Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

My $900 shipped Billet “S476” arrived.

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2014, 08:39 AM
8 Second Club

Received 676 Likes on 499 Posts

Default My $900 shipped Billet “S476” arrived.

Anyone bought a turbo from Apex Performance Turbos Inc (APT) out of California? Opinions? Company seems to have been around for awhile. Very popular over on the supra forums and import crowd in general. I was cruising E-BAY and threw out an $899 offer on $999 asking price and they accepted. It arrived last night. Couple things looked different compared to the usual S47X units I’ve seen. Figured I’d run the LS turbo crowd.

1.) Uses smaller Schwitzer S410 discharge housing with 2.5” outlet. This will work better in my tiny engine bay, but how much do you think this will limit overall power? (they also have the “race cover” with the 6” inlet and larger discharge for added cost)

2.) Center section looks much longer/larger than current Cast S475. Knockoff center section perhaps? Or maybe just an old style cartridge?

According to the Ebay AD it started as an authentic BW cartridge. Then they add severe duty bearings, 360 thrust, 76mm billet extended tip high flow comp wheel and balanced the wheel assy. Uses the 77.5mm/87mm turbine wheel and 1.25AR T4 housing. The numbers cast into the exh. housing appear to be valid BW numbers. It also appears new.

This was an impulse buy. I was looking for a larger turbine housing/wheel mainly. Currently seeing a 2.8:1 back pressure ratio with my Cast S475.(t4 1.10AR 83/74 turbine) I make enough power with the current turbo, back pressure numbers made me nervous though. So I wanted to go larger on the exhaust side. Since I wanted to stick with a T4, by the time I paid for the T4 housing and 87mm exh wheel, it was cheaper to buy this billet unit. Not sure if it was a trade up or down at this point. Should have a direct comparison soon.

It may not make any power or it may fall apart... but it sure is pretty!
Attached Thumbnails -s4752close.jpg   -s4753.jpg   -s4751.jpg  
Old 06-03-2014, 10:02 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bling bling. Could you measure the compressor cover? Interested in finding out what you pick up with it. When are you bolting it up and testing?
Old 06-03-2014, 11:00 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I had some poor dealings with them back many years ago. Getting an order wrong and doing nothing about it. The turbos the construct seem decent. I used a couple of their s256 turbos on import motors with no issue back when they were much cheaper. No complaints with their product, just their customer no-service.
Old 06-03-2014, 11:50 AM
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by sbcgenII
Bling bling. Could you measure the compressor cover? Interested in finding out what you pick up with it. When are you bolting it up and testing?
Not sure when I’ll bolt it up. I want to get the car running well and dialed in with the current turbo so I have a decent comparison at similar boost ranges

Originally Posted by Sarg
I had some poor dealings with them back many years ago. Getting an order wrong and doing nothing about it. The turbos the construct seem decent. I used a couple of their s256 turbos on import motors with no issue back when they were much cheaper. No complaints with their product, just their customer no-service.
Customer communication was really good so far. Ended up with a lot of emails back and forth. Original ebay listing was for the same turbo with an 80mm billet wheel. Stock48 suggested that comp to exh wheel ratio wasn’t optimal. And that I would probably still have high back pressure with the 80.

APT went through all the S400 options they had with me. Then changed my order at no charge with no questions asked.

They offer a billet "race" narrow hub 6 blade 75mm, An 11 blade 75mm, 7 blade 76mm, and a 7 blade 80mm. All for the same price.

Also you can choose .90, 1.00, 1.10, or a.1.25 AR T4 housings at no additional charge. Race comp. cover was a $250 up charge.

I probably would have been better with the 6 blade 75mm. But it felt weird not upping the compressor a little.
Old 06-03-2014, 01:21 PM
TECH Addict

Awesome. It has been a number of years so maybe they learned better. I am anxious to see the comparison.
Old 06-04-2014, 05:54 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Forcefed86
Anyone bought a turbo from Apex Performance Turbos Inc (APT) out of California? Opinions? Company seems to have been around for awhile. Very popular over on the supra forums and import crowd in general. I was cruising E-BAY and threw out an $899 offer on $999 asking price and they accepted. It arrived last night. Couple things looked different compared to the usual S47X units I’ve seen. Figured I’d run the LS turbo crowd.

1.) Uses smaller Schwitzer S410 discharge housing with 2.5” outlet. This will work better in my tiny engine bay, but how much do you think this will limit overall power? (they also have the “race cover” with the 6” inlet and larger discharge for added cost)

2.) Center section looks much longer/larger than current Cast S475. Knockoff center section perhaps? Or maybe just an old style cartridge?

According to the Ebtold started as an authentic BW cartridge. Then they add severe duty bearings, 360 thrust, 76mm billet extended tip high flow comp wheel and balanced the wheel assy. Uses the 77.5mm/87mm turbine wheel and 1.25AR T4 housing. The numbers cast into the exh. housing appear to be valid BW numbers. It also appears new.

This was an impulse buy. I was looking for a larger turbine housing/wheel mainly. Currently seeing a 2.8:1 back pressure ratio with my Cast S475.(t4 1.10AR 83/74 turbine) I make enough power with the current turbo, back pressure numbers made me nervous though. So I wanted to go larger on the exhaust side. Since I wanted to stick with a T4, by the time I paid for the T4 housing and 87mm exh wheel, it was cheaper to buy this billet unit. Not sure if it was a trade up or down at this point. Should have a direct comparison soon.

The comp cover looks cheesy. Also you should have opted for the 92mm exhaust wheel/1.25. i would return it due to not everything looking like genuine b/w parts.
Old 06-04-2014, 06:53 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

According to the Ebay AD it started as an authentic BW cartridge. Then they add severe duty bearings, 360 thrust, 76mm billet extended tip high flow comp wheel and balanced the wheel assy. Uses the 77.5mm/87mm turbine wheel and 1.25AR T4 housing. The numbers cast into the exh. housing appear to be valid BW numbers. It also appears new.

Glad someone else jumped on that grenade! Their 80mm billet is good for the price. I assume there is some China in these to keep the price this low.
Old 06-04-2014, 08:33 AM
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by dmaxvaz
The comp cover looks cheesy. Also you should have opted for the 92mm exhaust wheel/1.25. i would return it due to not everything looking like genuine b/w parts.
Appreciate the input!

How familiar are you with BW/Schwitzer/AirWerks products?

I’m not familiar enough with them to say it doesn’t look “genuine”. If APT tells me it is a genuine BW part, I’d tend to believe them. This isn’t a fly by night overseas company. They have been around for awhile and the supra/import crowd seems pretty happy with them.

I’m not saying you’re wrong either. I’ve got some emails going back and forth with them now. Anything I find out I’ll let you all know. I’m totally neutral at this point.

I liked the idea of a smaller cover personally. The typical S400 stuff is huge! A 3” comp. outlet and 3” charge pipe isn’t necessary for a typical JY build. It just makes packaging difficult. A 2.5” cover and 2.5” charge piping will support 800+ HP easily. That’s more than I plan to make.

These turbos were only offered with the 87mm wheel. The 92mm wheel was not an option. The 92mm billet 76 turbo is $1800+ with a T4 1.25 housing. That’s over double what I paid and overkill for my setup. I mainly wanted to drop back pressure a bit. The cast S475 I run now isn’t maxed out power wise.
Old 06-04-2014, 08:54 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I'm guessing it weighs a lot less than a full size bw?
Old 06-04-2014, 09:52 AM
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by a-low
I'm guessing it weighs a lot less than a full size bw?
UPS box said 34lbs. About the same weight I’d guess. I’ll weigh them both when I swap. The only thing smaller is the comp. housing which is alum and won’t knock off a ton of weight. The center section, exh housing, and wheels assy are all larger. I’d guess it’s slightly heavier than the small S475 I run now.

So I’m told by APT the center section is a genuine BW part. “Its longer because it utilizes a special size turbine wheel exclusively to S410 model”. I’d guess it’s probably the cheapest BW cartridge out there with the 87mm exh wheel. Then APT fits the 360 thrust, compressor, and housing of your choice. Good enough for my junker!
Old 06-04-2014, 10:19 AM
TECH Addict

Pretty sure they just mix and match bw parts and maybe create a couple of their own like turbine housings kind of like what bullseye does. Ya gotta remember there are a metric ton of different bw applications out there to choose from.
Old 06-05-2014, 09:32 PM
TECH Apprentice

Appreciate the input!

How familiar are you with BW/Schwitzer/AirWerks products?

I’m not familiar enough with them to say it doesn’t look “genuine”. If APT tells me it is a genuine BW part, I’d tend to believe them. This isn’t a fly by night overseas company. They have been around for awhile and the supra/import crowd seems pretty happy with them.

I’m not saying you’re wrong either. I’ve got some emails going back and forth with them now. Anything I find out I’ll let you all know. I’m totally neutral at this point.

I liked the idea of a smaller cover personally. The typical S400 stuff is huge! A 3” comp. outlet and 3” charge pipe isn’t necessary for a typical JY build. It just makes packaging difficult. A 2.5” cover and 2.5” charge piping will support 800+ HP easily. That’s more than I plan to make.

These turbos were only offered with the 87mm wheel. The 92mm wheel was not an option. The 92mm billet 76 turbo is $1800+ with a T4 1.25 housing. That’s over double what I paid and overkill for my setup. I mainly wanted to drop back pressure a bit. The cast S475 I run now isn’t maxed out power wise.
i use only b/w stuff at our diesel/gas/ repair/performance shop, so yes i'm pretty familiar with them. they are the best bang for the buck, and made in the USA. But it seems you have everything under control, so i'll just leave it alone.
Old 06-05-2014, 10:01 PM
Restricted User

Received 104 Likes on 87 Posts

I'm interested to see how this turns out. The price on some of their stuff is hard to beat, but does it perform as well?
Old 07-12-2014, 12:19 AM
8 Second Club

So even with the little 2.5" outlet, the new turbo makes quite a bit more power than the small S475. Little harder to get it to light off. Need to play with my 2 -step and adjust it for this turbo.

At 24lbs I managed an 8.94@157.6 with a crappo 1.47 60'. Also trapped 159 @ 25lbs creeping to 26 the last 100rpm or so.

Last outing with the cast S475 it was maxed out at 25lbs and trapped 155. (Going from 22.5lbs at 15.6* of timing to 25lbs and 17* I only picked up about 1 mph) So basically this turbo was worth an additional 4 mph on my setup. Also a solid 124 in the 1/8th, picked up about 1mph there. Still on the cheap china 32x12x3 IC. A treadstone is on the way. We'll see how much power that thing is eating up.

Need this sucker to 60' and I could be mid 8's!

Name:  CAM00132_zpst26zofsu.jpg
Views: 1985
Size:  107.5 KB
Attached Thumbnails -8.94-157.jpg   -9.00-159.jpg  

Last edited by Forcefed86; 07-12-2014 at 01:07 AM.
Old 07-12-2014, 12:40 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Sounds good to me.
What size is your engine and what trans do you have?
Old 07-12-2014, 12:42 AM
8 Second Club

Entire build thread link in sig. It's a 5.3/glide.

For basically $50 more than the small T4 S475 I'd say it performs well. Friend just bought the 11 blade S475 from them. Same hot side specs as mine, but it has the larger standard S400 cover.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Borg-Warner-...-/221487905746
Old 07-12-2014, 07:50 AM
TECH Addict

Interesting. They list it as a re-manufactured, not a new turbocharger. I wonder if they are taking used units and rebuilding them and combining parts, haha. But man that seems like you are getting a pretty solid gain over the cast s475.
Old 07-12-2014, 07:55 AM
12 Second Club

Definitely a badass setup man. I've been out at the track trying to dial in my car a little and watched you skate down the track. I'll have to stop by and check it out sometime. Very impressive!
Old 07-12-2014, 01:15 PM
8 Second Club

Should also note the IAT's dropped about 20* at 25lbs compared to the old turbo.

Originally Posted by proace4
Definitely a badass setup man. I've been out at the track trying to dial in my car a little and watched you skate down the track. I'll have to stop by and check it out sometime. Very impressive!
Thanks! Drop by anytime.
Old 07-12-2014, 01:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Was the weather similar? Have you check back pressure yet?

Quick Reply: My $900 shipped Billet “S476” arrived.