Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

What clutch to hold 1000+HP?

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2014, 11:32 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1,747 Likes on 1,304 Posts

Those are the reasons why I run a trans and bellhousing blanket....just in case. I have the RST here and have loved it. Drives very nice.
Old 04-03-2014, 03:29 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by oscs
There are so many things i want to say but i will refrain since i apparently "dont get it". Good luck with your next clutch install man, apparently you need it.

OP get yourself a nice RXT or monster and call it a day.
I understand.

reading comprehension

Thanks!!!
Old 04-03-2014, 03:51 PM
8 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by V-seriesTech
I understand.

reading comprehension

Thanks!!!

Indeed you do! To bad your comprehension skills are better than your mechanical aptitude and driving skills. Two swimmingly rare instances in two weeks.. coincidence? I think not. 13 clutch jobs and you still can't figure it out? Now you want to "spread the word" of spec clutch inadequacies.

Im done bickering with you. Your right and im wrong, Spec clutches are dangerous. Thanks for the warning.
Old 04-03-2014, 06:56 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Indeed you do! To bad your comprehension skills are better than your mechanical aptitude and driving skills. Two swimmingly rare instances in two weeks.. coincidence? I think not. 13 clutch jobs and you still can't figure it out? Now you want to "spread the word" of spec clutch inadequacies.

Im done bickering with you. Your right and im wrong, Spec clutches are dangerous. Thanks for the warning.
I've read over this thread again and it's funny how these forums go! All you have done is trash this guy who just was giving his opinion on what clutch not to go with in his own view everyone has one that's why these threads are created a simple question was asked at the start. I don't know how u don't understand what he was getting at or how you can rate his mechanical ability. I also have had spec clutches that have slipped with way less power than they were rated for and had the stress cracks that he explained. I have installed many clutches and all of my buddies as well have fast stick cars and have had bad experiences with spec that's why I installed my monster clutch and not Risking another failure using a spec. So what you are saying is anybody that has a failed clutch means they are incapable of installing one I call BS.
Old 04-04-2014, 06:59 AM
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by VIPERSLYR
I've read over this thread again and it's funny how these forums go! All you have done is trash this guy who just was giving his opinion on what clutch not to go with in his own view everyone has one that's why these threads are created a simple question was asked at the start. I don't know how u don't understand what he was getting at or how you can rate his mechanical ability. I also have had spec clutches that have slipped with way less power than they were rated for and had the stress cracks that he explained. I have installed many clutches and all of my buddies as well have fast stick cars and have had bad experiences with spec that's why I installed my monster clutch and not Risking another failure using a spec. So what you are saying is anybody that has a failed clutch means they are incapable of installing one I call BS.
love how people can get so worked up, Tissue?

Last edited by oscs; 04-04-2014 at 07:29 AM.
Old 04-04-2014, 07:02 AM
8 Second Club

OP It doesn't seem like anyone has addressed it but It looks like 3 years of abuse on that clutch has taken its toll. I'd be willing to bet with a fresh RXT you would be in business. Any thoughts on what brand flywheel you will go with? I would also make sure it was SFI approved.
Old 04-04-2014, 07:59 AM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Let's keep this thread on course, and cut out the drama... OK?

If you've had it this long, OSCS is right, I would contact McLeod and actually talk to a tech and see if you can't go with a different compound on the 2 discs. You've got 4 different contact surfaces on the discs, increasing the coefficient of friction for each face will make a huge difference.

Talk to them, they'll get you straight. Like I said, I have a single disc holding 700ft/lbs for 2 years now.

Last edited by The Alchemist; 04-04-2014 at 08:10 AM.
Old 04-04-2014, 09:25 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I would also make sure it was SFI approved.
^^^This is not pointed at you oscs but its funny you mentioned "SFI approved".

I bought a supposedly "SFI" Hayes flexplate from Jegs and when I got it it was warped. It wasnt like sombody put something on it and bent it. It was just warped. You could actually take it and flip it back and forth from one warped side to another, if that makes any sense. For it to be SFI approved it had to be inspected, right?

I sent the flywheel back and put the stock flywheel from 1992 back on the Camaro we were working on.

To me, SFI doesn't mean much but its supposed to be another level scrutiny for a product. Sometimes even that isn't enough
Old 04-04-2014, 10:18 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by VIPERSLYR

^thanks for reading and understanding my points.
Old 04-04-2014, 10:21 AM
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by 87silverbullet
^^^This is not pointed at you oscs but its funny you mentioned "SFI approved".

I bought a supposedly "SFI" Hayes flexplate from Jegs and when I got it it was warped. It wasnt like sombody put something on it and bent it. It was just warped. You could actually take it and flip it back and forth from one warped side to another, if that makes any sense. For it to be SFI approved it had to be inspected, right?
I sent the flywheel back and put the stock flywheel from 1992 back on the Camaro we were working on.

To me, SFI doesn't mean much but its supposed to be another level scrutiny for a product. Sometimes even that isn't enough

Funny how that works isn't it? Im in oil field manufacturing and see all kinds of "heavily inspected" parts that look terrible. Luckily you where smart enough to catch it before it went into the car. Well thanks for the heads up as I have a new Hayes going into the Datsun soon. When I get home ill check it.

Last edited by oscs; 04-04-2014 at 10:33 AM.
Old 04-04-2014, 10:57 AM
10 Second Club

Received 72 Likes on 37 Posts

Mantic 9000, McLeod RXT, or RPS is all I would consider unless you have money for a Tilton.
Old 04-04-2014, 04:33 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Detoxx03
Mantic 9000, McLeod RXT, or RPS is all I would consider unless you have money for a Tilton.
Good advice, I almost went with the RPS myself, I have heard good things but I have no experience with them so I don't know more then what I read here. Currently in the middle of a RXT install on a Big Centri car. Expecting good things from the clutch.
Old 04-04-2014, 09:47 PM
10 Second Club

Received 72 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by V-seriesTech
Good advice, I almost went with the RPS myself, I have heard good things but I have no experience with them so I don't know more then what I read here. Currently in the middle of a RXT install on a Big Centri car. Expecting good things from the clutch.
They are badass. Three of my friends have the triple carbons. Me and another friend are running the Mantic's. Another friend has a RXT in his built/Paxton 5.0 and he likes it a lot. Few friends had the Monsters and hated them and switched and another has a ACT and can't wait to get rid of it. Worse clutch I have ever driven was that ACT and the guys with the Monsters had nothing but problems.
Old 04-04-2014, 10:23 PM
8 Second Club

They are badass. Three of my friends have the triple carbons. Me and another friend are running the Mantic's. Another friend has a RXT in his built/Paxton 5.0 and he likes it a lot. Few friends had the Monsters and hated them and switched and another has a ACT and can't wait to get rid of it. Worse clutch I have ever driven was that ACT and the guys with the Monsters had nothing but problems.
I had a stage 3 ACT and it was the worst clutch in the world. It hooked awesome but was terrible around town.
Old 04-04-2014, 10:43 PM
8 Second Club

Ran 975rwhp through a spec twin with no issues.
Old 04-05-2014, 10:01 AM
TECH Resident

Mantic. If you need one let me know a guy I know is selling one. Might let it go for 1300 new!!
Old 04-05-2014, 06:17 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the RPS triple carbon, love the street manners and the way it grabs. 840 whp in a 4k lb car with 3:07 gears out back. I'm turning up the boost and will be around 1k whp. Will report back IF I have a issue by I don't expect I will.

Quick Reply: What clutch to hold 1000+HP?