Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Holley traction control

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2014, 06:27 PM
9 Second Club

Received 180 Likes on 155 Posts

Retarding timing isnt always a good idea, as it can lead to engine damage if you go too far, or use it for too long.

Most systems will either employ a spark or fuel cut, or combination of both to control power and maintain traction.

Timing can work for short duration, or where a small power reduction is all that's needed. Just dont get carried away with it

I had have thought the Dominator had traction control built in ? Surprised it requires any additional boxes.
Old 03-28-2014, 06:34 PM
8 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by stevieturbo
Retarding timing isnt always a good idea, as it can lead to engine damage if you go too far, or use it for too long. Most systems will either employ a spark or fuel cut, or combination of both to control power and maintain traction. Timing can work for short duration, or where a small power reduction is all that's needed. Just dont get carried away with it I had have thought the Dominator had traction control built in ? Surprised it requires any additional boxes.
I thought the same thing when I bought it. I'm pretty sure the TC1 uses two forms of retardation. I know the TC2 does
Old 03-28-2014, 07:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by kjm
I have been working on software for my car. It's going to read front wheel and rear wheel speed and control boost and timing based on the wheel speed difference or tire spin. I will use ignition timing to control wheel spin. I have the charge air table set to given values at given temp an when wheel speed is present my system will send a fake given temp value so the ecu can reduce timing and depending on how much wheel spend will depend on what charge temp I send the ecu. And from that value the stock ecu or any ecu for that. Will drop the needed timing to control spin.
It's gonna have a 5 display that will be programable from traction control based on time and wheel spin. Just something I'm going to be playing with this year
Kerry

very interesting. what box or chip will you be using for hardware?
Old 03-28-2014, 09:05 PM
On The Tree

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

The pros use speed signals from all 4 wheels, Motec and DTA for sure. Can be done with both driven rears and 1 undriven front, but better to have both undriven fronts as its gives less chance of errors on cornering.... Not sure how the Holley units do it but I'm going to have to learn as that's what I want to buy..
Old 03-29-2014, 04:20 AM
9 Second Club

Received 180 Likes on 155 Posts

From this thread, Holley doesnt reference wheel speeds at all. So would be aimed at drag use only ?

Based on it's assumption that a rapid unexpected rise of shaft speed means wheel spin.... Which yes it can, but it certainly isnt definitive

Hell, you could do a rolling burnout the length of the track and the system might never realise you have lost traction

1 undriven wheel is fine, 2 is better.

But on top of that how power is actually reduced matters as well as control options. Some ecu's will also allow g-meters and steering angle to be referenced for any correction action.

ie it might employ more power reduction at higher steering angles and g levels than it would in a straight line. Again for vehicle safety.
How fast a system actually response is very important too.

Ive found on many occasions, my DTA just does nothing despite even 100% slip between F/R
Why Ive no idea. Most of the time it does reduce power, but not always.

Ive given up with it now and changing to Syvecs which will work properly, and allow better options.

Quick Reply: Holley traction control