Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Why are there so few twin turbo setups on here?

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2014, 11:40 AM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Diodes are really only an issue on Powerglides. We have run plenty of diodes on 4L80Es and Th400s with no stator support issues.
Old 07-18-2014, 01:25 PM
8 Second Club

Received 123 Likes on 92 Posts

I don't see the point regardless. Why add another break point/high stress point?

He doesn't need the efficiency of an unlocked stator down track with an 80e when he can lock the converter when the stator would become active anyway

If he locks the converter out the back it will back half unbelievably well

My 2 cents
Old 07-18-2014, 03:21 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by rotary1307cc
I don't see the point regardless. Why add another break point/high stress point?

He doesn't need the efficiency of an unlocked stator down track with an 80e when he can lock the converter when the stator would become active anyway

If he locks the converter out the back it will back half unbelievably well

My 2 cents
You shouldn't ever mix a lockup converter and spragless. When you lock the converter up in a 2 circuit lockup, you lose all converter flow, and the spragless is making tons of heat still, but can't get it out. If he was running a non-lockup converter it would be ok.
Old 07-18-2014, 04:10 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Twins here...it's tight but...a big single and proper DP would be just as much of a pain in the *** if you ask me.(Y-body=00 corvette)

Beats belt slip anyday of the week though...

Old 07-18-2014, 04:12 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Tame!!^ Love it.

Must be fun changing plugs!
Old 07-18-2014, 04:57 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Blackpanther99
Tame!!^ Love it.

Must be fun changing plugs!

Plugs? It's a breeze. Just yank the motor!!!

jk

lol. Actually, passenger side top(cake), driver side from bottom(must have lift-cake but, awkward,). But I guess you can take off the driver manifold, if you didn't have a lift.

Sucks, any way you look at it.
Old 07-18-2014, 06:40 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by V-seriesTech
Twins here...it's tight but...a big single and proper DP would be just as much of a pain in the *** if you ask me.(Y-body=00 corvette)

Beats belt slip anyday of the week though...

That is a busy engine bay. Looks wicked though
Old 07-18-2014, 07:08 PM
TECH Addict

went single for reasons stated. less of a jungle gym in the engine bay. Big single will make just as much as some twin setups, if not more, depending on how big the twins are. I think my single can lay 1450-1500 to the tires without any help. Spool time is a little slower, but the stall, and people not having transbrakes or good tunes plays a factor too. How much "instant" power do you really need on the street is my question. at some point your going obliterate the tires, have to turn the controller down to get it started then feed boost back in once the car has momentum. most of us arent running 33'' slicks on the street. thats why I think c02 is the way to go these days....almost like a poor mans traction control.
Old 07-18-2014, 07:42 PM
TECH Senior Member

Plugs? It's a breeze. Just yank the motor!!!

jk

lol. Actually, passenger side top(cake), driver side from bottom(must have lift-cake but, awkward,). But I guess you can take off the driver manifold, if you didn't have a lift.

Sucks, any way you look at it.
Still looks like a bitch to work on though lol

Something new thats for sure, like it. Gotta say it, I would hate to be that hood
Old 07-18-2014, 08:03 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by I8UR4RD
went single for reasons stated. less of a jungle gym in the engine bay. Big single will make just as much as some twin setups, if not more, depending on how big the twins are. I think my single can lay 1450-1500 to the tires without any help. Spool time is a little slower, but the stall, and people not having transbrakes or good tunes plays a factor too. How much "instant" power do you really need on the street is my question. at some point your going obliterate the tires, have to turn the controller down to get it started then feed boost back in once the car has momentum. most of us arent running 33'' slicks on the street. thats why I think c02 is the way to go these days....almost like a poor mans traction control.
I agree with you completely, however there is just something impressive looking and a "wow" factor when you pop the hood and there are two turbos along with a conglomeration of piping and nitrous solenoids galore. Intimidation factor.
Old 07-19-2014, 12:24 AM
TECH Resident

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Carl Rossler builds the best around thats for sure.
No offense to Rossler, but I would definitely disagree with this, especially in regards to transbrakes.
Old 07-19-2014, 06:58 AM
12 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by boostedc20
I agree with you completely, however there is just something impressive looking and a "wow" factor when you pop the hood and there are two turbos along with a conglomeration of piping and nitrous solenoids galore. Intimidation factor.
If someone popped their hood to reveal a TT setup with a bunch of nitrous solenoids, I would only be intimidated to be hit by flying engine pieces as it probably wasn't built right to require all of that.
Old 07-19-2014, 10:11 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by MUSTANGBRKR02
If someone popped their hood to reveal a TT setup with a bunch of nitrous solenoids, I would only be intimidated to be hit by flying engine pieces as it probably wasn't built right to require all of that.
Perhaps that is the assumption I am wanting you to get. This way you'll be thinking that you'll have it in the bag when it breaks. But in all actuality its only 1 solenoid as it is a dry system
Old 07-20-2014, 08:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Anyone running twin 62/66s?
Old 07-21-2014, 03:56 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by boostedc20
That is a busy engine bay. Looks wicked though
Too busy..working on cleaning it up now, which is why I am going through this chaos. Thank you though.

Still looks like a bitch to work on though lol

Something new thats for sure, like it. Gotta say it, I would hate to be that hood

Yessir. My hood turned yellow prior to heat shielding above turbo housings... but I buffed it out, easily, wrapped everything, never had another issue.

I do cook my breakfast on it though from time to time.
Old 07-21-2014, 04:15 PM
TECH Apprentice

Default twin turbo

only reason I went with twin turbo TTiX kit on the C5 is packaging

very costly and complex, and not really the best for racing as the turbos can become a limiting factor, but only at hp levels way above what I can hook

I'm at 800 rwhp which seems to be the "sweet spot" for running a reasonable tire

boost by speed maybe the secret to planting more or a full blown traction control system that can handle it.

Old 07-22-2014, 12:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by rkreigh
only reason I went with twin turbo TTiX kit on the C5 is packaging

very costly and complex, and not really the best for racing as the turbos can become a limiting factor, but only at hp levels way above what I can hook

I'm at 800 rwhp which seems to be the "sweet spot" for running a reasonable tire

boost by speed maybe the secret to planting more or a full blown traction control system that can handle it.

Curious, FRC with Zo6 brake ducts? Did they ever cross over? Nice CCW's btw!
Old 07-22-2014, 01:01 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Exidous
Curious, FRC with Zo6 brake ducts? Did they ever cross over? Nice CCW's btw!

They never made a SILVER FRC...only pewter...so, either it's a painted FRC....or it's a dabadged Z06.

I have an FRC...NON Z06...I bought factory Z06 ducts...and installed them into my rocker panels. No rocket science(the install). Everyone still thinks I have a "de-badged Z06".

Good looking ride though either way.
Old 07-22-2014, 01:23 PM
TECH Senior Member

Yessir. My hood turned yellow prior to heat shielding above turbo housings... but I buffed it out, easily, wrapped everything, never had another issue.

I do cook my breakfast on it though from time to time.
LOL
Old 07-22-2014, 03:23 PM
11 Second Club

My setup will be for sale very soon if anyone wants it. Twin turbonetics 6665's, treadstone air to air intercooler, devils own meth kit, jgs bov and wastegates

Quick Reply: Why are there so few twin turbo setups on here?