Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

AES 390** Billet 94mm** 4L80E** E85/Meth

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2014, 07:03 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well. The intake fits nicely. Thanks to Steven @ Hawks for his sound advice. Intake is not the greatest intake of all time, but showed gains over the ls6 and wont blow up, looks great, fits, so im happy.

Received the rear afcos. They are in.

Old 06-23-2014, 09:28 PM
9 Second Club

Looking good Joey!
How long before your hard work is done and you get to have fun?
Old 06-24-2014, 10:23 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by jjcamaro02
Looking good Joey!
How long before your hard work is done and you get to have fun?

Late July-Early August.
I should be able to drive it to Holley LS fest 2014 and lay a few smackdowns and do some real time tuning on it. Then I will bring her home, and start working on the rest of the engine bay, new wheels, EFI, and a cage/paint. I am going to borrow a set of wheels from my buddy for the races. I am going to get the 60, and 1/8 mile times and shut it down before the 1/4 so I dont get kicked. If I am not limited by gear, once it gets where it needs to be, I may just let tech give me a talking to, and see if I can make it run a 9 something letting off way early. haha. I wasnt thinking about 1/4 mile when I ordered my gears, but I do mainly 1/8 mile regardless. you need to Come JB
Old 06-26-2014, 06:52 PM
9 Second Club

I would love too come but i already requested time off work for the Lsx race @ Norwalk in August.
Old 07-13-2014, 01:35 PM
TECH Addict

should have the turbo in the bay this week.

ordering my controller now. (boost leash) still deciding on the pulse for the extra 250 or not

been gathering the parts for the c02 kit.

selling my billet triple disc for another billet triple disc....thinking of a 4400 stall this time. Get me right into where the power will be.
Old 07-13-2014, 03:05 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

That porting work by Peak Speed is great.
Old 07-13-2014, 06:39 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Blackpanther99
That porting work by Peak Speed is great.

I was very impressed with how professional they were, how good the work was, and how they accommodated me. I put the pressure on them, and they handled it very very well. I needed it quick was all. Really quick.

I am going to be running a Leash 2. I think its about the best controller going right now. Had the chance to grab a couple of ams-1000 for little or nothing, but feel this is the way to go for me personally. More user friendly IMO.

I am using a 5 lb bottle too, because I am not a person who wants to fill that tank up very often, although I work right next to a place that can do it for me.

Old 07-25-2014, 10:10 PM
TECH Addict

PTC is doing a new converter specifically for this turbo setup. 258mm Triple Billet Disc....stall is unknown. Trans is out ....debating on sending it out for inspection and dyno to make sure its ready (shipping costs crate costs). timeframe timeframe timeframe.

still have a cam swap to do. im considering making another trip depending on budget.
Old 08-12-2014, 10:35 PM
TECH Addict

fabbing is started. pulled it back off and got the trans on its way to jakes in texas.

so all that is left is

cam
weld the ARB---SFC
Run the boost controller/c02
wire in the pump/relay/controller
finish cold side--coat---wrap.
get the 80e back and slap the new ptc stall in it.
dyno it at Shortuning.

24 days till ls fest.
Old 08-13-2014, 01:16 AM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Leggo! Crunch time!
Old 08-20-2014, 04:58 PM
TECH Addict

new cam is IN! really cool to have a cam specd right on the money for your setup. I have a feeling this cam/ and new PTC converter will pay off and make the car do what it should do.

PTC is shipping it out tomorrow or friday....jakes performance has the 80e torn down. replaced some frictions and are putting it back together. still hasnt been on the dyno i dont think.......so far no real revelations as to why the thing has not worked.

just gotta put on the gates and hot side

hook up the boost leash

and send her to the dyno.......if the trans shifts...shell be going on the dyno or ill pick it up and track tune it. dont put it past me.
Old 09-11-2014, 06:32 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Updates? Curious about these AES 390 builds.
Old 09-14-2014, 03:46 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Mike 02T/A
Updates? Curious about these AES 390 builds.
now the stall is about to have to go back after waiting a month to get it unless PTC agrees to send me the proper flexplate since they didnt ask what kind of flexplate i was already on the car. it looks like they built it for a 60e plate instead of an 80e. they were saying my crank was probably out of spec----that my flywheel was out of spec......i told them the circle D fit like a glove. so were supposed to be taking some stupid *** measurements and relaying them back to them so they can see what they think is wrong. Im sure it will turn into me paying out of pocket for something to be fixed that should have been right to begin with as always. this is what is holding the build up currently. and has been.

if you know anyone switching to 80e....preach full manual valve body to them. i wouldnt wish this electronic bullshit on my worst enemy. as far as a stall......****** make your own. buddy of mine is making almost 1200 on his 390 and beats on it on the regular.

one day ill drive this thing.
Old 09-15-2014, 11:57 AM
FormerVendor

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

I tell just about everyone that is going to a 80e that the MVB is the easiest, cheapest and fastest way to enjoy driving and racing your car.

I think for most people that have never owned a manual valve body trans it's not something that they think they will like or enjoy. I loved my manual valve body 80e and it was extremely simple to set-up. 3 wires and that's it.
Old 09-15-2014, 01:14 PM
11 Second Club

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

Is this a street driven car? I would check to see if your PTC converter is sprag , spragless or has a mechanical diode.

I had a spragless PTC converter that was contributing to many 4L80E failures due to lots of driving on the street. I sent it in and got a mechanical diode installed.
Old 09-16-2014, 06:01 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by transam69230
Is this a street driven car? I would check to see if your PTC converter is sprag , spragless or has a mechanical diode.

I had a spragless PTC converter that was contributing to many 4L80E failures due to lots of driving on the street. I sent it in and got a mechanical diode installed.
it has a mechanical diode.
Old 09-16-2014, 09:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've was following your build. From when you started out with the f1a and now going turbo. ( good choice by the way you will never go back ) I give you some serious credit for sticking with it threw the good and bad. Not to mention the unbelievable amount of money put into this thing. Can't wait to see it on the road
Old 09-23-2014, 10:17 AM
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by I8UR4RD
if you know anyone switching to 80e....preach full manual valve body to them. i wouldnt wish this electronic bullshit on my worst enemy. as far as a stall......****** make your own. buddy of mine is making almost 1200 on his 390 and beats on it on the regular.
Originally Posted by Martin@Tick
I tell just about everyone that is going to a 80e that the MVB is the easiest, cheapest and fastest way to enjoy driving and racing your car.

I think for most people that have never owned a manual valve body trans it's not something that they think they will like or enjoy. I loved my manual valve body 80e and it was extremely simple to set-up. 3 wires and that's it.
I would disagree with you guys somewhat. Martin, it sounds like you have a a manual control box, with the third wire attachment for the transbrake (I recall you speaking to JT about it a long long time ago) so with a setup like that, it's definitely very easy and cheap, but it's not a full manual valve body itself, just simulates it. The brake you have (had? lol) is also perfect for that setup since it is engaged in low and you're already starting there anyways An actual VB setup for full manual control however costs more than the box (depending on where you buy the box from of course. If you pay Rossler's $300 price tag... lol) and the setup is unquestionably more complicated than the box, and for a non-transmission guy, it'd be a nightmare for many (or a labor rate charge to have it installed).

That method is superior to an actual manual valve body as far as cost and simplicity go, however there are a plethora of options to control the 4L80E. The relay mod is fairly simple and great for the '98 PCMs. Setup is a tad bit more involved than a manual control box (but substantially less than a standalone controller or anything of the sort), and that's the one method I can think of that honestly costs less. If you already have HPTuners, a Speartech harness is about $150 (for 4L60E to 4L80E) and you come out to about the same, although for some that may be an arguably easier setup as it's plug and play and you only have to do a minor ECM tweak.

I8UR4RD, what kind of control system do you have in place for the 80E if I may ask?
Old 09-25-2014, 06:22 PM
FormerVendor

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Yea that was in my old street car that had a SBE 5.7, PT7675 and a 4L80e from Transformance and Jake's transbrake/valve body and black box.
Old 10-25-2014, 11:58 PM
TECH Addict

car is getting a new flexplate. if it fits the turbo kit fabbing can resume.

10 point cm cage coming.

Got some D585 coils coming as well.

Should be finalizing everything here soon.

Going to see just how far I can push this motor.

Hope to update this more soon.

Quick Reply: AES 390** Billet 94mm** 4L80E** E85/Meth