Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

SOM LAG Project: 394ci, 25.3, Twin PT7675 Gen 2's, PG, E85, 7-second Street Car

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2021, 10:23 AM
TECH Resident

Received 69 Likes on 40 Posts

The following are the timeslips from Rock Falls last weekend. This first timeslip is the same pass that is above in the Youtube Video. This was the first clean hit of 2021 and it was a personal best.

And this was the following pass and was able to back up the first pass:

Can't wait to get on a good surface and launch harder and bring boost in faster! Everything was soft due to being at Rock Falls.

Borrowed the scales and had to see what the raceweight was from Rock Falls:

Was planning to head to the Street Car Takeover event at I29 this weekend but it was pushed back two weekends (June 5-6) due to the forecast.

Planning to head to River Redemption at Cordova to run the Street Car class on Memorial Day weekend.

The following 3 users liked this post by Only ERO's:
3 window (05-17-2021), spray280 (05-17-2021), The BallSS (05-17-2021)
Old 05-17-2021, 11:36 AM
TECH Addict

Received 186 Likes on 136 Posts

That thing picks up 35-40 mph on the back end, you better hang on!
Old 05-17-2021, 11:42 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 3 window
That thing picks up 35-40 mph on the back end, you better hang on!
I won't be able to with the 3.89 gear. I was going through the traps at 8350. But.....I still have my spare third member with a 3.50 gear.
Old 06-11-2021, 10:29 PM
TECH Resident

I'm back, and almost a month later.

Took the first trip down to Cordova Raceway for 2021 on 5/28 and 5/29. We hit the road on Friday morning hoping to Test on Friday night, but ended up getting rained out.

We entered the Central Illinois Street Car Shootout's Real Street class as part of the River Redemption series. We were scheduled for 2 test hits during the day prior to eliminations. Boy, we needed those and more. We had an aggressive tuneup in the car for test hit one and annihilated the tires. We detuned the car on test hit two but it still wasn't enough and struck the tires. This didn't sit well going into eliminations.

I extremely softened up the hit just to get the car down track and hopes that my horsepower would run my opponent down. It only went 1.50 to the 60', but didn't spin and I started bringing the power in hard. However, we had a mechanical issue around 2.4 seconds into the run ending our weekend. We will be back and ready for another time at Cordova.

Note: The overnight low temperatures and quantity of rain did no favors for the track. The prep wasn't the standard Cordova prep and the track crew did the best they could given Mother Nature. It was a huge surprise as it was usually the best we get to experience around here. Already looking forward to visiting there in the near future.

The following 2 users liked this post by Only ERO's:
spray280 (07-23-2021), The BallSS (06-15-2021)
Old 06-11-2021, 10:35 PM
TECH Resident

We were able to get the car put back together. We also decided to put real glass back in the car in order to participate in a couple events due to the rules. So back came this fella from the warehouse:

The first outing we needed the glass for was the Street Car Takeover's Kickoff Party event. I was planning to run the Street Racer class and needed the rear glass for that. We traveled to I29 Dragway and arrived Friday evening for some much-needed testing at the track. And that proved even more after knocking the tires off the first three test hits on Friday night. Finally, we were able to adjust some settings and pull enough power to get a baseline and get down the track. From there, we got faster on passes 5, and 6. Pass 7, we had an even faster 60' but aborted the pass as the car was going right. We ended the night with a new I29 Personal Best.

Saturday night was the kickoff to the actual event. We were allowed one test pass, and then one round of eliminations on Saturday night. We made a clean test pass and were ready for Round 1 against SCT founder Justin Keith. We ended up knocking the tirest off but was able to recover fast enough and rely on some HP to get the win.

This took us into Round 2 on Sunday. The track was better on Sunday, but I still didn't feel comfortable putting power in early. And it ended up getting us. I raced Tom Dixon and he got out on my and I didn't have enough time to run him down. I was coming in a hurry and had some decent MPH out the back. We gained a ton of experience at I29 and have some great data and baselines for future events there. Even though it was only one round win, we took a huge step forward for future events.

No racing this weekend but should be back out next weekend.
spray280 (07-23-2021), The BallSS (06-15-2021), wretched73 (06-22-2021)
Old 06-21-2021, 08:40 PM
TECH Resident

Ran down to Cordova Raceway this past weekend to do some testing on Friday night prior to the Central Illinois Street Car Shootout during Cordova's River Redemption Series. We made 5 hits Friday night but the car just seemed to be really lazy on making boost. I spent Friday night reviewing logs and touching base with my tuning buddy for some feedback. Ultimately, everything pointed at something Mechanically wrong.

Saturday morning, we dug into the engine bay and found a weld that broke on the exhaust merge for the wastegate. I put a message on FB and also had the track make an announcement looking for help. A fellow racer in the same class came calling. They had somebody that could pick up the pipe exhaust and get it welded. He drove from about an hour away, picked up our damaged pipe, drove home, welded it, and back to the track. We scrambled and put the car back together to sneak in one test pass (forgot to hook up one boost line) prior to eliminations.

From there we got into first round and everything worked like it should and the car went right down Broadway! In the second round, we had =AZW5cEAPnGYafM2PEiskL_PWnrnigRhNhKpLrTi9aBq-B33phCle69emG6OaFrox8bcAsRPIEqKBUFXQxZHRwtM71YzxBr SA1VBFcH43Z2AhZzueOtCJ_nINu3JuFo3V-S5Z-I2VWbugYWw0rKb-jfsy&__tn__=-]K-R]Dustin Greenhow and his baaad Camaro. I wish I had footage of the race and even some at the finish line. I have no idea how close it was, somewhere between a bumper and no more than a fender. I was trying to reel him in, but just didn't have enough track to do so. It was by far the best drag race and closest one I have been in.

It is amazing the racing family that is out there and the willingness to help other competitor's out. It sure makes traveling to these tracks much easier. We always try to take as much with us as possible, but you can't possibly take everything. I couldn't thank the three of them enough all weekend for going out of their way, taking some of their time and helping us out. Truly amazing!! I owe you all one!

Might run at Rock Falls this weekend, otherwise I believe we will be off for a few weeks until the next CISCS race at Havana, IL on July 17th.
spray280 (07-23-2021), The BallSS (06-23-2021), wretched73 (06-22-2021)
Old 06-23-2021, 08:38 AM
TECH Regular

Received 73 Likes on 62 Posts

Solid updates! Are you going to try the road course no prep in July at I29?
Old 06-23-2021, 08:48 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by blackdak318
Solid updates! Are you going to try the road course no prep in July at I29?
I am not planning to right now, but haven't ruled it out yet.

I am planning to go to the Central IL Streetcar Shootout at Central IL Dragway on July 17. And August is looking like a busy month. Will have to see as the time gets closer.
Old 06-23-2021, 03:08 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Only ERO's
I am not planning to right now, but haven't ruled it out yet.

I am planning to go to the Central IL Streetcar Shootout at Central IL Dragway on July 17. And August is looking like a busy month. Will have to see as the time gets closer.
I don't blame you. Really difficult surface to get down and some stiff competition.
Old 06-23-2021, 03:21 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by blackdak318
I don't blame you. Really difficult surface to get down and some stiff competition.
Yeah, long way to go for potentially 1-2 hits and a junk surface. Not a fan.

I am too much of a hobbyist for that. I am not going to travel 6 hours each way very often for that.
Old 07-22-2021, 08:17 PM
TECH Resident

We traveled to Illinois to do some racing this past weekend. We were headed to Central Illinois Dragway on Friday to do some testing for Saturday's Central Illinois Street Car Shootout guaranteed $4000 to win money race. The weather wasn't favorable throughout the week and they ended up canceling the test session. A couple of quick searches showed that Cordova had a test session and was going to be open Friday evening. We took a detour and went to Cordova.

The track was in good condition and we decided to throw a moderate tuneup at it for our first pass. The car went right down and we were glad to be back in the 4's: 4.93@152 with a 1.28 60'. We figured that was a good baseline and decided to get more aggressive from there. However, everything fought us from there. We knocked the tires off the next three passes and even had to be pulled off at one point. We were able to address all the issues and get back on the track for one final hit. We were able to get down but with nothing special (low 5's). We packed up and headed south towards Central IL Dragway.

Saturday, we arrived at Central IL Dragway. The track was in killer condition and we used Friday's Cordova pass as a baseline with some up arrows involved from there. We were the very first car down the track for Test Hit #1 and the pass showed we were ready for battle. I wouldn't say straight down Broadway, but it did make a lick!

We made one more test pass but ended up hitting a safety due to fuel pressure that slightly dropped which spiked injector duty cycle. It was still a solid lick despite it reverting to wastegate slightly before the 3 second mark. Ended up being a 4.91@141 with a 1.18 60'. We addressed that issue and decided to skip the third test pass and take our tuneup into Eliminations.

We turned the wick up a little more for Round #1 and it went right down as well. I was feeling pretty good.

However, as with racing, things happen. Round #2 the car didn't bump in. I got in but was mostly rattled and just tried to drive the car out but ran out of real estate. Couldn't run him down, but was glad I didn't as I hurt something in the engine. There was a knock in the engine following that Round #2 of Eliminations. We were pretty bummed with the Mechanical issues as we felt we had the car to beat and were consistent the entire day.

Video:

We pulled the valve covers on Sunday when we got home hoping to just see something broke in the valvetrain. We weren't so lucky.

Monday night, we dug in a little further. We pulled the oil pan and saw at least one rod that looked like a noodle.

We started to pull everything to remove the engine. Dropped the engine off today at the engine shop and stopped by after work. Ended up having three bent rods and two damaged pistons.

I was able to find a set of rods and got those on order Tuesday morning. Those arrive just two days later (today):

The engine builder already has the head gaskets ordered and also a call-in on replacement pistons. We know of the long lead times this year and will see how long those take.

The damage is a bummer, but I feel extremely fortunate that is all that happened. More often than not, oil pans, blocks, crankshafts, etc are gone when this occurs. I feel very lucky.

Started to see some consistency and fast passes this weekend, until we ran into mechanical issues. We will be back out and ready for racing another day.
The following 2 users liked this post by Only ERO's:
spray280 (07-23-2021), wretched73 (07-23-2021)
Old 07-22-2021, 11:06 PM
TECH Resident

Received 110 Likes on 86 Posts

Some nice runs again for sure. Are those the standard speedway rods ? I thought they made one more that was heavier. Have you been able to diagnose the cause yet, possibly the lack of fuel ?

Last edited by gjohnsonws6; 07-22-2021 at 11:12 PM.
Old 07-25-2021, 03:53 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by gjohnsonws6
Some nice runs again for sure. Are those the standard speedway rods ? I thought they made one more that was heavier. Have you been able to diagnose the cause yet, possibly the lack of fuel ?
They are the Speedway Series from Oliver. I haven't seen anything in their line higher than these. I am just glad I had a quality set in there bending instead of dismantling!

Not 100% sure yet. I have been discussing it with @rotary1307cc and reviewing some logs. He has noticed a couple of times on his car that there appears to be a corrupt file. We almost wonder if that is what happened on mine.

Things Found in the Log:
1. My bump signal appeared (as I mentioned the bump did not work). It only went to 2.4V instead of the normal range above 12V.
2. The RPM Trace was a little Rocky for about 0.20 seconds. This is also the same timing as my Voltage dropping from 13.8V to 13.2V. I pedaled the car just after this. I am sure based on feel on the track. Also during this period, there was 5 small signals on the TPS ROC even though the TPS was flatlined at 100%.
3. The same RPM area from item #2, there was some small spikes in the AFR. These might be lean spikes, caused by misfire? I was targeting 11.2 and these three spikes were 12.2, 12.4, and 12.5.
4. I had my shift point set at 8200, but it didn't shift right away. It tickled 8500 and that was the same point I pedaled.
5. High gear, the battery voltage drops from 13.7V down to 12.8. It tails off.

At this point, I am not 100% sure.
Old 07-25-2021, 08:25 PM
TECH Resident

What alternator are you running and what rpm is it getting to ? I’m thinking this is electrical related, wouldn’t hurt to do a wiggle test and check all connections after you get it back up and running. I can’t remember, how do you have the coils wired up ?
Old 07-26-2021, 12:27 PM
TECH Regular

Received 86 Likes on 67 Posts

Damn! That sucks.
Looks like too much timing to me.
Old 08-02-2021, 12:29 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by gjohnsonws6
What alternator are you running and what rpm is it getting to ? I’m thinking this is electrical related, wouldn’t hurt to do a wiggle test and check all connections after you get it back up and running. I can’t remember, how do you have the coils wired up ?
I agree with you. I have a feeling it is something electrically related that lead to misfire.

Alternator is a GM Truck 145A Alternator. We have an aftermarket 3" pulley on it. The car hit 8500 during that last pass which would have been 21,335RPM on the alternator. During the downtime, I called Mechman and ordered a 250A Elite Series from them. Should receive prior to the engine being back together. Have wanted won for a while and figure this is the proper time.

I have the Holley Big Wire Harness for the coils. Each bank has an individual ground on its cylinder head (one each side). It also each has a ground going back to the battery. The coils are powered through a 75A relay. The output of the relay is split to 2#10 wires running to the big wire harness.

Will be giving the rest of the Electrical system a look over. I am also going to switch back to Holley V5 Build 110 as well. Seems like people have the least amount of issues with that compared to 140 or 171.

Originally Posted by badass68
Damn! That sucks.
Looks like too much timing to me.
We will be revisiting that when we get it put back together. Will look to have another dyno session and see what timing levels on different boost levels. We had done this through the mid 30's PSI range but didn't get up to the 40's. I would have to look at the tune but I know it is a couple degrees lower 42PSI compared to 35PSI.
Old 08-02-2021, 08:16 PM
TECH Resident

21k, ouch that is way over for a truck alternator. They set me up with a 170 amp unit since it’s cable drive and don’t have to worry about an electric pump. Stock diameter balancer and 2.9 alternator pulley it will reliably make power all the way to 8,200. It actually put out 180 amps as tested. Curious why you went so high on amps ?
Old 08-17-2021, 06:12 PM
TECH Resident

Gauging Interest

Considering putting my Trans Am up for sale. Wondering what is a good asking price. Looking at either Turn Key or as a Roller (no engine, no transmission, no power adders, no electronics, no fuel system) or anything in between

2001 Trans Am WS6 car – Sunset Orange Metallic (SOM) in color

Setup for a LS with Powerglide or Shorty TH400.

25.3 cage – still certed through early 2022

All Stock Suspension mounting points

Midwest chassis Fab 9” – Factory Width, 35 spline axles, spool with HD pro Aluminum case, 3.89 gear

Midwest Chassis (MWC) Torque Arm, LCA, Panhard Bar, K-member, Upper and Lower A-arms, Manual steering rack, manual brakes, parachute mount with Stroud Chute

Menscer Motorsports DA Shocks Front and Rear

Strange drag brakes front and rear

Manual brakes

Light weight steering column and Grant removable wheel

Rock Solid Motorsports tube Front end

Griffin radiator and dual fans with stroud in back of car.

2 Jegs seats (Kirkey Knockoffs)

Dmh carbon door panels

Glasstek fiberglass dash

Joe Van O Carbon Liftoff hood

Kostick Carbon wing

Factory glass throughout car and have Optic armor front and rear Lexan (both are scratched)

Carbon roof skin

15” Weld RTS wheels on all 4 corners

PST Carbon Driveshaft

Engine

394ci (4.09x3.75) LSX Block engine, about 10:1 compression

Winberg Crankshaft, Diamond 2K Pistons, oliver rods

Brodix BR1 Cathedral Heads

Moroso Oil Pan

Full proof performance cam

.685 spring kit, 3/8” Diameter pushrods, Johnson 2126LSR lifters, BTR Shaft Rocker Kit

417 Motorsports Billet intake and sheetmetal lid

Holley 95mm Throttle Body

ATI Balancer with pulley for Fuel System

Transmission

Rossler 2-speed 400 Turboglide XHD, 1.57 low gear, EZ Spool Valve, Converter Dump valve, 1-2 Accumulator, short length to match powerglide

Derale hyper cool extreme cooler

M&M Shifter

Greg Slack Converter

Circle D LS Billet Flexplate

Power Adder

Twin Precision PT7675 Gen 2 Turbos

(2) 46mm Precision Wastegates

(2) Chinese BOV’s

Custom A/A intercooler with two 3” thick Garrett cores

Coated and vbanded truck manifolds to 2.5” equal length hot side

3.5” alum cold side all Alphaloc connectors

Dual solenoid boost control with onboard Air (Viair Compressor)

Dual 3.5” downpipes (Fender Exit)

Electronics

Holley Dominator

Holley 7” Touch Screen

Holley EGT Canbus connector

Leash Electronics Street/Strip Board

(2) Racewire Solutions Switch Panels

XS Power Lightweight Battery

Additional Sensors: Individual Cylinder EGT, Left and Right Backpressure, 4 shock sensors, Line and converter pressure, Transmission temp, Pre intercooler Pressure and Air temperature, coolant pressure, Pan Vac, Front Wheel Speed, Ethanol Content, Fuel level

Fuel System

Siemens Deka 220lb injectors

Aei cable drive pulley and cable to pump with post filter

Waterman Mini Bertha Pump (10GPM)

Nasty Performance F-body sumped fuel tank (uses factory fill) and installed in factory location

Aeromotive regulator

Hood is scratched from and encounter with a fence at the end of the racetrack. Minor scratching in the roof. Other areas could use body work but overall in good condition (It’s a street driven race car)

Car has made over 1700hp to the tire and runs on E85 from the pump

Fastest 1/8 mile is 4.77@153. Been 156mph to the 1/8.

Weighs about 3150 without driver
Old 08-18-2021, 11:35 AM
TECH Addict

Received 528 Likes on 409 Posts

That's a bummer man, I've enjoyed following the progression and results on your build.
Are you getting out of racing, burned out, or getting a different platform to go faster?
Old 08-19-2021, 09:18 AM
TECH Regular

It's a very solid car for sure. Basically has everything someone looking for a car like that would want. I don't think 45k would be too far off. Maybe +/- 5k either way? I'll give you 30k for it right now

Quick Reply: SOM LAG Project: 394ci, 25.3, Twin PT7675 Gen 2's, PG, E85, 7-second Street Car