Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Boost Controllers That Aren't For Street Cars

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2013, 06:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Boost Controllers That Aren't For Street Cars

Is there a such thing?

Boost Leash & AMS style Boost Controllers, are these over kill for street cars? Will they work just fine, I know the big boys use them and swear by them but will they work cars that are making 750-1000rwhp?
Old 12-10-2013, 06:57 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yes they will work on that HP range.
Old 12-10-2013, 07:14 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Blackpanther99
Yes they will work on that HP range.
what kind of solenoid do they use??
Old 12-10-2013, 07:20 PM
8 Second Club

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Ak335i
what kind of solenoid do they use??

the AMS stuff uses the 3 port Humphrey...comes with it when you buy the kit...
and the Humphrey solenoid is already setup internally, so it works the best with the AMS-1000 / AMS-500

typically you want 2 solenoids...a fill solenoid and a vent solenoid

the AMS works awesome on a lower horsepower vehicle
it is the fastest responding controller on themarket

this is the solenoid sold separately
http://www.ams1000.com/index.php?opt...d=90&Itemid=97
Old 12-10-2013, 07:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

What makes them better then E Boost Street/E Boost 2 Controllers?
Old 12-10-2013, 07:23 PM
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by Heavy H.P.
What makes them better then E Boost Street/E Boost 2 Controllers?
Originally Posted by soundengineer
I repeat ^^^

Its very good at controlling boost....
again... best with 2 solenoids...one for fill and one for vent
and best if you use an external pressure source for it like Co2.
Old 12-10-2013, 07:25 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

No such thing as TOO good of a boost controller. We have used plenty of AMS1000's on street cars. They work great
Old 12-10-2013, 07:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I repeat ^^^

Its very good at controlling boost....
again... best with 2 solenoids...one for fill and one for vent
and best if you use an external pressure source for it like Co2.
Sorry man, I thought there might be some other differences that's why i asked.

Originally Posted by Frans96SS
No such thing as TOO good of a boost controller. We have used plenty of AMS1000's on street cars. They work great
So I take it you recommend them instead of some of the others
Old 12-10-2013, 07:33 PM
8 Second Club

I grabbed this from another post about the AMS stuff...
thought it would be good to add here so that anybody can see why the AMS stuff is so good..

Originally Posted by AMS-500
Based on what is regarded as the the best boost controller available the AMS-1000, the neww AMS-500 is the baby brother for those who do not need all the extra features the 1000 has. Do not under estimate its performace or potential however it is a full function 2 stage controller, the first sage can be set for staging using a transbrake or switch and the second for launching with a ramp function to keep the car hooked up of the line you can control the rate that the boost comes on. The 500 uses the proven software and waste gate control system of the 1000 so you know it performance will be spot on.
Originally Posted by AMS-1000
The AMS-1000 is the secret the top teams are using and now it is available to you! NLR is the leader in forced induction technology. The latest development is this controller. This controller does what others wish they could do. This unit will out perform ANY controller on the market! This unit can also be purchased to upgrade a current MSBC-1 set up. Take advantage of the latest technology from NLR! The quickest and fastest bikes, cars, snowmobiles and boats in the world use BOOST CONTROL FROM NLR. Think about it....engineered and designed to control boost on 600hp street tire(6 inch contact patch), no wheelie bar bikes that run mid 7's @200+mph in the 1/4 mile. Imagine what it can do for you !
No limit on boost pressure....the AMS will control as much as your system can produce!

Flexibility, Accuracy, and Precise Control. (Supercharged, turbocharged or anything controlled by air)

Proven track record in professional competition.
User friendly and Great for Street Applications.
Exclusive NLR "Forward Feedback Technology".
Fast 50-Mhz Processor with Enhanced Timer sub-system.
128x64 Graphical LCD Display.
Intuitive & User Friendly Graphical user Interface.

Features:
Compact Billet Aluminum Enclosure.
Latest FLASH memory technology for future software upgrades.
Wide range of MAP Sensors supported. 30psi, 60psi and 100psi.
Launch boost control programmable to range of sensor.
Scramble input, increase boost with the press of a button.
Reduce input, decrease boost level without lifting the throttle.
Launch, Shift, Scramble, and Reduce inputs can be configured for +12V or Ground Activation. No More RELAYS!
Graph view of Current Setup.
Integrated Data Logger with Graph View.
Dimensions: length=4.350 width 2.85 high=1.00 wieght= 12 oz.

Multiple Operating Modes:
Time Based, 1 to 6 stages fully programmable.
Shift Based, 1 to 6 stages fully programmable.
GPS(Gear Position Sensor), 1 to 6 positions with Setup Wizard.
Programmable Ramp Rate for each stage, 0-100psi per second.
Ability to Ramp Boost Level back down to adjust for track conditions.
Dual channel, Auxiliary channel may also be used for Live Boost monitoring, data logging.
Includes AMS-1000 Control Unit, 60 psi sensor with lead, Harness, and Control Solenoids.
Old 12-10-2013, 07:36 PM
8 Second Club

if you look at the perfomance of both of the controllers you mentioned....
they both will "control boost"

the AMS stuff will be dead nuts on usually within 0.1 psi once you dial it in...

I've never seen the E-boost stuff get it that close... usually its within 0.5~1.0 psi...
and unfortunately that just isnt very accurate in my opinion....
though the ones I have seen are also half the price of an AMS-1000, so I dont expect it to perform as well.
Old 12-10-2013, 07:37 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I run the 500 on my personal race car. Runs 5.2's in the 1/8th and street drives perfect.
Old 12-10-2013, 07:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Ok, let me say sorry for posting this in advance. I thinking of going turbo but no nothing about it. I have a question that I have been trying to answer on my own and just can not find the answer to. Seems that for go knows how long I've been thinking that turbo guys were just able to press a button and add more boost right there on the spot. Now after really leaning about this stuff it is no where near that simple.
So my question that I have to ask
If your in a race on the street and you want to run it at 8lbs of boost then turn about and run another race with more boost, how does that work with these controllers?
Do they have the ability to save this in groups kind of like can tunes or something. Or am I looking at this all wrong.
Help me out please
Old 12-10-2013, 09:14 PM
8 Second Club

Received 121 Likes on 90 Posts

the AMS stuff uses the 3 port Humphrey...comes with it when you buy the kit...
and the Humphrey solenoid is already setup internally, so it works the best with the AMS-1000 / AMS-500

typically you want 2 solenoids...a fill solenoid and a vent solenoid

the AMS works awesome on a lower horsepower vehicle

this is the solenoid sold separately
http://www.ams1000.com/index.php?opt...d=90&Itemid=97
Your post implies the to me the ams uses a singular solenoid just fyi
Old 12-10-2013, 10:42 PM
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by rotary1307cc
Your post implies the to me the ams uses a singular solenoid just fyi
I dont see how that implies to use a single....
I have said multiple times you want 2 solenoids.. one for fill, and one for vent

and while it can be done with only one solenoid...it is not as efficient or as accurate as using 2 solenoids
I'll help to clear this up...not all controllers allow for it to be done with only a single solenoid
I cannot remember which ones allow single solenoids and which ones have to be 2 solenoids

Ok, let me say sorry for posting this in advance. I thinking of going turbo but no nothing about it. I have a question that I have been trying to answer on my own and just can not find the answer to. Seems that for go knows how long I've been thinking that turbo guys were just able to press a button and add more boost right there on the spot. Now after really leaning about this stuff it is no where near that simple.
If your in a race on the street and you want to run it at 8lbs of boost then turn about and run another race with more boost, how does that work with these controllers?
Do they have the ability to save this in groups kind of like can tunes or something. Or am I looking at this all wrong.
Help me out please

they way it works is like this picture I have attached...

you normally use a spring to allow the wastegate to open to control boost
when you want more boost than the spring will allow, you simply close the gate by putting additional pressure on the top dome of the wastegate...

to do this you need a pressure source...for best results people use co2 with a regulator to knock it down to roughly 40-50 psi above desired boost values
but you can just use the pressure coming from the intake manifold as anything that creates more pressure on top of the spring will keep the wastegate closed..it just wont react as fast or as accurate.

so you have your turbo trying to open the wastegate, and your spring + the secondary pressure keeping it closed
Attached Thumbnails Boost Controllers That Aren't For Street Cars-boost-control-plumbing.png  
Old 12-10-2013, 11:05 PM
8 Second Club

No I meant your post makes a guy think that the ams uses a single solenoid. And that you want two

I dont see how that implies to use a single....
I have said multiple times you want 2 solenoids.. one for fill, and one for vent

and while it can be done with only one solenoid...it is not as efficient or as accurate as using 2 solenoids
I'll help to clear this up...not all controllers allow for it to be done with only a single solenoid
I cannot remember which ones allow single solenoids and which ones have to be 2 solenoids

they way it works is like this picture I have attached...

you normally use a spring to allow the wastegate to open to control boost
when you want more boost than the spring will allow, you simply close the gate by putting additional pressure on the top dome of the wastegate...

to do this you need a pressure source...for best results people use co2 with a regulator to knock it down to roughly 40-50 psi above desired boost values
but you can just use the pressure coming from the intake manifold as anything that creates more pressure on top of the spring will keep the wastegate closed..it just wont react as fast or as accurate.

so you have your turbo trying to open the wastegate, and your spring + the secondary pressure keeping it closed
Old 12-10-2013, 11:06 PM
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by rotary1307cc
No I meant your post makes a guy think that the ams uses a single solenoid. And that you want two

sorry... didnt mean for it to come off that way...

I think the AMS has to have 2 and they dont give an option for a single if I recall correctly...
Old 12-11-2013, 07:13 AM
8 Second Club

Yeah needs 2 from everything that my manual saya
Old 12-11-2013, 07:50 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Help me out please
With the AMS 500 I have. I run 10lbs on the street. If I want to kick it up to my 20lbs I just hit a switch anytime I like. The AMS can be easily adjusted at the box too for high/low boost.
Old 12-11-2013, 08:32 AM
10 Second Club

on the AMS500 if you hook up input 2 to a constant power source will input 1 override it when activated? Like with a transbrake?

Just a little confused on the directions, the schematic with the directions shows both 12v inputs having switches.
Old 12-11-2013, 10:00 AM
8 Second Club

Received 730 Likes on 535 Posts

Help me out please
For the "new to turbos" user running an average street/strip car a $15 pneumatic valve mounted on the dash will control boost great. I can turn mine down to 12lbs for the street and up to 24lbs for the track right from my dash with a simple ****. From what I've seen controlling traction via timing instead of playing with boost control works very well.

Quick Reply: Boost Controllers That Aren't For Street Cars