Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Turbo oil issues

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2014, 01:55 PM
8 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Turbo oil issues

I just did a custom twin turbo setup on my car with twin garrett T67 ball bearing turbo's with Turboworx exa-pump return. The turbo's are leaned back at about 7 degree angle. I'm running -3 feed lines and -8 return lines Y'd together and then into the pump and to the valve cover. On initial start up it ran for a couple minutes and I noticed oil drip from the v-band on the exhaust housing to pipe on the passenger side turbo. I needed to clearance my cradle a little so I pulled the turbo out of the exhaust housing and noticed the exhaust housing had oil filled in it. I the ordered restrictor fitting for the turbo's and tried it again, I let it run for about 10 minutes and drove a block down the street and back smoking like crazy, looked uder it again and it's leaking out again and my whole exhaust is soaked inside. Could these turbo's be damaged or do I have a drain issue?
Old 08-22-2014, 02:36 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Tim King
I just did a custom twin turbo setup on my car with twin garrett T67 ball bearing turbo's with Turboworx exa-pump return. The turbo's are leaned back at about 7 degree angle. I'm running -3 feed lines and -8 return lines Y'd together and then into the pump and to the valve cover. On initial start up it ran for a couple minutes and I noticed oil drip from the v-band on the exhaust housing to pipe on the passenger side turbo. I needed to clearance my cradle a little so I pulled the turbo out of the exhaust housing and noticed the exhaust housing had oil filled in it. I the ordered restrictor fitting for the turbo's and tried it again, I let it run for about 10 minutes and drove a block down the street and back smoking like crazy, looked uder it again and it's leaking out again and my whole exhaust is soaked inside. Could these turbo's be damaged or do I have a drain issue?
Is your pump working ok? What size restrictors are you running? Are the turbo's brand new? What type of crankcase ventillation do you have?
Old 08-22-2014, 02:49 PM
9 Second Club

Received 180 Likes on 155 Posts

Nothing really sounds wrong there...apart from the BB turbo part. Unless there is a restrictor built in to the core, they will need an external one fitted.

Not sure what sort of seal system BB units use, but get the oil supply sorted first and give it a try.
Old 08-22-2014, 03:02 PM
8 Second Club

I filled a cup up with oil and stuck the return line in it, it drained it instantly. They are brand new Garrett T04Z turbo's, They have .035 restrictors in it. I'm using Mightymouse catch can with -10 fittings in both valve covers and the pcv options
Old 08-22-2014, 03:11 PM
9 Second Club

I filled a cup up with oil and stuck the return line in it, it drained it instantly. They are brand new Garrett T04Z turbo's, They have .035 restrictors in it. I'm using Mightymouse catch can with -10 fittings in both valve covers and the pcv options
See post on other forum.

Have you only done short start/stops ?

Have you tried driving it or running it for longer ?
Old 08-22-2014, 03:35 PM
8 Second Club

I let it run for about 10 minutes and I see oil drips occurring at the v bands with it just idling, then I drove it 2 blocks and thats it, I was smoking up the road so I stopped.
Old 08-22-2014, 03:47 PM
9 Second Club

The Exa pump is more than capable of getting rid of all the oil. As you tested, that thing can shift some serious amounts of oil

Was the oil visible from both turbos ? One more than the other ?

I dislike the long pipes from each turbo to the pump...try sucking water from a Y shaped straw, and one side will always get preference.

Hence keep the divided part as short as possible.
Old 08-22-2014, 03:56 PM
8 Second Club

the passenger side was definitely much Worse

Quick Reply: Turbo oil issues