Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

"switching off" horsepower on a p1sc LQ4

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2014, 07:52 PM
8 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

a 60mm wastegate would seal effectively on the intake tract and be able to vent alot of airflow.
Old 04-24-2014, 03:30 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Maybe an i-1 procharger to get the impeller speed WAY down, retard the timing AND a bypass valve. That should certainly do it.

I cannot believe they have those kinds of HP restrictions. I can understand places having safety and emission restrictions but HP?
Old 04-24-2014, 04:06 AM
9 Second Club

Received 180 Likes on 155 Posts

Originally Posted by Project GatTagO
I think you will find the exhaust cut-out to be ineffective at sealing the intake at boost. The pressure in a NA exhaust system is not nearly as much as you will see under boost. I think you will have substantial pressure loss when you want it to be sealed off.

Andrew
Dont think he's going to try and seal the intake.

He's going to use the blade pre-blower to restrict air supply to the blower, which would give almost total control over power.
Old 04-24-2014, 04:35 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by stevieturbo
Dont think he's going to try and seal the intake.

He's going to use the blade pre-blower to restrict air supply to the blower, which would give almost total control over power.
Going pre-blower would also be great because you won't have the crazy obnoxious noise of a BOV going full tilt all the way to redline.

A variable restrictor plate is a simple way to go. I like it. Even on a N/A 6.0L that will certainly be over 350hp it would work great.
Old 04-24-2014, 08:55 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Exidous
Maybe an i-1 procharger to get the impeller speed WAY down, retard the timing AND a bypass valve. That should certainly do it.

I cannot believe they have those kinds of HP restrictions. I can understand places having safety and emission restrictions but HP?
haha a hp restriction leads to more safety.....problem here in germany and austria is that we have a state certified organization that is reliable for safety according to cars and trucks something similar to the Department of Transportation so every car that needs to be licenced to get on the road gets checked by engineers working there. if you wanna get a car like my camaro on the road you need to have it certified as a historic vehicle to get around safety and emission standards and that means, like i mentioned before it needs to be bone stock. so if walk over to the engineer to tell him i want my pro-touring car street certified iīm gonna get shot. i would have to bring every part on my car to a certified engineer who starts to check all the welds etc. and later he has to break every single part to find out if thereīs no weakness in material and connections. i canīt meet safety nor emission rules cause i had to follow the same rules every brand new car from 2014 has to. i did changes like upper and lower arms with a triangulated rear coilover from ridetech, corvette c6 brakes, 17" forgeline but i need to keep everything as unspectacular as possible. itīs wayyyy easier in great britain or the netherlands. netherlands for example allows mods on the car as long as it improves the performance of the car like better rims/tires, suspension, bigger brakes etc.

yeah would use the restrictor somewhere in the piping going from air filter to the procharger
Old 04-24-2014, 08:58 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,435 Likes on 905 Posts

Why don't you just move to the US? seriously...LOL

Andrew
Old 04-24-2014, 10:19 AM
TECH Fanatic

Just put the blower on an electric clutch, Mad Max style!!!!
Old 04-24-2014, 12:03 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by camaro427-69

yeah would use the restrictor somewhere in the piping going from air filter to the procharger

The only thing to bare in mind here.

WRC cars can make 350hp breathing through something like a 32mm restrictor. Although they are very well tuned to achieve that

So dont get carried away and let lots of air in, as it could well take quite a small hole/opening to get power down where you want it to be.
Old 04-24-2014, 12:18 PM
Staging Lane

I think a wastegate on the charge piping would still be the best idea. Itd be easy to setup too. Use an EXTREMELY small spring (like 2-3 psi). setup a MAC valve with the "normal" flow route set to run pressure to the top of the gate only. This will hold it closed all the time (full power), then run the "switched" flow to the bottom of the gate. Put the valve on a switch in the car, when you hit the switch the wastegate will open with only 1-2 psi and vent the majority of boost, should be able to get you down to the n/a number or below (due to excess loss of driving the blower). Prob would need to be like a 60mm gate though, so that gate itself wont be too cheap. Unless you go with an ebay knockoff or something, which should be fine for this scenario.

Like everyone else said, the restrictions there seem absolutely insane. I cant imagine that type of program being cost efficient at all? (Mobile dynos, paying police to man these when they could be doing other things, paying engineers to test parts on every car thats inspected, etc) What a waste of taxpayer $$. If you ever decide to come over to the states, check out Oklahoma (where I live), or a few of the other states that have no vehicle inspections. Yeah were typically the most boring states, but it sure is nice literally being able to do anything you want to your car.
Old 04-24-2014, 04:38 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

A simple idea but likely hard to implement would be a clutch engagement of the blower drive that you can switch to OFF. That would return the engine to NA, you could even have a partial engagement where the blower still turns to look authentic but slips until locked by switch.

Dumb idea, as I have no idea how to do it, but simple concept :-)
Old 04-25-2014, 09:25 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,435 Likes on 905 Posts

I was thinking about this some more as I was driving today. If you were to go with a positive displacement supercharger, then the throttle body is ahead of the intake. Then, if you had something like the Holley Dominator system, you could simple program the throttle body to only open enough to make as little power as you needed. I can't recall if the Dominator ECU allows multiple tunes on the fly, if it did, this would solve your problems easily. You would just flip a switch to the "valet" or in your case "governmentapprovedbecauseweknowwhatsgoodforyo u" tune, and you're all set.

Andrew

*edit....I just looked it up and the Dominator ECU allows you to switch between 4 different calibrations on the fly.

**edit..edit...I actually see no reason that the same strategy can't be used with a pro charger.

Last edited by Project GatTagO; 04-25-2014 at 09:30 PM.
Old 04-26-2014, 05:48 AM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by Project GatTagO
I was thinking about this some more as I was driving today. If you were to go with a positive displacement supercharger, then the throttle body is ahead of the intake. Then, if you had something like the Holley Dominator system, you could simple program the throttle body to only open enough to make as little power as you needed. I can't recall if the Dominator ECU allows multiple tunes on the fly, if it did, this would solve your problems easily. You would just flip a switch to the "valet" or in your case "governmentapprovedbecauseweknowwhatsgoodforyo u" tune, and you're all set.

Andrew

*edit....I just looked it up and the Dominator ECU allows you to switch between 4 different calibrations on the fly.

**edit..edit...I actually see no reason that the same strategy can't be used with a pro charger.
That's if he has DBW throttle.

Does the Dominator allow full and programmable throttle control maps ? Or does it simply mirror pedal movements ?
Old 04-27-2014, 12:35 PM
Teching In

naaaa andrew just a "drivenbyasteelwirefrommyfootthatpushesdownagasped al" throttle body from accel . also the HP EFI i got is way simpler than the dominator and i donīt know if i could do different tunes without hooking the laptop. but iīm gonna ask holley tech about that or maybe the 50000 page instruction could tell me more about it.

Quick Reply: "switching off" horsepower on a p1sc LQ4