and absolutely love it.

All of our controllers can be used with manifold pressure as the supply source.
Old 01-17-2014, 06:07 PM
9 Second Club

From a simplicity point of view though....yes boost by mph etc will be easy.

But how does your unit determine gear ? Looking at your site, looks like you still want some sort of mechanical switches etc fitted in order to provide a voltage to your control unit ?

Seeing as it has the ability to accept a speed signal...and engine rpm, driveshaft rpm, whatever

Why not include in the software the ability to determine gear from the information ? Or easier still for a lot of modern cars, if you could pick up the data from OBD sources.

Would really make for an easy plug n play install
Old 01-18-2014, 07:53 AM
NLR
LS1TECH Sponsor

From a simplicity point of view though....yes boost by mph etc will be easy.

But how does your unit determine gear ? Looking at your site, looks like you still want some sort of mechanical switches etc fitted in order to provide a voltage to your control unit ?

Seeing as it has the ability to accept a speed signal...and engine rpm, driveshaft rpm, whatever

Why not include in the software the ability to determine gear from the information ? Or easier still for a lot of modern cars, if you could pick up the data from OBD sources.

Would really make for an easy plug n play install
As with any ecu you need to send a voltage per gear for a really easy set up, which we can do. It can accept a analog input .
Doesn't matter if its a motec , pectel, marelli , bosch or whatever. Even if you create a math channel in the ecu to determine gear it is still based on a speed input for information in order to do that. If its something that's demanded we will do it.
We have can bus capability and once we have all the protocols we need if the stock OBD source can send info telling what gear its in then its no problem.
Old 01-18-2014, 10:19 AM
8 Second Club

Received 120 Likes on 89 Posts

Run air and then not worry about c02. Easy tire pressure adjustments at the track too
Old 01-18-2014, 11:13 AM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by NLR
As with any ecu you need to send a voltage per gear for a really easy set up, which we can do. It can accept a analog input .
Doesn't matter if its a motec , pectel, marelli , bosch or whatever. Even if you create a math channel in the ecu to determine gear it is still based on a speed input for information in order to do that. If its something that's demanded we will do it.
We have can bus capability and once we have all the protocols we need if the stock OBD source can send info telling what gear its in then its no problem.
As with any ecu ?? ermm...no you dont.

You send the ecu vehicle speed, either via the VSS sender or via actual wheel speeds. That's a given anyway.
The ecu already has rpm...and you tell it the gearing for each gear.

Then it calculates gear. It doesnt get much easier and that is how most ecu's will do it. Having to add some sort of setup that outputs a voltage in order to determine gear is probably the most awkward way you could achieve it. Just how would you do that on a 6 sped manual for example ?

The only transmissions that routinely send out a voltage per gear are dedicated sequential gearboxes. Not even sure if automatics do it ?

I'm not trying to knock the product, I just hate the fact these companies selling boost controllers claim things, when the reality of actually making them happen is far from those claims, or at best quite difficult.
Old 01-18-2014, 07:29 PM
8 Second Club

Received 120 Likes on 89 Posts

Ecm always knows what gear and converter lockup status is on gm electronic autos
Old 01-18-2014, 08:02 PM
NLR
LS1TECH Sponsor

I said for a really easy set up. I didn't say for a specific car.
Well Im lucky because we have sequential boxes with gear position sensors that output a voltage per gear on most of the stuff we deal with that would want boost by gear.
I understand how to get gear from engine rpm , transmission gearing, and speed input its pretty basic math. We did not put the math in the ecu because frankly most would want just a speed based control set up rather than gear.

There is nothing difficult with a gear based program. If there is a demand Ill do it .

Last edited by NLR; 01-18-2014 at 08:17 PM.
Old 01-19-2014, 05:44 AM
9 Second Club

Most of the queries Ive seen on the forums from people with powerful manual cars ( not specific drag use ), that is the main query they ask about.

Quick Reply: Boost Controllers That Aren't For Street Cars