Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

2012 camaro ss twin s480 turbo build

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2018, 08:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 68 Likes on 55 Posts
Default 2012 camaro ss twin s480 turbo build

Hey everyone,

no offense to the kit turbo 5th gen owners. Probably gonna be a long post for history. My goal is mid to low 9 on 20 inch drag radials. I have owned my camaro since april 2012. Bought it brand new and probably should have bought an older car cause i cant just have a regular car. I installed headers, exhaust and nitrous the second weekend of ownership. By 10,000 miles i had my first rear mount turbo set up and killed the original engine due to not regapping rings i think. I was at full throttle the day after it was tuned and it exploded. Piston 7 disentigrated and the rod whipped through the block. Bye bye l99.

i was shocked when gm didnt warranty it. Lol. So i bought an lsx376 and stuck a turbonetics 78mm benita in the rear with a homemade rear mount set up. Took it to get tuned and it only made 565rwhp. I was like what the hell. Tuned said to drive it for the weekend and he would retine monday. So i left and 2 miles later car went into nuetral and trans said overheated. Called the tuner and he said that it was probably over filled on fluid which it wasnt then offered me my money back like right away. Wierd. Pulled the tune and he had never put the values in for the 2.5 bar map so the pressures where all over the place in the trans. Had the trans done and retuned myself with dyno rental time. 7 trans failures later over the next two years i decided 4l80 swap. No more trans failures. Also went to a front miunt gt45 88mm. Then to a billet s480 t4 96mm turbine. Retuned and it made 770 rwhp on 10 pounds of boost but was out of pump. Daily drove it 150 miles round trip for three months and then nov 2016 i was headed to work saw a lady run a stop sign and i slammed it trying to get out of the way. She hits me in the right rear i spin and hit a block wall. Damn. Insurance said heres a check have it fixed. I made a deal with my bank and fixed most of it myself. So as of today im finally out of paint jail. Not cause i couldnt pay but because the badass body shop i choose cause we were friends did the work so slow.
i have been gathering things to slightly step up the power to reach my goal.

The plan
Lsx block
k1 3.622 crank
manley rods
Wiesco pistons
10.2 to 1 comp
dart pro 1 ported ls3 heads
comp cams shaft rockers (made by t&d machine as i discovered)
tick stage 3 turbo cam (was gonna do a custom but the specs where so similar i choose the off the shelf grind)
holley high ram
210lb bosch injectors
Twin vsracing billet s480 83mm t4 1.10 housing(might change to .90 housing)
E85
Diy pre compressor and pre throttlebody meth injection( 5 gph in each compressor and 2 15gph nozzles before the throttlebody)

tons of other crap im sure along the way but that is the basic set up.
Look at that ***
Hideaway headlight grill

The paint shop. Ignore the 427 emblems plans changed.

Last edited by jordoza; 03-13-2018 at 09:12 AM.
Old 03-10-2018, 08:14 PM
TECH Enthusiast

And yes i build everything in that carport no garage.
Old 03-10-2018, 09:22 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

nice upcoming build. Glad to see you didn't give up on it.
Just a little advice from a fellow twin turbo Camaro (2013 no kit):
those s480's are way overkill for a twin turbo unless it's going to be a dedicated track car.
Unless that K-1 crank is billet, it will start having trouble with one of those turbos, let alone 2. I mean, it's your build so if you want to go that route then don't let me tell you any different but, from my experiences a pair of those S366 would have done you well. I just came from a pair of S369 sxe to my precision 7675's and still had a lot of room to grow on the old turbos.Engine was a 427 ls next iron (dragonslayer crank)… Until I blew it. Now going to a 434 (Magnum CCW).

Good luck on your build!

EDIT!
Forgot to say that the exhaust wheels on those 369's are 73 mm (some say 74) and I was using .81 turbine housings From AGP. no signs of back pressure at 1232WHP.

Actually have a brand-new (never opened) spare compressor in the sales section (shameless plug LOL)

Last edited by SydwayZ; 03-10-2018 at 09:31 PM. Reason: Add info
Old 03-11-2018, 02:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I know i was going to go s475s but the 480s where cheaper and ive read and experienced that the billet wheel 80 spools just as fast as the s475. I am looking at 1500 to 1600hp is my goal. As for exhaust side i have found the borg inducer sizing of exhaust turbines results in the turblne looking huge but they are 83x75 so they are close to the same exhaust side as your turbos just probably a bigger ar.

I get the k1 crank thing but i have run a stock ls3 crank at well over 1000rwhp im sure since 10 pounds was 770rwhp and ive been running it at 18 pounds for over a year. Tore it down and the mains where worn but the crank was fine. In fact i was gonna use it till i found the k1 at my local machine shop from a none paid build they had. It will be running by may i hope so ill probably run it this summer and do a 427 build over the winter if it shows abnormal wear. Im gonna send it and if it ***** it wont be the first engine i kill.

any pics of your set up. Just wanna see how you laid out your turbos. Im gonna be making some big changes to make all this work and wanted to see how you did yours.
Old 03-11-2018, 02:57 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Plus im thinking that the compressors will be very effiecent where im going to be flow wise so that will help with intake temps with no intercooler.
Old 03-11-2018, 03:59 PM
Staging Lane

I understand where you're coming from. K-1 does make some nice parts (at least from my experience). Since you are at stock stroke, if the engine is built well I can see that crankshaft holding up 1100/1200 whp. A lot of people like to go to a forged crankshaft once they start pushing adequate HP numbers, but the stock crankshaft is a pretty strong piece.

this is the only picture I have from the original mockup when building the kit. Those are 6466 units (not mine just used for mockup purposes).The 74 mm turbine wheels are not that much bigger… Used all vband flanges including 3 inch down pipes. I might go up to 3.5" if I start having back pressure.

I can take some more pictures once my car is back from the shop.
Attached Thumbnails 2012 camaro ss twin s480 turbo build-15747427_10207637065310191_4572363744148543586_n-2.jpg  
Old 03-11-2018, 04:05 PM
Staging Lane

On a side note, I was at 9:1 compression so your 10.2:1 will probably help with the spool. Let me know how your setup turns out. New engine will be 9.6:1.

Found one more mockup picture of the undercarriage.
Attached Thumbnails 2012 camaro ss twin s480 turbo build-15747485_10207637066350217_6949751966063944544_n.jpg  
Old 03-11-2018, 04:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Im gonna move the radiator either flat in front or remove the spare tire/battery well and run a rear radiator. Run both turbos pointed forward right behind the grill. Diy dual mode exhaust. Either dual 4 inch dumps out the front bumper/fender or valves closed for low boost and dual 3 inch out the back. Ive been running the high ram since 2013 how the hell did you keep the passengers wiper i just ditched it. Put the fuse box in the glovebox and the abs unit is in the process of being moved to the passenger fender well behind the tire.

as for spool i am making a diy spool valve set up to help with that. Gonna use a 2 inch loud valve to block off the rear port on the t4 till 4 psi full open by 10 psi. Gonna use a spare output on my ms3x im using for boost control to control a pwm solenoid set up and co2 to open it. I got alot of wierd ideas but i think they will work well. I love fabricating crap. If the spool valve gives me problems i will just remove the set up and buy some .90 housing.

my car is really more race then street but all my hot rods have been that way. I just wanna max out 20 inch drag radials. I think they can do more then people give em credit for they just buy the 18 or smaller set up cause its easier. Nobody gives anyone with 20 inch drag radials credit for being fast. I do alot of racing late at night in "mexico" so it will kind of be a sleeper. Everyones gonna ohh and aww the engine but then they will see the rear tires and take whatever race i suggest cause "he will never hook up". Boost by gear/speed makes that happen. Lol

Last edited by jordoza; 03-11-2018 at 05:15 PM.
Old 03-11-2018, 05:01 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Here are my itty bitty turbos.
My soon to be spool valves.
Old 03-11-2018, 05:14 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Nice looking set up sidewayz. What suspension you running to make that work?
Old 03-11-2018, 05:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I apologize for my awful spelling im a two finger chicken pecker typer. Yes i just called myself chicken genitalia if you read that in a certian way. I often go back and read what i wrote and think everyone probably thinks im a moron with all the misspelled words. I know im bright cause my daddy called me sun so there. Lol
Old 03-11-2018, 05:24 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 526 Likes on 356 Posts

spelling doesn't count on the internet, only on resumes.

grammar always counts and you seem to have solid grasp of that.
Old 03-11-2018, 05:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Dont make fun of my grandma like that doug. Lol

thank you
Old 03-11-2018, 09:01 PM
TECH Enthusiast

My secondary fuel pump sump
Doesnt hang below the subrame connector.
I decided to modify my gas tank today to add a secondary magnafuel 4303 so i used an old 38mm wategate top and sandwiched the tank between the two halfs and used marine fuel tank sealer to seal the sump. We do it at work for diesel tanks all the time. Welded in a -12 aluminium bumg and reinstalled the tank.
Old 03-11-2018, 10:10 PM
Staging Lane

As I said earlier, the car in the pitcher was a shop car used to fabricate the hotside, and a majority of the cold side. I realized that I didn't want to sacrifice my passenger side wiper so I opted for a sheet-metal intake (picture below).

As far as the radiator, there is no need to do a rear mount set up. Plenty enough room in the front. Are you going A2A or A2W? I stuck with a 6 inch thick bell intercooler upfront. Had to go to a tubular front bumper support bar.

I'm on a dominator ECU using boost by time when under 15 mph. And wide open when above that speed.

Dual 3 inch to quad 5 inch out the rear on my car.
Attached Thumbnails 2012 camaro ss twin s480 turbo build-img_0362.jpg   2012 camaro ss twin s480 turbo build-img_0361.jpg  
Old 03-11-2018, 10:44 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Mid to low 9 on 20” dr’s is gonna be tough... not enough sidewalk to hook serious power, and in a heavy weight fifth gen, you will need atleast 950-1000rwhp to get there with good tires. I say build it for the power you want and get cereal tire behind it.

Did the tuner who f’d up also tune your car the first time (when you blew the motor)?
Old 03-12-2018, 09:16 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Sidewayz- im sorry i thought it was just the turbos you were only using for mock up. That is a badass sheetmetal intake. Im not going to run any intercooler beside pre compressor and post compressor meth. I dont think its needed with e85. I tune my friends car and he runs big power with e85 no intercooler with no problems.

realquick- i get you about the drag radials and if i dont run my number with them it is more of an experiment anyway. I have run out of time and cash at the moment to go big tire like i want. That will probably happen at the end of my trials with the drag radials. Ill go no traction to big tire. Lol. Im not spending another summer with no fast car fun.

as for the tuner thing im gonna explain but it might seem long winded. I have tuned my own junk forever with megasquirt. I was in that from the megasquirt 1 lol. Anyway since i had a brand new car and i didnt have experience with the gm control system i took it to a professional tuner about 3 hrs from me on the recommendation of a known turbo kit manufacturer. It kinda went hey do you guys do tuning? Nope but we use "bob" he is the best. So i went to him. Well i towed it to him on friday and he got "sick" so i waited and he kept it and we were gonna do dyno runs monday. He calls sunday and he had tuned it for me on saturday night cause he got to feeling better. Sorry he didnt call me since i wanted to be there when he was making dyno runs. He did have dyno sheets though. So 650rwhp seemed about right. Towed it home and drove to work monday. On the way to work the wife wasnt with me hehe and i was like im gonna try it out. Few second later bam smoke engine dies. Damn. Find a half of a piston on the road. Cold sweat bad day. Tune was locked so that little spat of bad luck will never be directly answered. It could have been timing, fuel, piston ring butting. Honestly when its thay blown up and no log file its hard to say what happened.

trans failure tune was done by a tuner an hour away in texas. The tuner even teaches tuning at the local wyotech type university so i thought this guy knows his ****. Yeah right.

So now i have hptuners. I tune my car and not one failure since. There were the trans failures but i had to use there tune with the 1200hp capable trans they built to keep the warranty. It was more like 700hp capable if i turned it down it would live turn it to high boost and three runs it was slipping and burnt. I hate the 6l80. 4l80 FTW.

Last edited by jordoza; 03-12-2018 at 09:25 AM.
Old 03-12-2018, 09:23 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Ok so after i took the pictures of my soon to be spool valve i started playing with it and it doesnt work off boost pressure it works off vacuum. Thats what i get for buying **** on ebay. Anyway i have a stand alone vacuum pump that runs my brakes and i might tap into that and pwm the solenoid to operate that or maybe ill modify this to work with some internal wastegate actuators. The fun of a plan going off the tracks.
Old 03-12-2018, 10:13 AM
TECH Resident

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

There are two different cutouts on ebay: one that works on vacuum and the other on boost. There was another member on here recently that swapped his to operate from vacuum to boost reference.
Old 03-12-2018, 04:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Mocking up parts to join the compressor discharges together. Probably mount the bovs on the aluminium 90s.

Quick Reply: 2012 camaro ss twin s480 turbo build