Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

The Mopar guys have taken off the gloves!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2014, 03:01 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

IMO, nothing wrong with good constructive criticism, or light joking like "MAC" posted. The problem is some people are just wound-up to tight, and really need to just relax.

As the saying goes, "Don't get your panties in a bunch."

Anyway back on topic!

I've got to agree, the power wars will go on forever; but....!
The Wall , as far as where the power increase stops(temporally)with factory cars isn't really that far off because of traction limitation. If you notice most RWD high hp factory cars all have 0-60 time fairly close
together. Now if you throw a factory AWD car with very similar hp into the mix the lack of traction in current RWD becomes very apparent.

More power needs , more traction! Otherwise a power increase is useless.
Old 08-15-2014, 03:10 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 99Bluz28
IMO, nothing wrong with good constructive criticism, or light joking like "MAC" posted. The problem is some people are just wound-up to tight, and really need to just relax.

As the saying goes, "Don't get your panties in a bunch."

Anyway back on topic!

I've got to agree, the power wars will go on forever; but....!
The Wall , as far as where the power increase stops(temporally)with factory cars isn't really that far off because of traction limitation. If you notice most RWD high hp factory cars all have 0-60 time fairly close
together. Now if you throw a factory AWD car with very similar hp into the mix the lack of traction in current RWD becomes very apparent.

More power needs , more traction! Otherwise a power increase is useless.
Buy stickier tires problem some what solved lol
Old 08-15-2014, 03:45 PM
TECH Senior Member

Yeah, to a point. I'm just looking at from a manufactures view point with using street tires since you'll never see any of the Big 3 selling their new performance cars with DOT legal drag radials.
Old 08-15-2014, 04:19 PM
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think that the McClaron P1 and the Porsche 918 spyder are taking F1 hybrid technology
and bring it to the street to show use a whole other side of performance cars. It will take a while but I think this the next "horod" frontier. I worked closely with the USGS on a real drive project that used a golf cart PWM comptroller to manage the motor on the real. The tech nerds was messing with the program and the could accelerate the motor so hard it would twist it's own shaft off when hooked to the real. It is mind blowing what they can do with this stuff let alone the controllers buy McClaron and Porsche.
Old 08-15-2014, 05:37 PM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

I really wish Dodge would have put a 305/315/335 etc under the rear of the hellcat. A 275, 28" tire just doesn't look right sitting on the back of a muscle car.
Old 08-15-2014, 08:00 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Mike@Diablosport
It takes all kinds...a few hackers, a few former OEM guys, lots of talent involved

None of them are sharing anything, GM and Ford just haven't made any concerted effort to keep tuners out, which is as good as helping if you look at it that way

The basic effort to unlock and read a GM PCM hasn't changed a whole lot from E40 to E38 to E67, E39a, E78, E92, etc. Ford made some changes to their basic processes with the 11+ stuff but it was pretty simple to sort out as well.

Chrysler decided to release their own tuning software for the 11-up cars assuming that the PCM was encrypted and they would be the only game in town for tuning, that backfired when we announced tuning availability a few hours before they did at SEMA that year

Its an exciting time with all the new 2015 models that are due out in the next few months, I'm sure we'll keep our engineers busy sorting it all out
Anything human made there is a way around. Some things just are harder to get around than others, but with time and effort it can be done.

The recent HP wars got serious when Ford decided to put the supercharger on the 03 cobra. Its been all about HP since then.

Originally Posted by Chris@CBR
NemeSS
Since you posted, that reminds me.You are posting with a banner in your sig
and you more or less promote your alternator relocation kit from time to time.

Now I personally don't have a beef with you, but you are not a paying vendor.
The last time I checked this was not allowed. I see you have a high post count so does this make it ok? It seams that the mods see what they want to see.

"cough cough" The Alchemist. I personally don't have a beef with you ether but is this or is this not part of your duties as a moderator?
If I got to pay he has to pay.
This is only one example. I can think of others with FaceBook links in there sigs to sell there products.
Texas section is so biased about this on how they handle the F/S threads.
Old 08-15-2014, 08:40 PM
Staging Lane

This will last as long as it's profitable and generates buzz.
What killed it the last time around was fuel prices and the insurance companies/costs. Mostly fuel via the embargoes of the early 70's when you could buy a Hemicuda/Challenger for $500 because you simply couldn't get gas to feed it.

Keep in mind, Chrysler(Fiat) is by far the smallest of the big 3.
Back in the 60's nothing held a candle to the cars that came out of Hammtramack. In fact, this really reminds me of how things were then - GM didn't have **** for true bad *** performance cars that were mass marketed (Not just anybody could get a COPO car or L88/ZL1 car), Chrysler was mopping up on the strip and in NASCAR, the closest competitor was Ford.
Same story now, GM sucks. Corvette isn't a muscle car. No back seat. ZL1's are turds.
Ford is not far back with the GT500's.
Hopefully GM and Ford are up to the task that's been laid down by the little guy.
This is a good time to be a gear head.
Old 08-15-2014, 09:04 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 206 Likes on 125 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

Originally Posted by 02SOMSS
This will last as long as it's profitable and generates buzz.
What killed it the last time around was fuel prices and the insurance companies/costs. Mostly fuel via the embargoes of the early 70's when you could buy a Hemicuda/Challenger for $500 because you simply couldn't get gas to feed it.

Keep in mind, Chrysler(Fiat) is by far the smallest of the big 3.
Back in the 60's nothing held a candle to the cars that came out of Hammtramack. In fact, this really reminds me of how things were then - GM didn't have **** for true bad *** performance cars that were mass marketed (Not just anybody could get a COPO car or L88/ZL1 car), Chrysler was mopping up on the strip and in NASCAR, the closest competitor was Ford.
Same story now, GM sucks. Corvette isn't a muscle car. No back seat. ZL1's are turds.
Ford is not far back with the GT500's.
Hopefully GM and Ford are up to the task that's been laid down by the little guy.
This is a good time to be a gear head.

this is the TRUTH !!!!!
Old 08-15-2014, 09:07 PM
FormerVendor

Would you buy the Charger or the Challenger?

I would buy the Charger in white with black wheels.
I have always liked the G8's.
Old 08-15-2014, 09:17 PM
Staging Lane

I am waiting for them to release Charger pricing. If they are as reasonable as the Challengers I may sell the boat and GTX and pick one up.
Old 08-15-2014, 09:27 PM
FormerVendor

The Charger is available in AWD but not the HellCat. I would gladly take on 200lbs in drive train for that setup with AWD.
Old 08-15-2014, 09:33 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by 02SOMSS
I am waiting for them to release Charger pricing. If they are as reasonable as the Challengers I may sell the boat and GTX and pick one up.
Starting around 63k
Old 08-16-2014, 09:02 AM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Default Confused.

I'm confused a little by the GM hate. The knock on the corvette not being a muscle car, ok, it's never been, but it's the best corvette ever, by far, and with plenty of levels and options.

The camaro has more options than ever as well. You can chose a regular SS if you just want a muscular, good looking car that sounds good, but aren't obsessed with racing. Want to cut some weight, there's the 1LE package, or even more extreme, the Z28. Want to mess with GT500s and have a big power car, there's the ZL1. EDIT: The 1LE doesn't cut weight as much as it improves handling and braking.

So unlike the previous years where there wasn't much difference between a Z28 and an SS, now you have real options, and real differences, and not just cosmetic.

I'm not sure what else you're looking for GM to do with the camaro. Show me a Dodge that you can road course race, or lightweight package.

Last edited by The Alchemist; 08-16-2014 at 09:21 AM.
Old 08-16-2014, 09:16 AM
8 Second Club

Received 123 Likes on 92 Posts

Mid 120s in a 700hp car/tank. Yawn
Old 08-16-2014, 10:38 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by rotary1307cc
Mid 120s in a 700hp car/tank. Yawn
4500lb car runs 11s flat in the quarter mile find another stock car from ford, GM that is faster n is a sedan like the Charger...

Give ya a hint you cant find one.

Stop hating and recognize what a great car it is.
Old 08-16-2014, 11:34 AM
8 Second Club

Received 123 Likes on 92 Posts

Blah blah blah, it is embarrassing a stock c6 z06 runs the same times as this supposed monster
Old 08-16-2014, 12:04 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by rotary1307cc
Blah blah blah, it is embarrassing a stock c6 z06 runs the same times as this supposed monster
Comparing a sports car to a muscle car? Guess haters gonna hate!
Old 08-16-2014, 12:26 PM
TECH Senior Member

Big HP sells cars, but big Power-to-weight ratio wins the race!
Old 08-16-2014, 12:29 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by 99Bluz28
Big HP sells cars, but big Power-to-weight ratio wins the race!
Of course but comparing a vette to a Challenger or charger is ridiculous lol
Old 08-16-2014, 12:45 PM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Show me a dodge that can turn for less than $100,000? Not hate, just saying, they focussed strictly on a drag strip time, but why haven't they seen that some people don't like the 4500lb boat feeling from a sports car, or whatever title of car you want to call it. Sports car, muscle car, pony car, clydesdale.

Quick Reply: The Mopar guys have taken off the gloves!!