Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Precision GT4788 408 w/ A/C

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2014, 02:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Precision GT4788 408 w/ A/C

For the last 3-4 years of owning my car I have always dreamed of owning a 1,000 rwhp street car. I have been buying parts for a year now and am very close to getting ready for the tear down and reassembly so I figured I would start my build thread with the parts and stuff I have so far.

Lets start with the car:
2001 Pontiac Trans-am M6 car
Heads/ Cam/ Exhaust has run a best of 13.08 at 108 making 410/390 to the tire. This is in Denver and our track is at 5,800 above seat level.
Old 03-23-2014, 02:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

So my first purchase was a hot side to retain the a/c from a member here on tech. Its all stainless and designed to keep all factory accessories in place with a TC78 turbo. ( however that's now changed and this will be up for sale soon.)

Next purchase was a motor. I bought a jy 5.3l out of a 2004 Silverado with 130,000 miles. When I pulled the heads to do new head studs and new head gaskets found rust in the cylinders so the 5.3l build got thrown under the table.

[URL=http://s1050.photobucket.com/user/01transampower/media/Turbo%20build/IMG953908_zpsc25c911e.jpg.html][/URL

Next since the original plan was a jy motor I set myself on a cheap budget and got myself an on3 turbo.

Then I purchased a turbo k-member to do the swap and make the exhaust exit the driver side.

Now here is where the build blew up 3 times over as they usually do. The on3 turbo was sold to buy a new Billet Ball Bearing Comp. It was a 76/79 with a 1.15 a/r. This change was made because the motor was now going to be turned into a 383 stroker fully forged.( How plans changed again)

While waiting for the rotating assembly I purchased a few more items. The pistons were on back order for months.

Now plans have once again changed. My boss came in one day and asked if I would like to do a 408. I said of course but didn't have a block and didn't want to spend anymore money. Well he was nice enough to give me a good 6.0l block he had. Only money I lost was 50 dollars for returning the custom speced cam we already had for the 383 and having to buy new head studs because of the year difference in the block. So I figured I could handle that and I made it work. The 383 pistons were about to ship and we called and switched to the pistons for the 408.

Now the Comp turbo is way to small so I called Jon at Huron Speed and ordered a GT4788. Some flanges and a turbo blanket.

Old 03-23-2014, 02:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Now I have some comparison shots of some of the turbo's I have bought along the way.
Comp 76/79 next to a S476 w/race cover:

GT4788 next to a standard S480 both on a T6 housing:
The GT4788 has a cover that is about 10"x10"

The rotating assembly I purchased is all Mahle and all forged

During some of the down time while waiting for parts I have done a few things to the car. Gauges, shift light and some QA1's all the way around.

Old 03-23-2014, 02:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Now for the fun. Now that I have my turbo and hot side I wanted to see how much of the hot side would need to be modified to fit the massive turbo.

Now with the turbo:

Now that's as far as I am now. We don't really like the hot side so we decided to buy stainless and redo it. Take the turbo higher up and rotate it further away from the motor. I am having a local genius in the fab industry here in Colorado do all my exhaust and cold side piping. The rest will all be done by me and my boss. I have many more parts but its small stuff and no one wants to see that stuff.

The car is keeping a/c the M6 will be rebuilt and will be full street weight. No weight stripped. Full interior spare tire radio heat and everything. Next winter it will get a cage and harnesses. The goal is to be done by mid or late summer and just drive it and enjoy it to get all the kinks worked out.
Old 03-23-2014, 02:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looks like it snowballed.. Should be a monster setup though.
Old 03-23-2014, 03:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JustAFooL
Looks like it snowballed.. Should be a monster setup though.
Yea it pretty much turned into the biggest snowball I have ever seen for me personally haha. Thanks man.
Old 03-23-2014, 06:33 PM
Launching!

Looks like fun. I'm headed down the same track but a bit behind you. Just acquired a Trans am w/ a 6.0l in midst of the swap. Are you more south or north Colo if you don't mind me asking?
Old 03-23-2014, 06:54 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I'm a little more north where I live. Live in Brighton. However the shop is pretty much in the middle in Englewood where the build will take place.
Old 03-23-2014, 07:17 PM
Launching!

Right on. I'm just east of ya in lochbuie. Gonna follow your build closely bud.
Old 03-23-2014, 08:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by BlutVonSchwachen
Right on. I'm just east of ya in lochbuie. Gonna follow your build closely bud.
Thanks man. Yea hopefully finish by mid summer depending on funds. Can't wait to see yours come together as well.
Old 04-07-2014, 09:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Well guys I got a few more parts in today. Hopefully I'll be getting the cam and cylinder heads with-in the next few days. I ordered a set of PRC stage 3 6.0l heads from Texas Speed.

Today I got in my King Bearings and my LS9 head gaskets.

The Old lady wanted to check out the turbo she called it our first baby!! I think she's a keeper.
Old 04-19-2014, 04:24 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Haven't been on here in awhile to update the build. I know its pretty dry with just parts but here are the Stage 3 6.0L heads I got from PRC. They look like really great pieces and should flow some good numbers.

Old 04-19-2014, 04:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Now today I was finally able to do a little tear down. My tranny has been on its way out for awhile now. So I called Texas Driveline Performance and I'm going to send them my T-56 and they're going to turn it into a TR-6060. So Tow rig all loaded up to head to the shop:

Tear down started:

Finally got the tranny out:

Now after I got the clutch off I noticed a few issues.....:

Looks like this Monster Stage 3 clutch didn't last long..... So I will need a replacement if you guys have any suggestions for ones rated around 1,000 horsepower???

Now for a little eye candy!!! My old man wanted to give me a hand and he drove down his fully restored 1970 AAR Cuda:

Old 06-30-2014, 10:38 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

subscribed!!Any updates? damn! that turbo is HUGE! I'm also from Brighton but live in Denver now and plan on doing a 408 build for my 85 GP with a ls1/t56 swap eventually, hoping to turbo it as well! See you went to J&S performance... I got my GP to run through them great shop to deal with! love the Bird and keep us updated.
Old 07-01-2014, 09:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 85GPLEf41
subscribed!!Any updates? damn! that turbo is HUGE! I'm also from Brighton but live in Denver now and plan on doing a 408 build for my 85 GP with a ls1/t56 swap eventually, hoping to turbo it as well! See you went to J&S performance... I got my GP to run through them great shop to deal with! love the Bird and keep us updated.
I actually work for J&S Performance lol. We've possibly met before. I haven't been down there working in awhile though its kind of a part time when my regular job is slow. But I do love it down there and a kick *** place. Updates are slow money has been flowing into my truck because it keeps having issues. I'm getting really close to tear down though. I will have it at the track and stuff till then enjoying it.
Old 07-01-2014, 09:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Sorry For not updating in awhile. Work was slow and now that we're busy I don't have enough time to tear the car apart. I've also still been waiting on the tranny to come back from Texas. They've been waiting on parts but when it gets back I'll get up dates of it in and some track times. Hoping to get the car into the 12's which many of you I know would say is easy with any heads cam LS car but up here in Denver where at any given day the D.A. can be anywhere from 8,000 to 9,500 it can be difficult.

But till then I got a few parts in. Enjoy!!!

I have a few more suspension pieces coming to help this thing hook better when the build gets under way. Lord knows that this thing will need it.
Old 08-10-2014, 10:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Well finally got my tranny back. A T-56 converted into a TR-6060 and built to hold 1,000 horsepower. It took 3 months to get but should hopefully be well worth the wait. I got in put in but found a few issues. My drive shaft now needs to be shortened and I discovered my slave cylinder is leaking so now the tranny needs to come back out. But here's a few updated pictures so everyone can see where its at so far. With the track season ending here soon and college starting back up I may just start tearting the car apart to do the turbo build. I just spent a bunch of money to get the rest of the hard parts so it should be apart soon anyway once it all arrives.
Old 08-10-2014, 10:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Old 08-10-2014, 10:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Old 08-10-2014, 10:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Quick Reply: Precision GT4788 408 w/ A/C