Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Fuel pressure regulator goes on supply or return?

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2014, 09:27 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 74 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by 703 CAMAROSS
Ok so I bought a y black to feed each rail without connecting them in series. But my fuel pressure regulator only has 1 inlet and 3 outlets and 1 return. So how do I connect the rails to the regulator if I only have 1 inlet? Can I connect them to the outlet spots?
Pretty sure everything but the return can be treated as an "inlet". Can you post a part # for the regulator?
Old 04-30-2014, 09:32 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Seems odd, but you could always y them back together.
Old 04-30-2014, 11:17 AM
9 Second Club

Received 179 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by 703 CAMAROSS
Ok so I bought a y black to feed each rail without connecting them in series. But my fuel pressure regulator only has 1 inlet and 3 outlets and 1 return. So how do I connect the rails to the regulator if I only have 1 inlet? Can I connect them to the outlet spots?
Yes you can, its just incredibly stupid labelling of the ports

But as Sarg also says, it's quote easy to either Y or tee the returns into a single line back to the regulator. Often it can make plumbing much neater with less hoses, and there are no real negatives to doing this.

Last edited by stevieturbo; 04-30-2014 at 11:47 AM.
Old 05-01-2014, 01:23 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thank you all for the help. Things are coming along well for me. Got lines going from the tank up to the back of the intake using the y block. I'm not gonna y the the lines going to the regulator from the rails. Just gonna put them in two different ports. Then I'm gonna plug the feed and the extra so called "outlet" port and run my -6 return.
Old 03-13-2016, 12:32 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Ryans99ls1
Your way of doing it can be dangerous. Aftermarket fuel pressure regulators should be hooked up after the rails. Meaning pumps to rails then to regulator/return. Its dangerous because you could realistically consume all of the fuel before it reaches the back of the rail. With the regulator after the rails, it will just return any unused fuel to the tank. You are right when you say the pumps will just pump what they can but you might be consuming almost all of it at full load. Your setup may have trouble keeping those rear injectors full of fuel.

I have -8an from my pumps to my passenger side rail. -8an from passenger to driver side rail. then i exit the back side of the driver side rail with -8an and go to my regulator. I capped the second port on the regulator and run a -6an return line from the bottom of the regulator back to the tank.
have not read all the pages here but i like this method
but i also have a stock ls1 rail,,so maybe buying fuels rails just to make sure i have enough fuel
Old 03-13-2016, 01:45 PM
On The Tree

I'm working through this on my car as well. I need to upgrade my rails but have no clearance on the passenger front for a crossover due to my alternator. I am thinking about running a -8 feed to the regulator -8 out to splitter and feed both rails from the rear with -6 lines. I would have a guage in the car to monitor rail pressure on the drivers side rail. It's either that or find a different alternator relocation bracket to get the clearance for a crossover but that's another couple hundred... If I am reading the pressure at the end of the rail on the drivers side can I assume the passengers side is the same? Not looking to make crazy power (~800 rwhp).
Old 03-13-2016, 04:30 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by 00Z-28Maro
I'm working through this on my car as well. I need to upgrade my rails but have no clearance on the passenger front for a crossover due to my alternator. I am thinking about running a -8 feed to the regulator -8 out to splitter and feed both rails from the rear with -6 lines. I would have a guage in the car to monitor rail pressure on the drivers side rail. It's either that or find a different alternator relocation bracket to get the clearance for a crossover but that's another couple hundred... If I am reading the pressure at the end of the rail on the drivers side can I assume the passengers side is the same? Not looking to make crazy power (~800 rwhp).
There is no problem with what you propose.

If you really wanted full flow rails, you could weld a fitting onto the side of the rail at the rear to allow a return line as opposed to the rear of the rails.
Old 03-14-2016, 11:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by CameronVic
And I'm no engineer, but I just can't see the way oscs had/has is (the way I'm switching to) being a problem. This is why, I believe the pressure everywhere in the entire system will be the same. Ex: the pressure right after the pump and at the very end of the dead headed rails. Just like pressure inside of an air compressor is equal everywhere. And saying you're going to run out of fuel with it one way vs another also makes no sense. The orientation of the lines does not make a pump flow more volume. Just my observation.
With the regulator before the rails you lose volume as pressure rises. With it after the rails the injectors still get as much volume as the pump can push. The pressure rises as the reg squeezes off flow back to the tank.
Old 03-20-2016, 11:22 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by stevieturbo
There is no problem with what you propose.

If you really wanted full flow rails, you could weld a fitting onto the side of the rail at the rear to allow a return line as opposed to the rear of the rails.
Would that work since I am supplying fuel to the rear of the rails? I'm going to be dead ending both rails at the front.
Old 03-21-2016, 04:23 AM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by 00Z-28Maro
Would that work since I am supplying fuel to the rear of the rails? I'm going to be dead ending both rails at the front.
OEM's dead end the heap, so no real reason why not.

Whether you feed front, rear, middle really doesnt matter.

it is still always best to have full flow rails, but it will work other ways and if you're monitoring pressure at the furthest dead end, you should be well covered.
Old 03-21-2016, 07:56 AM
I need a gauge for that

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

On my blower setup I am feeding the back of both rails, with crossovers at the front and the back (Tee on the back of one of the rails), and returning fuel from the middle of the driver side rail. Works just fine!

Quick Reply: Fuel pressure regulator goes on supply or return?