Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Grand National Turbo Build

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2014, 06:56 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Grand National Turbo Build

So after long debate..... (and money) ive decided to put an LS engine on the stand and build it up in hopes of ditching the turbo 3.8.

The Goal is to have a stock block 6.0 capable of running 9.90's on a SAFE tune. I understand that any stock block car is being pushed to its limits running 9's but I'm not gonna push the car too hard anyways. Its mostly a street car.

This is big: i want my engine/turbo setup to look just like the 3.8 setup (front mount turbo/full exhaust/front mount precision intercooler)

The thought:

6.0 Lq4 stock block
4788 turbo
317 heads
ls9 gaskets
victor jr. intake
edelbrock elbow (to mimic the 3.8 setup)
80 lb. injectors
Arp head studs
Arp rod bolts
precision front mount intercooler (have it, mines well use it)

what size cam? (i like those texas speed kits a lot)
which throttle body?
pro charger big red BOV?

for fueling i plan on running dual in-tank walbro 340's to mimic a stock setup. I plan on running a th400 trans with a 9.5 ptc converter and out back with moser axles and a 3.23 eaton posi which is already in the car. I had planned on running the stock ecm with a hp tuner.

Those of you with a g-body has anybody used the ford headers setup for clearance?

Also i currently run an alkycontrol kit from julio spraying M1. Anybody flip this around to work with an LS engine?

how does my build sound.... suggestions welcome, this is my first turbo LS build and i want it to look good. I have a fresh car outta the paint booth and i want to do it justice on the streets....
Old 07-19-2014, 07:39 PM
9 Second Club

Received 181 Likes on 96 Posts

sounds good to me but just like the buicks I recommend not going to big with the cam. I to built my nova based on my experience with the 5 grand nationals iv owned. and love the ls turbo engine . I used a complete 2005 6.0 engine flipped the manifolds forward and down . used the truck intake and t/b ,with a 206/212 cam and a good valve train. a 3000 stall and a 3.23 gear. running on microsquirt. I have not made it to the track yet but it is stronger at 8# than my buick at 22# and drives like a stocker.

sounds like you have a good plan and my guess is once you finish this build you will never go back.
Old 07-19-2014, 09:28 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It can certainly be done. I did the same thing a few years ago.
See the build thread below.
https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversio...c70-turbo.html

Quick Reply: Grand National Turbo Build