Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

microsquirt L33 malibu start up issues

Old 06-29-2014, 06:37 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default microsquirt L33 malibu start up issues

finally got this thing started.
quick recap on the combo:
L33 , truck manifolds , 2 1/4 hot side , 60mm gate , 76mm Gt45 style turbo , 4" down pipe , t-350 w/10"converter. 80lb injectors , (2) 450 pumps , E-85

I am having an idle issue currently. the engine fired right up but idled above 4000 rpm. The IAC motor was fully retracted so i manually extended it full travel and then bolted it back on the throttle body verifying the plunger blocked the hole off completely, started the engine again and now it idles about 2300 rpm . I am using the front passenger vacuum port for fuel pressure regulator and BOV functions. I blocked off the drivers front vacuum port. I have the rear ports hooked to power brakes and MAP sensor (separate lines) . i have the TPS calibrated in Tuner studio and I am still having a high idle.

I have a huge off idle hesitation also so I should have a vacuum leak but I have been unable to find it so far.

I also have a wiring problem for the O2 sensor. The separate gauge seems to work fine but i would not think that it is causing my idle issues.

here is a start up vid . the sound was too loud for my phone to record well.

all help appreciated

Old 06-29-2014, 06:57 PM
9 Second Club

Received 181 Likes on 96 Posts

first I whould make sure the idle motor is closed all the way . you should not be anywhere near 2300 rpm when it is closed I cut the motor off mine and made a adjustable one by welding a round piece of steel in place of the motor and then welded a nut in the center and I found a lag bolt head fit perfect to block the hole so I welded a wingnut and made it manual. . you can also turn the idle screw out and lower it as well but make sure you have all vacuum leaks fixed first.

you want most of your idle air to come from the throttle blade if not it will stall when closing the throttle fast. good luck.

once you get the idle close make sure to re calibrate the tps sensor
Old 06-29-2014, 07:20 PM
Staging Lane

i can see the plunger of the IAC Motor with the throttle body removed and the plunger completely plugs off the air access hole so I am relatively certain there is no way for extra air to come from it.

I have new intake gaskets as well as throttle body gaskets. It should be easy but so far I have not found my extra air source
Old 06-29-2014, 07:33 PM
Teching In

What intake u running
Old 06-29-2014, 07:37 PM
9 Second Club

Received 181 Likes on 96 Posts

make sure your throttle cable is long enuff. if you cant find any leaks back the throttle stop screw down and reset your tps calibration and go from there.
Old 06-29-2014, 07:45 PM
Staging Lane

ls1 intake.
egr tube welded shut
no throttle cable installed yet
Old 06-30-2014, 08:06 AM
Staging Lane

well i think i found my problem.
The idle air hole in the throttle blade is .232" diameter.
I measured the hole on another throttle body and it measured about .153".
someone has previously drilled out the hole size probably for a big cam

I will weld up the hole and redrill to the correct size and see what happens
Old 06-30-2014, 03:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 96 Likes on 67 Posts

I suggest using a Ford fast idle solenoid off a 2000-ish Taurus. Tap one of the air ports and screw in a brass barb fitting. Connect the barbed fitting to one of th eports near the Tjrottle body. Misrosquirt software natively supports this solenoid. Just download a mustnag MSQ file to see the settings.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: microsquirt L33 malibu start up issues