Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Fender exit exhaust guys

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2014, 06:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I wouldnt worry much about it, Im in MD and my Z06 had no mufflers was SOOO loud inside their facility. All they did was plug it in and no codes. Good to go. My current setup is on a 93 so im historic dont have to worry about emissions
Old 04-10-2014, 06:54 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't know where in maryland you guys live, but I'm in charels county MD. the guys at the emission station on Henry ford circle don't care about anything as long as yor scan comes up clean
Old 04-11-2014, 12:45 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Reject
what have cops said about it when being pulled over since that's tampering with all the emission equipment?
Pulled over?

I try to avoid that haha. Two years boosted now and lots of stop light racing and highway pulls have been done. So far everytime we see one we are driving the speed limit or under cause we are about to do another pull.

I think if anyone gets pulled over in a boosted car and bumper exit the least of the cops worries are gonna be how the exhaust is. He's going to be extremely pissed he just clocked you at 160mph
Old 04-12-2014, 06:36 PM
Staging Lane

Is there a specific reason you guys both ran them past the bumper like that? Spitting oil under tires or was it for cosmetic reasons like melting plastic or getting bumper blackened by fumes?
Old 07-08-2014, 12:09 PM
On The Tree

Anybody run the exhaust out the fender but don't have a turbo set up, like a n/a and nitrous set up? If so how do you run the exhaust? I'm interested in doing it.
Old 07-08-2014, 12:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Tanus
Is there a specific reason you guys both ran them past the bumper like that? Spitting oil under tires or was it for cosmetic reasons like melting plastic or getting bumper blackened by fumes?
none of these things happen if the setup is done correctly..
Old 07-08-2014, 12:38 PM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by pewtered'Z
Anybody run the exhaust out the fender but don't have a turbo set up, like a n/a and nitrous set up? If so how do you run the exhaust? I'm interested in doing it.
Starting to worry about you now PZ....you going strictly strip car?
Old 07-08-2014, 02:18 PM
TECH Apprentice

Inspections? Emissions? What are these things you speak of?
Old 07-08-2014, 03:58 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by ragtopz28
Starting to worry about you now PZ....you going strictly strip car?
If I can do it with out breaking the bank I'll do it, I like to be different.
Old 07-09-2014, 06:05 PM
TECH Apprentice

Texas law states the exhaust have to exit out the rear OR side. We can do side exit no problem. ALSO, it states we have to use some type of muffling device to reduce engine noise and any type chamber style device will work. It says the turbine side of a turbo is considered as a muffling device but I think it mentions it under diesel applications. I will see if I can find it all again.... Other states that require inspection may be very close to the same
Old 07-09-2014, 06:17 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

interested in all that, if you can find those rules to that law that would be greatly appreciated. think you just saved me alot of money
Old 07-09-2014, 11:20 PM
Staging Lane

Im in MD and facing the same issue, well I still have to get through inspection. That will be handled by a buddy. I have taken cars through emissions without cats and cut out open and the guys always liked it. I figure it should be no different. Worst case scenario you go to a different station and try again.

I have great luck going right before they close on a friday. The guys are always in a big rush and dont even pretend to walk around the car and look for cats.
Old 07-10-2014, 08:00 AM
TECH Apprentice

Inspection/Rejection criteria:

20.15 Exhaust System. Every motor vehicle shall at all times be equipped with muffler in good working order and in constant operation.

Muffler defined: Muffler is a device consisting of a series of chambers or baffle plates or other mechanical design for the purpose of receiving exhaust gas from an internal combustion engine and/or turbine wheels for the purpose of receiving exhaust gas from a diesel engine, both of which are effective in reducing noise.

The exhaust system includes the manifolds, gaskets, exhaust lines, mufflers, resonators, tailpiping, and supporting hardware.

They just passed this law I believe late September-November last year in 08. They just added a note under the old law that states if it came with the factory with a muffler and turbo that the truck will have both for inspection.

Another: 20.15 Exhaust System. Every motor vehicle shall at all times be equipped with muffler in good working order and in constant operation.

Muffler defined: Muffler is a device consisting of a series of chambers or baffle plates or other mechanical design for the purpose of receiving exhaust gas from an internal combustion engine and/or turbine wheels for the purpose of receiving exhaust gas from a diesel engine, both of which are effective in reducing noise.

The exhaust system includes the manifolds, gaskets, exhaust lines, mufflers, resonators, tailpiping, and supporting hardware.

Motor vehicles cannot be equipped with a muffler which is perforated or which was perforated and has been repaired, either by a muffler repair jacket or by patching or in any other way. In those cases where a muffler is perforated at the time of an inspection or has been perforated and has been repaired previous to the inspection, the muffler must be replaced or the vehicle rejected.

Some pickups are equipped with a camper or hard shell cover and are sometimes used for the transportation of passengers. The tailpipe should discharge the exhaust at the rear or sides. This truck modification will be considered as a passenger compartment.

The entire structure of a motor home-type vehicle is considered a passenger compartment. The cab only of all other truck-type vehicles is considered passenger or luggage compartment.

If the vehicle is equipped with lake pipes or similar devices, such pipes or devices must be securely plated and bolted or capped.

Dual exhaust systems may be modified to single exhaust systems and single exhaust systems to dual exhaust systems, provided the modification does not violate requirements concerning exhaust emission systems.

The catalytic converter will be considered as a part of the exhaust system on all vehicles prior to 1984 year model and will be inspected only visually (if present) for leakage. On 1984 and later model light truck and passenger vehicles, the catalytic converter will be checked for presence and leakage. Flexible tubing which meets the requirements listed below may be used anywhere in the exhaust system.

So it does appear to say that a muffler and/or the turbine side of turbo for diesel are considered good for reducing noise. I just dont see how we can get by without a "friend" saying our cars are diesels haha. OH BTW, exhaust can exit out of the rear, side OR top!
Old 07-10-2014, 08:10 AM
TECH Apprentice

ohand most people will argue that the side exits have to be past the rear axle, or passenger compartment due to the laws stating exhaust must exit and extend past the passenger compartment. It may not pass through any passenger compartment etc... as long as it is extending past the passenger compartment in ANY direction it is ok. It never states which direction it needs to go. Therefore in front of the tire front side exit is still legal in Texas! Out of the hood like landshark and fr8train etc IS also legal.
Old 07-10-2014, 08:19 AM
TECH Resident

im in Va and we have inspections but no emissions but because of that what i did was take my 3in down pipe that ran through my Kmember and hooked into the rest of my exhaust out the back of the car (Borla cat back,cat installed between DP and cat back) i ended up ordering a 3.5in cut out and i ran it right off my turbo, the electric cut out i ran out my fender and the. hooked the rest up to the remaining part of my DP, i hooked my muffler back up so i could have normal cat back level loud for cruising around or leaving neighbor hood/work but when i wanted loud i just hit a switch and id have a 3.5in fender dump that sounded awesome, worked really well too! if i get home and can upload vid/pic i will
Old 07-11-2014, 05:12 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a 5in fender exit and live in Texas. I am a state inspector so I don't have to worry about getting a sticker though. Lol

Old 07-11-2014, 07:53 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

stickers are the easy part. it's the fuzz that isnt at times.
Old 07-11-2014, 08:24 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by coolmanvette75
I have a 5in fender exit and live in Texas. I am a state inspector so I don't have to worry about getting a sticker though. Lol

Awesome lol

Quick Reply: Fender exit exhaust guys