Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

89 RS turdgen JY 5.3 WE HAVE BOOST (tuning in progress)

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2014, 12:04 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does that fit with the stock hood? thats EXACTLY what iv been planning to do to my car, but I need to get my corvette back together before taking the 3rdgen apart.
Old 02-19-2014, 07:38 AM
On The Tree

Awesome pictures, those manifolds actually dont look bad at all, cut the flanges and weld some vbands to it and there should be all kinds of room.. thanks for putting those up, everyone always says that they will go straight out the hood but honestly they dont look bad at all.

I was planning to put the turbo either where the battery is on passenger side, or on the drivers side where all the crusie control and vapor canister stuff is. i like the battery box idea more but thats more work.
Old 02-19-2014, 07:49 AM
On The Tree

Got the trans from a buddy couple weeks ago, TH400, figured it was a good time to get it out of the back of the old ladys tahoe and tear it down, got the garage all cleaned up and organized after tearing the wall down... that extra 8 feet makes a HUGE difference in acutally being able to work in there now..

Here are a few pics of the tear down, poor attempt at making a trans rebuild table didnt realize the the whole trans was still full of fluid so it dumped all over when I stood it up lol oh well.. this trans had the brake drum parking brake on the tailshaft so thats getting swapped out. Going to get a transgo kit and maybe some upgraded hard parts, not wanting to sink a bunch of money into it. Will get the internals out tonight hopefully and will likelly just keep the case empty for mockup but may just go ahead and order the parts for it now.

Still waiting for the Kmember was supposed to ship out yesterday but due to bad weather in PA will be shipped out thursday now.

Old 02-19-2014, 08:54 AM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I like using a 5 gal bucket with an old flexplate on top when I tear apart or build a trans, catches most of the fluid. I'd still drain it first though.
Old 02-19-2014, 01:34 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by WS6HUMMER
I like using a 5 gal bucket with an old flexplate on top when I tear apart or build a trans, catches most of the fluid. I'd still drain it first though.
flex plate is a good idea, i have a 5 gal bucket under the table which has a 2.5-3 inch hole in it also, and usually i would have drained the fluid lol i thought the thing was already empty didnt even think to check it really

Anyways does anyone have a parts list of things to upgrade on the TH400, a buddy is helping me put one together im just trying to see if anyone offers an "upgrade kit" I was looking on Jakes website but says does not sell to customers anymore so looking for alternatives I guess. was looking at the "Monster in a box" but not sure if this is going to be everything I need. By no means an expert in transmissions usually just get lucky putting them back together after ripping them apart.
Old 02-19-2014, 03:51 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by I-H8-RICE
flex plate is a good idea, i have a 5 gal bucket under the table which has a 2.5-3 inch hole in it also, and usually i would have drained the fluid lol i thought the thing was already empty didnt even think to check it really

Anyways does anyone have a parts list of things to upgrade on the TH400, a buddy is helping me put one together im just trying to see if anyone offers an "upgrade kit" I was looking on Jakes website but says does not sell to customers anymore so looking for alternatives I guess. was looking at the "Monster in a box" but not sure if this is going to be everything I need. By no means an expert in transmissions usually just get lucky putting them back together after ripping them apart.

That sucks about Jake's, that's where I got all my stuff from.
Old 02-19-2014, 04:04 PM
On The Tree

That sucks about Jake's, that's where I got all my stuff from.
Take it back lol, I think what they are trying to do is just avoid all the unessecary calls for technical support on basic rebuilds which i completely understand they are not a tech support line, I did send him a PM and he said to call in and talk to him about it so ill probly be going that route, just looking on the site thats what it says
Old 02-19-2014, 09:30 PM
On The Tree

Doing some work tonight, waiting now for the k member to come in, and of course waiting for pay day lol.. going to order up a stage 2 kit for the th400 from jakes, and still kind of undecided on whether or not i really need the billet input drum because i need the direct drum as well..
Anyone think its really needed for 650-700 rwhp thats the max of my goal for now, going to start off at about 500-550 till the rest of the car gets sorted out
And of course i still haven't bought one of the most important things an engine lol so we will see what the weekend brings. also gotta pick up a welder so i need to hit the lotto or sell a couple of my winter beaters i picked up

Old 02-19-2014, 10:31 PM
10 Second Club

Take it back lol, I think what they are trying to do is just avoid all the unessecary calls for technical support on basic rebuilds which i completely understand they are not a tech support line, I did send him a PM and he said to call in and talk to him about it so ill probly be going that route, just looking on the site thats what it says
Jake has always treated me really good, if I ever had a question all I had to do was call, & that includes after hours.
Old 02-20-2014, 08:11 AM
On The Tree

Jake has always treated me really good, if I ever had a question all I had to do was call, & that includes after hours.

yeah I heard he had great customer support and thats one of the reasons I decided to go with his kit, Im sure I could find something comparable maybe save a few bucks, but to me its worth it to support a sponser on here that puts forth a lot of time and effort into helping people.. I have done a few rebuilds before on a 4l60 and a 700r4 but this is kinda my first 400, I know enough to tear it down and put it back together but not really how everything works and what everything is called lol, so im going to get the rebuild manual for my own sake.. I do think im going to hold off on the billet input drum for now, mostly because I have a ton of other stuff to buy still and that shouldnt be my weak point.
Old 02-20-2014, 09:01 AM
10 Second Club

yeah I heard he had great customer support and thats one of the reasons I decided to go with his kit, Im sure I could find something comparable maybe save a few bucks, but to me its worth it to support a sponser on here that puts forth a lot of time and effort into helping people.. I have done a few rebuilds before on a 4l60 and a 700r4 but this is kinda my first 400, I know enough to tear it down and put it back together but not really how everything works and what everything is called lol, so im going to get the rebuild manual for my own sake.. I do think im going to hold off on the billet input drum for now, mostly because I have a ton of other stuff to buy still and that shouldnt be my weak point.
The book that Jake recommends on his website is awesome, I was fortunate enough to get one but now its getting really hard to find. I cant remember the name of the book but I do remember its by Ron Sessions.
Old 02-20-2014, 10:56 AM
On The Tree

Nice! Looks like your father along then me now.. at least u have ur car with you I don't get mine here till June so I'm just collecting parts at this point.. for ur transmission look up freak show performance
Old 02-20-2014, 11:55 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by quickkris2006
Nice! Looks like your father along then me now.. at least u have ur car with you I don't get mine here till June so I'm just collecting parts at this point.. for ur transmission look up freak show performance
Oh, I didnt know your car wasnt there, yeah I am planning on getting this sucker done asap, I have a dyno day coming around that my buddies boss is putting on in my area april 14 so thats kind of my goal but worst case I can at least take the other car lol.

Im just waiting to see if the UMI kmember is going to be shipping out today, was supposed to be shipped tuesday but something came up, just hoping its here for the weekend but thats probably a little too hopefull.
Old 02-21-2014, 10:27 AM
On The Tree

Sounds to me like like it's either still being made or at powdercoating
Old 02-21-2014, 02:42 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by quickkris2006
Sounds to me like like it's either still being made or at powdercoating
thats what i thought as well, should be here monday, got shipped out last night.. no worries not like i have an engine to put in yet anyways lol.. ordered my stage 2 kit from jakes with the direct drum today, also ordered up some ebay 3.5 bends to do the down pipe with, should be big enough I hope, considered 4inch but i got an assortment of 10 bends for 60 bucks shipped so can complain much there.. trying to decide on where im dumping the exhaust out i like the fender exit idea, but still trying to decide if im going to make this sleeper status and run a rear exit to quit it down and Im having a hard time thinking about cutting a hole in a perfectly good fender
Old 02-25-2014, 02:17 PM
On The Tree

little update, planning on getting the engine tonight possibly, found a engine with 210K on it, seems pretty clean though, well see.. comes with harness and pcm for 600 bucks.. local junkyards want about 500 for 160k but they dont come with anything basically just a long block no coils or anything accessory wise.

Did recieve the UMI Kmember, aside from having to hack up my control arms to fit, its a nice piece, yet to get the coils back in, thats the plan for tonight assuming that i get back in time from picking up the engine..
Old 02-26-2014, 10:19 AM
On The Tree

Picked up a 5.3, has 210,000 miles but from what ive read mileage does not really matter at all, so well run it see what happens, will be tearing engine down and getting everything cleaned up today probly just going to set ring gaps maybe ball hone real quick to knock the glaze off and call it a day.

got the engine 01 5.3, with harness, pcm, extra set of 317 heads with 6.0 3 layer MLS gaskets and some new cam bearings for 600 bucks, not a bad deal i guess, considering junkyards were wanting 500 for stripped down long block with 178K.

Should have the trans parts in a couple days hopefully, just realized as i was looking at my pictures that i didnt get a flywheel from the guy, so ill have to order the conversion flex plate to fit the th400, i belive i saw somethign on amazon for about 100 bucks
Old 02-26-2014, 10:31 AM
On The Tree

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/atp-z270

this should be the flex plate im looking for I belive.
Old 02-27-2014, 08:27 AM
On The Tree

HOLY SLUDGE!!!!

Despite the entire lower end being sludged to crap, the engine its self is actually in great shape, the bearings look great as well as the crank, figured as sludged as it was that it would be toast, but its ready to roll, going to have to get new rings as my oil control rings appear to be completly filled with crap LOL.
So far so good though, will be taking the stuff over to my buddies shop to get cleaned up and hoefully be putting back together and in the car this weekend if all goes well, we shal see

Got the Front end put back together and put back on the ground forgot how much I hate doing thirdgen stock coil springs, total of about 4 hours putting the kmember in, came apart in about 40 minutes.
Old 02-27-2014, 07:12 PM
On The Tree

Damn I haven't seen a motor that sludged up in a while. I would take it completely apart and have it all put threw a hot tank

Quick Reply: 89 RS turdgen JY 5.3 WE HAVE BOOST (tuning in progress)