Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Twin Turbo LSX Datsun 280Z

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2015, 08:57 AM
8 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by adventr
Understandable. I spent WAY too much time debating on transmission choice for my build. Was dead set on a 4L80e, then I was going to go powerglide, and then I decided that I just wanted to build a highway monster so I drove 10hrs to pick up a T56. Lol I've pretty much given up on being able to race at the strip (or at least launch hard), so we'll see how long the rear end lasts with roll racing. Good thing is that Will (who makes that 8.8 swap setup) lives about 15min from me.... Oh, and PM me if you decide to sell that clutch separately from your trans. I'm not sure that the Stg2 that came with my trans is going to hold up to my power level.
Yup, I actually spoke with will the other day about the swap kit, Nice dude. On the street your rear end will last forever. On the strip it's a matter of time. Pick which one is more important to you and go with it. At the moment I have a buyer for the whole package so if it falls through I will let you know.
Old 02-19-2015, 08:59 AM
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by rotary1307cc
Auto gets down on the highway
That's the word. I'm hoping to see some 8second passes in the near future though.
Old 02-19-2015, 09:00 AM
8 Second Club

Received 746 Likes on 547 Posts

Are axles expensive? I don’t know if I’d give up on the manual after one axle. Have you looked into the DIY slipper clutch setups? Buddy runs something very similar on his Tremec and loves it. Runs a sintered iron single disc around 600ftlb in a 3600+lb wagon. Sounds like a loose converter auto off the line. Did twist an axle or two the first year, but has been going strong for 2 years now after he ironed out the launch. Consistent as hell once dialed in too. Getting dialed in may take an axle or two, but once you have the setup down, you may be fine.

http://grannys.tripod.com/clutchtamerdiy.html

There’s a fine art to getting a manual drag launch down without destroying parts. (as I’m sure you know… )

Do you load up the suspension with the E-brake first? What is your “launch procedure”? Can’t imagine you’d need much more than a 1.4x-1.5x 60’ to get into the 8’s with your setup.

Do you have many tall gear choices with that rear setup? Can you get something like a 3.25 or 3.50 gear in it?
Old 02-19-2015, 09:08 AM
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by Forcefed86
Are axles expensive? I don’t know if I’d give up on the manual after one axle. Have you looked into the DIY slipper clutch setups? Buddy runs something very similar on his Tremec and loves it. Runs a sintered iron single disc around 600ftlb in a 3600+lb wagon. Sounds like a loose converter auto off the line. Did twist an axle or two the first year, but has been going strong for 2 years now after he ironed out the launch. Consistent as hell once dialed in too. Getting dialed in may take an axle or two, but once you have the setup down, you may be fine. http://grannys.tripod.com/clutchtamerdiy.html There’s a fine art to getting a manual drag launch down without destroying parts. (as I’m sure you know… ) Do you load up the suspension with the E-brake first? What is your “launch procedure”? Can’t imagine you’d need much more than a 1.4x-1.5x 60’ to get into the 8’s with your setup. Do you have many tall gear choices with that rear setup? Can you get something like a 3.25 or 3.50 gear in it?
Outer Stub axles are $1400 inners don't exist. Gear choices are slim to none but the cars has a 3:54 in it right now. My Ebrake doesn't work and I have done nothing in the way of preloading. I suppose I could do a bit more research of proper launch techniques and or slipper setups. Right now I'm trying like hell to slip the clutch of the line but these tires stick like glue and it almost always ends up in a clutch dump.
Old 02-19-2015, 09:10 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't think you'll regret putting an automatic in. I really like the 4l80 for daily driving and at the track they really shine compared to the manual. I just sold mine and had a stronger one built for the new engine. Compared to a 47RH, it was dirt cheap.
Old 02-19-2015, 09:12 AM
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by RonA
I don't think you'll regret putting an automatic in. I really like the 4l80 for daily driving and at the track they really shine compared to the manual. I just sold mine and had a stronger one built for the new engine. Compared to a 47RH, it was dirt cheap.
It really kills me to ditch the manual. It was a key point in building this car. I wanted to dominate 6spd classes. I think I underestimated how difficult it really is to get a manual to work on the track.
Old 02-19-2015, 09:19 AM
8 Second Club

@FF86

That clutch slipper idea is awesome.. I wonder how much shock that removes from the equation.
Old 02-19-2015, 09:24 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If I am forced to change to a 2jz, I will swap to a 6 speed. With an LS at twice the displacement the auto makes more sense. I don't deny that with a manual you drive the car and with an auto you steer the car.
Old 02-19-2015, 09:37 AM
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by oscs
@FF86

That clutch slipper idea is awesome.. I wonder how much shock that removes from the equation.
Wow, $1400 seems outrageous for an axle! (any pics of those bad boys?) Though I guess you’re stuck paying that either way. Loading up the suspension and setting a 2-step up around 2k, then setting the slip to 3500 or so should be pretty easy on the drive train. I’m an auto guy... but it seems like a lot of reverse engineering to go back to auto from where you are now.

What kind of RPM were you launching at? Somethings gotta slip initially. If the tires aren't and the clutch isn't somethings gonna break!

Last edited by Forcefed86; 02-19-2015 at 09:42 AM.
Old 02-19-2015, 10:23 AM
8 Second Club

Wow, $1400 seems outrageous for an axle! (any pics of those bad boys?) Though I guess you’re stuck paying that either way. Loading up the suspension and setting a 2-step up around 2k, then setting the slip to 3500 or so should be pretty easy on the drive train. I’m an auto guy... but it seems like a lot of reverse engineering to go back to auto from where you are now.

What kind of RPM were you launching at? Somethings gotta slip initially. If the tires aren't and the clutch isn't somethings gonna break!

$1400 total is outrageous! the axles are actually $830 but I also need the 39 spline adapters.. Another $530. There are a few guys on stock stub axles making some good times but they are all auto.

http://www.whiteheadperformance.com/...les-39-spline/

Leaving at 3K with some properly heated 315 NT05r tires.. I tried to slip that clutch but it just didnt happen. A friend of mine will have two spare Stub axles i can have for free sometime next week.. I could possibly hold off on selling the trans for now and possibly try the slipper idea. The buyer is in no rush so..

Now you got me thinking in another way.. Could i not use the line lock (not yet installed) to keep the front tires pinned, allowing me to actually load up the clutch? combined with a slipper would that not take a massive amount of shock out of the equation?

Last edited by oscs; 02-19-2015 at 10:44 AM.
Old 02-19-2015, 11:15 AM
TECH Resident

Received 79 Likes on 68 Posts

It's just going to be a lot safer with a bias ply rear tire. You have a RXT right?
Old 02-19-2015, 11:32 AM
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by slowride
It's just going to be a lot safer with a bias ply rear tire. You have a RXT right?
Yes, Ive been debating on soft vs. stiff wall also. I like the wrinkle idea obsorbing shock. Im not sure how much of a difference there is between a radial and stiff wall bias ply
Old 02-19-2015, 11:35 AM
8 Second Club

$1400 total is outrageous! the axles are actually $830 but I also need the 39 spline adapters.. Another $530. There are a few guys on stock stub axles making some good times but they are all auto.

http://www.whiteheadperformance.com/...les-39-spline/

Leaving at 3K with some properly heated 315 NT05r tires.. I tried to slip that clutch but it just didnt happen. A friend of mine will have two spare Stub axles i can have for free sometime next week.. I could possibly hold off on selling the trans for now and possibly try the slipper idea. The buyer is in no rush so..

Now you got me thinking in another way.. Could i not use the line lock (not yet installed) to keep the front tires pinned, allowing me to actually load up the clutch? combined with a slipper would that not take a massive amount of shock out of the equation?
Can't really load up the clutch... without overheating it and wearing it out fast. Shouldn't need to either.

I would defiantly get a good Ebrake installed. Great example of launch technique with Ebrake. Factory axles all around on this car.

Old 02-19-2015, 11:46 AM
8 Second Club

Can't really load up the clutch... without overheating it and wearing it out fast. Shouldn't need to either.

I would defiantly get a good Ebrake installed. Great example of launch technique with Ebrake. Factory axles all around on this car.

DSM Eclipse GSX 9.65@148mph incar - YouTube
Looks like he actually started slipping the clutch before he actually left.. smart idea. I bet that takes some practice.
Old 02-19-2015, 12:35 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If your chasing ET an auto is the only thing that really makes sense without destroying parts every weekend. Plus, your wife can drive it now hahaha. Man you preached a ton about t56's, glad to see your moving to the dark side!
Old 02-19-2015, 12:47 PM
Daz
TECH Apprentice

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I wonder what the S13/14/15 LS swapped cars are running ! I don't really hear about them breaking axles, especially since they have welded diffs. But they do have drift tires so that may it !

I swapping over to a S13 rear subframe myself. More diff/brake/axle options.
Old 02-19-2015, 12:51 PM
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by 66Chevellelq4
If your chasing ET an auto is the only thing that really makes sense without destroying parts every weekend. Plus, your wife can drive it now hahaha. Man you preached a ton about t56's, glad to see your moving to the dark side!
My wife wouldn't touch that car with a 10ft pole. Yea I know I feel like such a hypocrite! Nothing is set in stone though! Not yet anyways.
Old 02-19-2015, 01:04 PM
Daz
TECH Apprentice

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

My wife wouldn't touch that car with a 10ft pole. Yea I know I feel like such a hypocrite! Nothing is set in stone though! Not yet anyways.
My wife would ! She already have plans to drive mine when I'm done even though I told it it will more hp/torque than she has ever felt(not counting a plane taking off though similar).
Old 02-19-2015, 04:33 PM
8 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had two 10sec 6sp cars and went on about how I wouldnt switch. Then I blew up a rear, axles, and 3x trans in one season.

Love my glide now

BUT I did put a 6sp in that 69maro i built for some street fun this season. Wish me luck
Old 02-19-2015, 04:50 PM
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by ablakez28
I had two 10sec 6sp cars and went on about how I wouldnt switch. Then I blew up a rear, axles, and 3x trans in one season. Love my glide now BUT I did put a 6sp in that 69maro i built for some street fun this season. Wish me luck
Yep.. Hard to turn away from them. I told the buyer to hold off for now. I ordered my stiff wall ET drags and have some new axles on the way. We will see if she can hold up a little longer (proper launch)

Quick Reply: Twin Turbo LSX Datsun 280Z