Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

THE next true street car build

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2014, 09:12 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Think the mother of god post pretty well sums it up. Can't wait to see more. A guy can dream right?
Old 07-24-2014, 10:18 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dckmn52

I logged in just to post this.
Cannot wait to see more dude.
NO **** - Love this build!!!
Sud'd
Old 07-24-2014, 10:27 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Awesome David. Glad to see this thread finally. I knew it had to be coming soon. Great work.
Old 07-24-2014, 11:35 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Gotta love the QA1 coilovers!
Old 07-24-2014, 06:52 PM
TECH Veteran

David, from what i've learned over the years, its the length AND size of the restriction WITH REGARDS to water flow that make the largest difference.

When im calculating flow AND ft/hd (restriction) in a hydrulic/water system, i dont simply calculate the "smallest" single point. Obviously, the fittings are normally the smallest, but they are a tiny part in the overall flow restrection... Like in my line of work, the math we use suggest that every X amount of fittings equals Z amount of pressure drop/restriction.

I have 1" piping on BOTH inlet and outlet of my radiator and NEVER have problems with the plumbing.

TO reference, i do Geothermal design calculations for a living, i have to calculate flow and pressure needed to achieve a certain goal and ALL of my calculations are based on distance and not a SINGLE or 1" long small restriction.

I Know that a very short restriction would make a larger difference in a shorter overall distance, but with my overall mathematical findings, the length of the restriction makes a larger difference.

I have not cut open a water pump, but i bet that the flow path isnt all that impressive.

Which leads me to believe that the OEM using larger tubing is to NOT add to the overall pressure drop.

Now lets add some thermodynamics to this.

The faster you can move fluid through a heat exchanger, the more heat you can scrub.

This is a balancing game too
Old 07-25-2014, 09:27 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

great info jax. i appreciate the professional input, tho i am not sure where it takes me hmm..

in my reading the hoses are large so that speed is slow and cavitation is kept to a minimum.
that jives considering how close to the boiling point things already are

interesting fluid flow calculator here
http://www.gates.com/catalogs-and-re.../pressure-drop
Old 07-25-2014, 08:43 PM
TECH Veteran

Cavitation would only happen if there was air in the system, i suppose if it all vaporized and turned to steam, but thats unlikely to happen

We all try to rid the systems of air, as that causes pockets and expansion(Pressure).

If your rad is in the standard place, i woulndt get hung up on tubing size. Just use the largest you can fit or use or have or can afford, whatever.

For fun, i'd love to see the actual curve of the GM pump. I could probably rig one up with a pressure gauge and flow meter and make a curve. Would be fun.

A valve, and then a guage, and then a flow meter would tell you what that pump could move for water at what pressure. Use the valve to simulate restriction and measure the output in GPM. I may have to try it.

Last edited by JAX04; 07-26-2014 at 09:45 AM.
Old 07-26-2014, 06:41 AM
TECH Regular

headlights, brakelights, signals,,, sounds like a streetcar to me!!!
Old 07-26-2014, 09:39 AM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yea.... makes me want to completely quit my build lol!
Old 07-26-2014, 01:13 PM
Launching!

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Nice to see you back in the game(in a big way this time) lol. Street racing legend around here haha, if you need any paintwork on it hit me up. Beautiful build
Old 07-26-2014, 09:23 PM
TECH Regular

The build is awesome Dave. I look forward to meeting you, racing and bs'ing. When do you think you'll have it out for testing?
Old 07-26-2014, 09:50 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Everything looks freaking Amazing David everyone involved have done a top notch work.
Are you planning to run A/C & Stereo too? it will be awesome to see mid 7s C6Z and completely street car.

Best of luck with the remaining work.
Old 07-28-2014, 08:33 AM
FormerVendor

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

That pulse leash looks familiar!

Looks great David.
Old 07-28-2014, 01:17 PM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Cavitation would only happen if there was air in the system, i suppose if it all vaporized and turned to steam, but thats unlikely to happen

We all try to rid the systems of air, as that causes pockets and expansion(Pressure).
Air has nothing to do with cavitation. Cavitation is the formation and subsequent collapse of vapor bubbles, caused by a drop in the pressure of the fluid below saturation pressure and a subsequent rise in pressure back above saturation pressure.

Essentially the water in the cooling system is so hot that when the pressure at the inlet of the pump drops due to the suction of the pump, the boiling point is reduced to the point where a phase change happens and the fluid flashes to vapor. Then when the vapor bubbles reach the vanes of the water pump the pressure starts to increase due to the transfer of kinetic energy from velocity to pressure which causes the vapor bubble to collapse and pit the impeller. This also drastically reduces the efficiency of the pump.

It is prevented by ensuring adequate pump head to the suction of the pump to maintain the suction pressure higher than the saturation pressure.

Sorry to interrupt the thread.

BADASS car. Will be watching this one for sure.
Old 07-29-2014, 12:54 AM
8 Second Truck Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Fahrenschnell
Air has nothing to do with cavitation. Cavitation is the formation and subsequent collapse of vapor bubbles, caused by a drop in the pressure of the fluid below saturation pressure and a subsequent rise in pressure back above saturation pressure.

Essentially the water in the cooling system is so hot that when the pressure at the inlet of the pump drops due to the suction of the pump, the boiling point is reduced to the point where a phase change happens and the fluid flashes to vapor. Then when the vapor bubbles reach the vanes of the water pump the pressure starts to increase due to the transfer of kinetic energy from velocity to pressure which causes the vapor bubble to collapse and pit the impeller. This also drastically reduces the efficiency of the pump.

It is prevented by ensuring adequate pump head to the suction of the pump to maintain the suction pressure higher than the saturation pressure.

Sorry to interrupt the thread.

BADASS car. Will be watching this one for sure.
Glad you said it. I didn't have the heart to tell the guy that cavitation can happen without air in the fluid system.
Old 07-29-2014, 11:40 AM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Subb'd.
Old 07-29-2014, 01:03 PM
TECH Senior Member

thanks guys.

we still have NOT ruled out some form of a/c

to be conservative i will be moving forward with -20 for both ends of the water pump/rad since that is oem size(ish)

i am planning to have it running in some form this year, competition incredibly unlikely

gcg the car will definitely need painting but i am still leaning toward wrap at the moment due to cost and maintenance.
Old 07-29-2014, 02:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Explain this wrap! Cost compared to paint?
Old 07-29-2014, 03:49 PM
TECH Senior Member

this is 'frozen black chrome'

and i think i want it I can do the labor just need a hook up on the product.
Old 07-29-2014, 04:43 PM
11 Second Club

Awesome build! Definitely gonna be a monster. I really like the color of that wrap too, make sure and post up if/when you go that route.

Quick Reply: THE next true street car build