Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Fender exit exhaust guys

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2014, 07:23 AM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Fender exit exhaust guys

soooo.... i know some of you run yours on the street and dont just use them for the track and im assuming some of you still need to get inspections and emissions done so my questions is what do you do when these things occur? being in MD we dont need inspections every 2 or 4 years or whatever only when titling the car for the first time so thats not an issue. And im not concerned with it being emissions legal as it already isnt but at least i have pipes running out that back to make it appear legal and no one ever questions it. And yes i have my codes removed so when they scan it all looks well but im not sure how easy its going to be to sneak a big hole in my fender with a loud exhaust pipe sticking out past anyone. i guess the employees are only there to plug it in and make sure it passes but knowing my luck ill get the asshat thats a treee hugger and call me on the exhaust with no emmisions equipment, just wondering what your guys experience with this was. reason im asking is bc im probably going to jump on the huron speed kit and was looking at some S480s and "superman09" suggested a 4" fender exit exhaust.
Old 03-18-2014, 07:52 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Fender exit is definitely simple. Im in NC and we do have strict inspection yearly but on that note I am an Inspector so I can get away with pretty much what I want.

Few pics to give you an idea. 5" reduced to 4" at the turbo.

Old 03-18-2014, 07:55 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Im in MD too and Im in the same boat. Im tryna find someone that works at a emission station so that he could just let it pass.

I had one guy tell me as long as they can read your codes and its clear then your clear, before I could get his info he was gone . It was at a meet.
Old 03-18-2014, 08:00 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 59 Likes on 44 Posts

We typically make bumper exit downpipes in 2 pieces, the main portion that runs to the bumper area, about 6-10" shy of the bumper. We then use a v-band to add a tip that will extend through the bumper. If you went this route you could remove the tip and cover the hole with something for emissions if you are worried about the visual aspect, however when pulling the car in it will be obvious, but the appearance won't be there

Featuring 6 different turbo kits for your F-body!
Check us out on Facebook at: www.facebook.com/HuronSpeed
Old 03-18-2014, 08:00 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I live in Texas...
Old 03-18-2014, 08:42 AM
TECH Fanatic

You gotta know someone bottom line or be a licensed inspector like myself. My computer has all the emission stuff tuned out of it.
Old 03-18-2014, 10:55 AM
10 Second Club

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

I live in NW Indiana and we have emissions every couple years. I also have a 4" fender exit and I have not had an issue with it yet, but i've only had one emission test. All they have ever done is just plug in their scanner and have at it. To be honest, most of them probably don't know any better, and those that do probably like it
Old 03-18-2014, 02:30 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by 98CamZ28
I live in NW Indiana and we have emissions every couple years. I also have a 4" fender exit and I have not had an issue with it yet, but i've only had one emission test. All they have ever done is just plug in their scanner and have at it. To be honest, most of them probably don't know any better, and those that do probably like it
yea thats kinda what im hoping for. i mean even now they do a mirror check for cats and can obvioulsly see they're not there and they hear the cam thumping but as long as they're computer says its good then they dont say anything. guess all i can do is slap it on and hope for the best haha. and who knows, by the time i get all my parts together it might be 20 years old and i wont need emissions anyway haha.
Old 03-18-2014, 09:28 PM
On The Tree

man that black ws6 is sick! here In texas we get inspected yearly but there is always a way he he
Old 03-19-2014, 07:50 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 7beast
man that black ws6 is sick! here In texas we get inspected yearly but there is always a way he he
You talking about mine? Assuming cause im the only pictures here. Its dark blue lol.
Old 03-19-2014, 08:27 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 59 Likes on 44 Posts

The demand and growing popularity of the front bumper exit exhausts is growing huge!

Featuring 6 different turbo kits for your F-body!
Check us out on Facebook at: www.facebook.com/HuronSpeed
Old 03-19-2014, 08:30 AM
Launching!

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

How is it that you're all gear heads but you don't have friends with an inspection license?

Acquiring a friend with a shop should be at the top of your priority list.
Old 03-19-2014, 11:27 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It's nice to live in a state without vehicle inspections.
Old 03-19-2014, 11:41 AM
FormerVendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Superman09
The demand and growing popularity of the front bumper exit exhausts is growing huge!

Awesome looking setup!

Aaron@Texas-Speed
Old 03-20-2014, 05:12 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Which test site did you go to? Griffith, crown point, or...

I need to go in august with my turbo gto that has a bumper exit. Still not sure if they are gonna let that fly but you give me hope haha.

If all else fails I'll make up a exhaust that exits before the rear tire. They might try to get me with it not being behind the passenger compartment. Pretty sure that is IN state law on where the exhaust exits. It must be behind you.
Old 03-20-2014, 08:49 AM
10 Second Club

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by 95bowtie
Which test site did you go to? Griffith, crown point, or...

I need to go in august with my turbo gto that has a bumper exit. Still not sure if they are gonna let that fly but you give me hope haha.

If all else fails I'll make up a exhaust that exits before the rear tire. They might try to get me with it not being behind the passenger compartment. Pretty sure that is IN state law on where the exhaust exits. It must be behind you.
Griffith, it's like 30 seconds down the street from my parents. Yea, you could always just fab something up quick and hang it with some wire if you have any issues lol.
Old 03-20-2014, 10:01 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Huron's T/A setup is a beauty.
Old 04-10-2014, 01:34 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Griffith, it's like 30 seconds down the street from my parents. Yea, you could always just fab something up quick and hang it with some wire if you have any issues lol.
Cool thanks, I think I'm going to try griffith then first. Cp station is right down the road from me but oh well. If all else fails I'll make a different exhaust and go to cp site
Old 04-10-2014, 01:54 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

In Texas we have inspections too. Once a year. But as long as you have a friend that is an inspector, all you have to do is have no codes so it can pass the computer scan(state computer) and you don't have to worry about emissions.
Old 04-10-2014, 05:55 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

what have cops said about it when being pulled over since that's tampering with all the emission equipment?

Quick Reply: Fender exit exhaust guys